Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Need a new torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Need a new torque wrench

I have one similar to this Craftsman unit.

However mine only goes up to 75 ft lb, and I need one to go higher to tighten the Toyota lugs properly.

Mine goes up to 75.

Reading the reviews on the one above, that model does not look promissing, and the plastic collar breaks after awhile.

Some of their other wrenches command up to $600.
What have you used successfully without any breakage of the wrench?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

After reading up further on the Craftsman one, I refuse to buy it.
Many of the reviewers posted stating that is was shameful for Sears to even have the Craftsman name on it, and only a one year warranty.

So what am I to do?
Why not go to the source that uses torque wrenches on a daily basis?

I called up my local Les Schwab Tire Center and they use Armstrong torque wrenches there.
My contact ordered me a 25-250 ft lb model, same one they used a few weeks back on my rig when I got the new tires/wheels installed.

It should be here Tuesday.
The model # he gave me is not coming up on a web search, but it may have changed.
And Armstrongs website is not loading for me right now.

But a search for wrenches brought up this model that may be it or similar.
http://www.toolsource.com/micrometer...d-p-98199.html

Although the lower price of the Sears one is great, having the plastic handle break later on is not.
Best to spend a little more now and get something that will work when you need it.

I will update this thread when I get the actual unit.
A tip from the guy at Schwab, always put the wrench back to zero ft lb when done to take the tension off of it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, I've used the one below for the past 30 years. I get it calibrated about every 10 years and it's always spot on. During road racing season I use it to check wheels 4X each race day for twenty events per year. I've never checked reviews, and just now found out what it cost (it was a gift). Seems decent for the price:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...que-Wrench?s=1
Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Corey,
In my work I use torque wrenches from 25 inch lbs to 600 foot lbs.

I buy my snap-on ones on EBAY. The micrometer style does need to be turned down to minimun when stored. The breaking beam style does not. I like the flex head instead of fixed.

RANT ON!
(My local "tire store" runs them down with impact, then uses a torque wrench. The wrench just clicked, didn't rotate the nut at all. They said it was 100, I showed them they were at 175. The nut HAS to turn before it clicks or it is too tight!)
END RANT
Old 08-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a Craftsman 1/2 and 3/8 drive and they both work fine. I got them on sale for under $100.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hey Bob, that one looks similar to the one LS ordered for me.

Dave, my local LS store will use an impact wrench on regular wheels, but if they see someone has aftermarket wheels such as mine, they will do it by hand.

One reason I have dealt with this shop since 1991.

I think the one I am getting has a flex head.
I saw them a few weeks back use it when they put my Gorilla locks on.

Brian, yours are probably similar to the old one I have that goes to 75 ft lb.
Never had a problem with it, and will use it for other stuff, but I have to go new since it does not go high enough.
I hope yours does not break like in the reviews I have been reading.
One reviewer had a cure, but it would have to be implemented from the factory.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually in the market for a new one. I had company issued ones for the past number of years, both of which were Proto I believe and were nice. I noticed Sears had there regular ones on sale last month in the mailer, and now they have the digital one on sale. I'm really not to sure about either. And Purchasing online used ?Has anybody had to send these in to be recalibrated or anything?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Proto was another brand the sales guy at Les Schwab mentioned to me today.
He said they were good.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Yea, I have no complaints. It's just the cost factor. You might as well buy a snap-on or other name brand. They all fall into a certain price range if you want quality. Ebay has a ton of snap on ones for sale, I'm just unsure about them being screwed up from not being taken care of.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

I only buy the snap-on ones on EBAY that look good (not beat/rusty) I try no get the newest one listed (I think the part # ended with a, b, c, etc).

When my work used to check the personal ones, it was good. They don't do that now.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When I worked for United Airlines their torque wrenches were top notch and calibrated every 30 or 60 days, if I recall correctly.

But for auto use, that level of precision is not required.

Believe it or not I've been using a Harbor Freight TW at home for about 5 years now. I think its a Pittsburgh. Its a 3/8" and goes from 20-100ft/lbs. Been thinking about a smaller in/lb and larger as well. No complaints considering its an import. Something to consider if you aren't using one every day.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:31 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really all you need is a tire iron, you can easily torque the wheels on by hand. I actually tightened mine on with a 4 way iron and checked with a torque wrench, 90ftlbs and I barely tried.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:45 PM

I need them for other things also. Infact I had to borrow one just a few weeks ago to torque the nuts on my steering rack "new bushings". It's one of those tools that fall into that catagory of " If you need to borrow it more than twice you might as well buy it"!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:50 PM
CJM

Generally its a good idea to have an inch and ft torque wrench, I would buy harbor freight pittsburg as they arent half bad and the amount of use they see is worth the small cost.

Could always have them calibrated but my friend has had good luck and they arent off by maybe 1/2 a pound at most which isnt a big deal (ftlbs one).
Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 PM

After having a Craftsman torque wrench get wonky on me (clicks at 70lbs but when I turn it up to 75lbs it put another 360 degrees on the nut w/o clicking - oops)

I just shelled out for a SnapOn...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 AM

The split-beam type torque wrenches made by Precision are the same ones that Snap-On sells. Very well priced for a quality instrument.

I have the 50-250# flex head one, and it cost me around $250 when I bought it years ago.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 AM

I got the 250 ft.lb craftsman several months ago.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It is much higher build quality than the one listed in the first post for only a little more. So far I've been really happy with it.

Hmm just read reviews on their site and it appears some had a lot of trouble with it. I haven't noticed any of these problems yet, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited by FyrHazard; 08-19-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by 86tuning
The split-beam type torque wrenches made by Precision are the same ones that Snap-On sells. Very well priced for a quality instrument.

I have the 50-250# flex head one, and it cost me around $250 when I bought it years ago.
I have seen the beam types with a huge dial, those turn me off, but what is this split beam stuff?
I saw a few listed in yesterdays search, but did not check into them.

The one you posted almost looks like it has a digital readout.
If so, that is radical.

I am still going for the one Les Schwab ordered for me, but it never hurts to have two

One will stay in the rig, and one in the home tool box.
A man can never have enough tools.

Fyr, yeah, it is the way the handle is designed on the Craftsman's that is causing the breakage, then the handle free spins.
This is why I am looking into a different make this time.
Otherwise I would be all over it since most of my tools are Craftsman.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Armstrong's page is back up.
http://armstrongtools.com/catalog/pr...sp?groupID=910

It is the 25 to 250 model.
Should be ready for me to pick up tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I have seen the beam types with a huge dial, those turn me off, but what is this split beam stuff?
I saw a few listed in yesterdays search, but did not check into them.

The one you posted almost looks like it has a digital readout.
If so, that is radical.
No digital readout, but it's the Precision Instruments torque wrench, also sold under the Snap-On brand name. It has a small, easy to adjust dial. You can change from 75# to 250# in a couple seconds. Very positive click and slight break-away feel upon reaching the torque setting. To spin down to zero again, it takes 2 seconds and a quick spin of the knob.

The manufacturer says that due to the design of this torque wrench, it's not necessary to spin it back to zero, but old habits die hard.

With this style, there is no large handle-knob to spin around and around and around to get to your torque setting, only to have to spin it around and around and around to turn it back to zero for storage.

It sounds like I sell these things. I don't. I'm a licensed technician, and have used many torque wrenches over the years. For wheel nuts and large bolts that require a 1/2" drive, this thing is the cat's meow. No affiliation with the manufacturer, etc etc. Just a happy customer. I own two of these, one for work, and one for home. Got rid of all the other ones.

For smaller engine bolts (cam cap bolts and stuff) I use a 3/8" drive Snap-On micrometer style torque wrench with the flex-head.

Last edited by 86tuning; 08-20-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a new torque wrench