Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Spartan Locker Review

Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spartan Locker Review

I've been lurking on these boards for a while and I don't see a lot of info on the new Spartan locker, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

I had been itching for at least a locked rear end for quite a while and decided to first try a welded differential. I bought a second diff for $50 and welded it that way I still had my original diff in case I didn't like it. While the welded diff was great off the pavement, my truck is also a DD and was kind of a pain in the #$% on my morning commute! My truck would bounce and squeal while I backed out of my driveway, and I was worried that I would eventually break something. SO, after looking at all the options for selectable, full carrier auto lockers, LSD & lunchbox lockers I decided to go with the Spartan. I couldn't bring myself to spend the kind of money they want for a full carrier or selectable locker, and I liked the on pavement benefits of the LSD options, but I wanted a fully locked diff. A lunchbox locker seemed like the best option for my needs. I chose the Spartan over the Aussie or Lock-Rite for a few reasons.

The Spartan's pin & spring setup looked much beefier and easier to install than the other two. The Spartan is supposedly made from stronger materials, and it also comes with a new cross pin for the carrier. It was pretty close in price to the other two, so I ordered it from Randy's and had it the next day! Installing the locker itself was a piece of cake. Only problem was that on my 4 cyl. carrier, I had to remove the ring gear to remove the cross pin, so once I had it all back together, the gear's backlash had to be reset. No big deal if I had a dial indicator, but a $45 trip to the local drivetrain shop took care of that in short order. If you are handy with a wrench, this install is very doable, but you may need to take it in after to make sure the gears are set right, but that didn't break the bank and was still much cheaper than a Detroit.

As for road manners, it definitely beats the welded hands down on pavement though it does have it's quirks. While going around a sharp corner, the locker does allow the outside tire to overrun the ring gear but only if there is very little torque going into the pinion on the diff. If you are engine braking while turning or if you use too much throttle the Spartan will lock up suddenly and there will be clunking, banging and a tendency to understeer slightly. While testing it's manners, I was engine braking down a very steep and SHARP curving road and the Spartan would get into a cycle where it lock suddenly and the tire would bounce then unlock then lock back up causing a sort of pulsation in the rear axle. This was quite loud and I will try to avoid this like the plague since it CAN'T be good for anything back there. It is worth noting though that this was a very nasty residential street and had VERY sharp corners. If I pushed in the clutch in instead of engine braking everything was fine. As it WILL lock up fully in a turn if you apply too much power, I would notice that when I hit the throttle in a turn I would suddenly get some understeer after it locked, along with the familiar clunk. It also added a little extra play in there that is slightly noticeable while shifting gears, but not a deal breaker. If you learn to use very smooth and minimal throttle while in a sharp turn, it will work perfectly. It also seems to be happier if don't shift gears while in a sharp turn. Some people seem to be concerned with it clicking in a turn, but it's not really very loud. You have to roll down the window, turn down the stereo and really listen for it to hear it. I really couldn't care less about that anyway.

Off road, it's not much different than the welded. It is a VAST improvement in off-road capability over the old open differential, and I would rather burn my truck to the ground than put an open diff back in there. After a couple days, I have learned to adjust my driving style to avoid upsetting the locker in a sharp turn. In my opinion, the benefits of this type of locker far outweigh their flaws. So, all that being said, I am now considering putting one in my front diff too. If I had to do it over again, I would buy another Spartan.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Very nice!

Yukon Spartans are realitively new to the market and probably the reason why you didn't find mucho info on them. I just put one in my front IFS 7.5" and really like it. Unfortunately, I only have one trail run on it(which, btw, it performed FLAWLESSLY and I only got it to BANG! once in a fully locked turn, uphill, sideways...). It is very quiet and VERY easy to install AND remove again if you happen to need too...which I did 6 times....not the lockers fault.......stupid shims....

I would recomend one for the front.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM

wowww. this helps me a bunch! i was just thinking of getting one bc ive heard of the pin breaking in lockrights and that spartans had thinker pin..but overall this has helped! ill be ordering mine soon hopefully.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm waiting on the 4 pinion version to come out, I was told they had plans for it to start being sold in the summer.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so, if i put the spartan lockers in the front diff, does this mean i will have to unlock my hubs to drive on the street?(2wd). i prefer to be able to 4by on the fly. i'm also getting mixed feelings about auto lockers in the front diff in a daily driver. we don't get snow here, only heavy rains. would it be better to move my lsd to the front and put the locker in the rear or just put a locker in the front? any input would be great. the guys around here all have arb's or open diffs (they obviously like to work more than i do) so they really don't know.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leroybrown
so, if i put the spartan lockers in the front diff, does this mean i will have to unlock my hubs to drive on the street?(2wd). i prefer to be able to 4by on the fly. i'm also getting mixed feelings about auto lockers in the front diff in a daily driver. we don't get snow here, only heavy rains. would it be better to move my lsd to the front and put the locker in the rear or just put a locker in the front? any input would be great. the guys around here all have arb's or open diffs (they obviously like to work more than i do) so they really don't know.
I wanna stress to you to NOT stay hubs in all the time. It puts unnecessary stress on your CV's which will eventually break (ask me how i know...).

Great review on the locker. It looks like I will still be going with an Aussie but this has definitely made me stop and think...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM

no cv's

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I wanna stress to you to NOT stay hubs in all the time. It puts unnecessary stress on your CV's which will eventually break (ask me how i know...).

Great review on the locker. It looks like I will still be going with an Aussie but this has definitely made me stop and think...
____

no cv's, solid axle. 1997 hilux... the last year hilux was available with a live axle(in latin america anyway). i love this truck. no daytime running lights. no seatbelts in the back. and the door doesn't say ding ding ding when you open it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yup Brian he's got a 97 HILUX not Tacoma, = factory SFA

Still waiting to hear someone using one in the front that has had it in snow. That's my only worry with a front locker.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the front differential become completely disengaged when the hubs are unlocked and the transmission is in 2wd? otherwise why keep your hubs on if you have a locker? i guess my previous question has now become; will i be able to drive comfortably (you know what i mean) with the locker in the front. because i'm in 2wd i thought that with no force going to the front driveshaft the wheels could spin at different rates like the back does when you put the clutch in. or does having the hubs locked mean the front is locked?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM

no if the hubs are locked the axles will still turn with the wheels even though the transfercase is in 2wd, this goes for both IFS and SFA/SAS.
This also goes for IFS ADD trucks as well.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-13-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 PM

no if the hubs are locked the axles will still turn with the wheels even though the transfercase is in 2wd, this goes for both IFS and SFA/SAS.
This also goes for IFS ADD trucks as well.
_____
so this means i'll get clicking from both axles in a parking lot.
so.... is it safe? i mean relatively. who needs traction when you truck doesn't even come with seatbelts.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Leroy if u want a front lock or anything of the sort up front u need to unlock ur hubs front lockers do not handle great on the pavement at all and xtreme if u plan on driving on pavement in the snow I wouldn't reccomend anything other then selectable front or rear you can get use to the rear but it can be very scary even when wheeling and u hit ice it kicks you everywhere and thats with a spool where you can predict how it will always behave.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 AM

vance uyeah that's what I heard. I have also heard you can tweak the lunch box type lockers in how much they need to lock/unlock, but haven't really looked into it yet, also I have been thinking a trutrac or retrofitting a supra LSD or similar instead of a lunchbox. ARB will most likely be out of the question due to budget constraints and a spool is out of the question as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 AM

well, i guess it'll come down to budget. it would probably be a good idea to start out with just one anyway. i've decided that i'll give the spartans a go. i decided to do my gearing first, so what i would have spent on an arb setup i got my 5:29's and i'll be able to get the spartan. throw that little sucker in the back and my lsd up front.
are there any toyota electric lockers that fit in an 8" 4cyl diff?
my landcruiser has one but it is a bigger diff.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 AM

extreme22r; don't waste your money on an lsd. i have one in the rear and it only works for mild. if you really need it, it doesn't work. that's why i need lockers.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Leroy I would keep the LSD out back since in the front u can control when the locker is used by having your hubs in and out. And extreme have you looked into zip lockers their only 600 and I have no idea how to tweak a lunchbox.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 AM

Also Leroy you can get a e-lock out of like tacomas with the Ted package or from the land cruisers but it takes some modification to the axle housing.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM

hmmm. not really what i wanted to hear but way better than doing the swap and not liking it. the only saving grace is that it hasn't snowed here in about 22,000 years. i don't mind driving a quirky rig by myself but i have a 3 yr old and i don't really want to crash in a rainstorm. i'm still getting the spartan but i think i'll put it in the back so i can keep my hubs locked. i really like the ability to just put it in 4by. say there's an accident and i want to drive up the bank to get out of traffic or my road is blocked by 4 feet of water. i think the worst part of it is that i get lazy. if i'm just driving along and i see something i'd like to wheel i generally won't if i have to get out and unlock the hubs. but at the same time i don't want to lay out the cash for selectable lockers. i'll see if they have tacoma wrecks here. labour is cheap here so if you roll your truck 5 times it still gets fixed.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 AM

thanks for help it will help me make my decision now
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Thought I'd share my experience with Spartan lockers. I have them in front and back on my 85 Hilux with manual steering. Love them... Aside from changing my driving style on the street these lockers work bitchin. My only complaint is it's a bitch to turn with manual steering but that will soon change with the p/s upgrade.
I've ran hills in Johnson Valley ( KOH hills for those not familiar ), John Bull in Big Bear, and countless hills and trails in Ocotillo Wells.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for a reasonable priced locker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spartan Locker Review