Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

BFG A/T's

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG A/T's

Street. on the street the BFG's are preform great. I've heard of alot of people complaning of poor traction in the rain, but I haven't had any problems. The BFG's are one of the more agressively tread AT tires, but highway noise was barely noticable even with the windows down. overall I'm very pleased with the BFG's road preformance.

Offroad. Offroad is where the BFG's really shine; I have repeatedly been suprised at what the BFG's can handle. I'm not saying they are as good as a MT but for AT's I think they are at the top of the pack in offroad preformance.

Snow. In the snow the BFG's had good traction, but in some situations I found myself wishing for a more agressive tread. However I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the snow again.

Overall I'm very pleased with my decision of the BFG's. Hope this helps with your tire selection.

Last edited by Emurunner; 04-09-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I completely agree, the BFG AT's are a great tire all around. There are better tires for individual specific scenarios and applications, but all around, the BFG has never failed.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm looking for new tires right now myself. You guys talk aboyt BFG AT's. Are these the same as the BFG Rugged Trail that comes on the Taco's stock? I'm considering going to a 265/75-16 on my 99 taco 4x4,Ex-cab,5-sp. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BFG Rugged trails are not the same as the BFG All Terrains. The Rugged Trails are just a cheap stock tire for many trucks, the Taco included, that looks good and has the BFG name. The All Terrains are a much more rugged, offroad geared, all around better performing tire for the most part.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:42 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the input. So, that being said, I use my Taco for my work truck as well as towing my boat (3500lbs) in the summer. I rarely go off road so I want a good street tire that has good light duty off road capabilities, snow ect. Any suggestions? I should mention I drive this truck about 22,000 mi./yr.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Emurunner
Snow. In the snow the BFG's had good traction, but in some situations I found myself wishing for a more agressive tread. However I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the snow again.

Overall I'm very pleased with my decision of the BFG's. Hope this helps with your tire selection.
They are a snow rated tire, so how is it you wish to have more of an aggresive tread? I am just wondering how ya get that. Looking at switching to them this fall after a bit of sliding with my Dun rad rovers being my first winter back in MN.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:13 AM

I ran two sets of these on my 4Runner before going to BFG Muds. I now have a set of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great tires - agressive enough, not too noisy, and they look great.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Please read the rules for posting in the product review section.

That being said, I have owned several sets of BFG All terrain TA KO's and they have performed exceptionally well in all areas.
The only thing I dislike is the amount of road noise produced.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Great tire but for daily drivers with occasional off roading there's better and cheaper options in my opinion still tho' nothing is as recognizeable as the tread pattern of a good 'ol BGF AT and I see 'em everywhere.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Thank you for all the positive input on tires, this helps alot. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Sorry if I did. I'll read up on the proper way to post.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I have them on my 2000 4Runner, but have had a little trouble keeping them balanced. I have run them in the Snow, Rain, and Off road. No problems with traction. I have a set on my Jeep CJ-7 too!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Another great aspect of these tires, that not a lot of people are mentioning is the 3ply sidewall. Not a lot of AT"s have that thick of a sidewall, giving the BFG, IMO, better quality.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fstdraw
Thank you for all the positive input on tires, this helps alot. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Sorry if I did. I'll read up on the proper way to post.
this section is for posting reviews, not asking questions. that's the mistake you made

bob
Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 AM

The tires are alright, they performe better than expected on road. They have okay on road wet traction. But they kicked some but doing some minor off roading with my poser 2wd. I have a few complaints that I think needed to be adressed with these tires, the wear on them isnt that great. I think they are only gonna last a year or so. That was a bad thing for me since they are so expensive. They pick up more rocks than a damn geologist. Thoes rocks it picks up get thrown out at freeway speeds like Nolan Ryan's old pitching. I like the tires, this is me second set. The only set that I have ever bought that was larger than stock. I get the tires rotated and blanaced every 2 months now. And that only helps them wear evenly, but still quickly. At this rate I might as well buy Interco SSR, at least they look really cool and will make my truck look like a hard core off roader. As for the tires, Im iffy on buying them for a third time. Im looking into thoes cool Nitto Terra Grappas (I wish I had that kind of money), but seriously Im looking into Revos, Swampers, and thoes Good Years. Everyone on this board seems to be partial to Revos so they are worth a look into. Plus if you look into the bargain section Costco seems to be running a promotion on the tires. But enough of me rambling on
Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

I am also pleased with the BFG A/T's. I now have over 30k miles on them and absolutely love them. The wet traction is not all that great, it's does fair in the mud depending on if it's the watery/red clay mud mix (I do not have experience with any other type mud) and is much more quiet than mud terrains.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM

does anyone have experience with these tires on loose sand? I plan on doing a lot of beach driving with my new fishing truck
Old 04-14-2005, 12:47 AM

Ive dipped into the sand but I air-d it down a bit. Traction was okay, but I would not risk going into very soft sand. If I rember right in sand wider is better. COrrect me if im wrong
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

I ran these in 315/70/17, and while I was very impressed with the overall handling, I did wish for a little better traction in the rain. (This was not a problem with my MTRs) However, I do think that for the aggressive look, performance off-road, and handling in all but rain, they are some great tires.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 AM

I ran a set of 31" for 2 years on my wifes truck. The snow traction is wonderful, and rain traction was good since they're new. Offroad, they handled a wide range of terrain without failing me once. They are a great all around AT. I hauled heavy loads and they took all the abuse I could throw at them.
With that said, I couldn't keep two of them balanced and the stiff side walls made for a harsh ride for my wife not to mention the increased road noise over stock street tires. But it was the perfect tire for what I needed. Too bad she had to drive it on a daily bases.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:55 PM

I have a set 31's on my 99 tacoma 4x4 that have 65,000 miles on them with a good amount of tread left!With proper rotating (i rotate every 3000 miles)these tires will give outstanding service.I will definately buy another set when these finally wear out.

Quick Reply: BFG A/T's