Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1983 running for 500 - good deal?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 running for 500 - good deal?

Hi guys, I am new to yotatech and have been in the market for a toyota pickup/tacoma or 4runner.

I recently found a 1983 toyota pickup 22r 2wd for 500 but it is in really bad shape. The engine and transmission work perfectly, it has 130,000 miles, and has a flatbed (probably because the bed rusted out because of the different alloy that was used in the bed). The truck is functional and drive able but it has several rust spots (not rusted through though), is dented, and is missing seats, ac, radio, interior door panels, steering column, parts of the dashboard, and windshield wipers. One wheel has a small hole as well so it slowly leaks.

I dont know whether this is a good deal or not? If someone could shed some light on the matter that would be great!
Thanks - Prime
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech!

It is hard to say if it is a good deal or not. Posting some pictures would give us a better idea of what you are looking at.

Are you mechanically inclined?? Do you know how to weld?

Obviously this truck needs a lot of work. Some parts might be hard to find ( like most of the interior and trim).

The work and cost needed to bring this truck up to par may be too much.

What are your plans for this truck?? Camping, trail rig, Daily Driver, restoration project??

From your description, pretty much a full restoration or resto- mod is needed.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM

I didn't take any pictures when I went to see the truck and the craigslist posting has expired so I dont have any pictures
I have worked on my own cars before, but I do not know how to weld. The frame seems solid though and without rust.
I would like to restore this truck to a daily driver condition that also looks nice(rough but nice). If I can get 3rd party parts that fit that will work fine (like a radio and seats). If anyone knows where I could get parts for this truck that would be awesome!
The body panels are partly rusted faded and have some small dents but overall not too bad.
It has a front bumper guard as well.
The muffler also is extremely loud because of a leak and it seemed to have some trouble going up a hill (is this normal?)
I think the truck could pass safety inspection in my state if I added a horn replaced the tires (probably bolted down the seats lol) and fixed the brakes.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Prime
I didn't take any pictures when I went to see the truck and the craigslist posting has expired so I dont have any pictures
I have worked on my own cars before, but I do not know how to weld. The frame seems solid though and without rust.
I would like to restore this truck to a daily driver condition that also looks nice(rough but nice). If I can get 3rd party parts that fit that will work fine (like a radio and seats). If anyone knows where I could get parts for this truck that would be awesome!
The body panels are partly rusted faded and have some small dents but overall not too bad.
It has a front bumper guard as well.
The muffler also is extremely loud because of a leak and it seemed to have some trouble going up a hill (is this normal?)
I think the truck could pass safety inspection in my state if I added a horn replaced the tires (probably bolted down the seats lol) and fixed the brakes.
Even with this additional information you have provided, it is still hard to say if this would be a good buy. This would ultimately be your call. Given what is messing and that this is going to be a daily driver for you, it will all come down to how much you want to spend and how much the car is worth to you.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
In parts it is probably worth $500. Be ready to spend several hundred more on it to get it in road worthy condition. Depending on how nice you want it to be is going to be up to you how much you spend on it and if it is what you want for a daily driver. Myself, when it comes to a used truck, I figure adding another one thousand to the price just to get it mechanically sound. By the time you do suspension, brakes, steering, tires, shocks, and what ever else it is going to need, I don't think you will be far off from a $1500 truck. It really depends on if it is what you want.