Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1982 Toyota 22r (Carb) won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 Toyota 22r (Carb) won't start

Background:

I have a 1982 Toyota pickup SR5.I found this truck in the back yard of a neighbor and he didn't want it so I took it off his hands. I plan on building it for my son, he's 9. The truck sat for about 4 years prior to me getting it. It has sat in my back yard for another 4 years due to some financial stuff.

I put in new plugs/wire/ distributor and rotor. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding the stock Aisin carb. It has a new fuel pump also. I did drain the gas tank, but only refilled it with about 1 gallon of gas. I am getting good fuel and fuel pressure from the fuel pump to the carb. The truck will start using starting fluid but only runs for a couple seconds. It will not start on it's own.

What should be the next thing I check and where should I go from there? I really want to get this thing running.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it run if you pour gas down the carb? If so you might want to check your fuel filter closest to the engine, then make sure your lines aren't clogged, then make sure the pre-filter in the tank hasn't deteriorated and clogged the line too.

If you are 100% sure that fuel is getting to the motor, and you have spark, then it can only be a timing issue or compression (very unlikely unless motor is blown). Did you remove the distributor when doing all the work/checkup?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
Does it run if you pour gas down the carb? If so you might want to check your fuel filter closest to the engine, then make sure your lines aren't clogged, then make sure the pre-filter in the tank hasn't deteriorated and clogged the line too.

If you are 100% sure that fuel is getting to the motor, and you have spark, then it can only be a timing issue or compression (very unlikely unless motor is blown). Did you remove the distributor when doing all the work/checkup?
It does run when I pour gas down the carb. The fuel lines and tank filter were going to be my next guess, but it seems to get plenty of fuel to the carb when I crank it over.

I replaced the fuel filter closest to the engine a couple of weeks ago. I put a new cap and rotor on, but other than that, I didn't do anything else with the distributor.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it starts and stays running with gas poured down the carb then it is definately not getting enough fuel to run by itself. Checking the lines and tank is a good idea but I read those damn aisin carbs can be nightmares even when rebuilt.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM

Ok. I checked the fuel level through the window on the carb...then pulled the plug that is there to get to the jet. Clean fuel poured out of the plug port. When I rebuilt the carb, I checked the jet and it was clean all the way through.

After looking at the FSM, It mentioned a fuel cutoff solenoid. Where is this soenoid located? If this is defective, will it cause the truck to crank but not start?

The truck continued to run when I was spraying starter fluid into the carb, but died shortly after I stopped. I have also tried twisting the accelerator knob on the back of the carb to see if I get any spray from the jet nozzle and it doesn't give a drip.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It could be the fuel cutoff solenoid. Here's a picture of what it looks like and where it is located:

If you want to find out if the solenoid is your problem, you can do one of two things.

1) remove the solenoid completely and insert a plug in it's place (I think it is standard pipe thread - hardware store should have one) and give it another go to see if it runs properly or,

2) remove the solenoid (keep the wires connected) and turn the ignition to the "on" position - You shouldn't have to actually turn the engine over. If the solenoid moves in and out freely when you turn the ignition on and off then it is working properly.

If you haven't replaced the fuel filters and the truck has been sitting that long then it is a good idea to replace them - some trucks had two, some had one. They would be located on the passenger side fender wall and the passenger side frame rail below the filler neck. Might want to drop the tank and give it a good cleaning too - mine was in fairly good shape, but still had a bunch of rust scale in it which caused me some problems. You can also troubleshoot the tank and other fuel delivery problems by bypassing them and feeding the fuel pump (I'm assuming that you have a mechanical pump) directly out of a gas can or bottle to see if the carb gets fuel.

If you haven't already, DO NOT adjust that Aisin carb until you know that everything else is working properly. I've worked on a lot of carbs and that damn Aisin carb is the biggest pain in the rear to tune.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Did you mean the auxiliary acceleration pump (AAP)? The pump has a little rubber boot on it. This comes in a carb kit and should be working but if its not squirting fuel when u snap the throttle then its not working. This doesn't really help it start or run, it's just for acceleration.
You could hold your hand over the main barrel of the carb and start it. If it runs this means you are too lean, maybe a vacuum leak?
I've seen cases where if that fuel cut off solenoid doesn't work the truck wont run.
If you said you checked spark already and your getting fuel why not check timing?compression?