Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Vermejo's OffRoad Log 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your camera does not matter

Originally Posted by JamesD
Tell me that is not color enhanced. If it is not then I'm buying a D60.
Like any hobby, profession, passion or otherwise; you will be very disappointed if you rely on equipment alone. –It’s the person behind the machine.

If you’re interested in photography, I recommend following these links before buying equipment as a fundamental overview.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

http://www.thelightandtheland.com/pa...technical.html

The two images you inquired about were not “enhanced”. Much more than camera goes into my images. No one will ever see things like me; no one will ever see things like you -that is the beauty of photography.

This thread is meant to promote the spirit of vehicle exploration and share my experiences. For more - Visit my blog NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vermejo
The two images you inquired about were not “enhanced”. Much more than camera goes into my images. No one will ever see things like me; no one will ever see things like you -that is the beauty of photography.
You looking too deep into this. This is all I wanted to know.

Thanks, James
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 AM

The weather forecast called for snow and rain that day. With that information we packed camp in Gunnison early and started our Pearl Pass ascension under cloudy skies. Not much was going to stop us as I had been planning this route for quite some time. Since I was a teenager I had wanted to do Pearl Pass; back then I wanted to ride it by mountain bike. I would have never imagined over a decade later I’d be winding up the mountain in a vehicle.

The snow started shortly after timberline and made for some excitement along the shelf road. Meghan was lucky enough to get the vertical view leading up to the summit. At the Pass the snow and wind was coming in full force. Jumping out of the truck for photos was a great rush for the senses. The weather, darkness and boulder fields made for an eerie decent.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Down Pearl & Up Independence

The views descending Pearl Pass were breathtaking- what we considered the best of the trip. The weather seemed to be clearing nicely until we hit the pavement into Aspen. I knew Aspen was close as a Lamborghini blew by like we were standing still. I’m sure they had a good laugh at my NM plates in such weather. We balked at the gas prices once in Aspen and instead decided to use the cover of the pumps to air up. It was a full-on snow storm heading up Independence Pass.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Impressive. You've inspired me to start learning a bit more about photography than point and shoot.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM

I appreciate all the kind words

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Impressive. You've inspired me to start learning a bit more about photography than point and shoot.
I hope you find it's something you enjoy
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Leadville CO

Leadville was a good rest from the previous days’ travels. It was also a chance to meet up with our friend Steve who had guided us through Chinaman Gulch in his FJ-62 the previous year. Our sacred watering hole in Leadville is The Grill Bar & Mexican Food. This trip we managed to keep the tequila shots to a minimum. The storm brewing on Massive and Elbert provided a fine backdrop for sitting on the cantina’s back patio. We would have had great difficulty had we attempted Pearl Pass any later.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS!!!
Inspired me to gear up and head out in the mountains for a drive!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Incredible shots
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Great pics. Looks like good times!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM

I love the mountains, and your shots are increadable! feels like your really there, only thing missing is the wildlife in your shots. and if thats a D60 I totally want one. sf
Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Leadville to Denver

We made an early morning departure from Leadville under what seemed to be clearing skies. We had originally planned to run Mosquito Pass in route to Denver, but were forced to make a more realistic route given the snow. After fueling the truck and filling up on coffee we made our way to Climax. We were quickly greeted by snowflakes and ice.

Beau Jo’s of Idaho Springs - Our reward for making it out of the mountains without incident. The nachos were a bit overdone, but they still tasted good.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM

The Beaten Path- Denver

We love these parts of the journey as much the backcountry.

Denver Highlights - Meghan's fix at the Th‘Ink Tank, Flagship REI, Chocolate Stout at Vine Street Pub, Wahoo’s Tacos (good, fresh & cheap), Slee Off-Road, Stonehenge Stout at Bull & Bush and a Mediterranean joint near DU.

Th’Ink Tank

Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM

The Beaten Path- Denver

Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Slee Off-Road- Golden

I lost my better half in Denver. Due to work Meghan flew home to NM leaving me solo for the remainder of the trip. After dropping her off at the airport, I headed to Slee where I met Christo and got a tour of the shop.

Somehow, while experiencing sensory overload and blurred vision from the metal works, Cruisers and buggies; I managed to buy a new ARB snatch block and tree strap. As I walked out, Christo jokingly said - “Don’t get stuck”. A few miles down the road the first snowflake hit my windshield. I had already decided to run Mosquito that day. He was joking, right?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Mosquito Pass

Red Hill Aspens

Into South Park

It snowed from Denver to Kenosha Pass. My hopes of making Mosquito were fading until I saw blue sky over South Park. In Fairplay I fueled and made a brisk pace to Mosquito Gulch. The window of opportunity would prove to be a short one.

Last edited by Vermejo; 10-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Mosquito Pass II

Ascending past the London Mine, the weather quickly turned. After driving through a few snowdrifts on the upper shelf road I stopped to walk ahead. I was short the summit by a few hundred yards and separated by what would become waist deep snow.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Defeated by the elements I slowly backed down the shelf to a turnaround. Most of the tracks I made on the way up were nearly filled. My ambitions shifted to getting off the mountain with both driver and rig intact. Passing London for the second time the snow began to let up. I aired up in Fairplay and departed for the Arkansas River Valley.

Pavement felt good.

A few days later someone tried Mosquito from the Leadville side and ended up spending the night in their truck.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 PM

South Park & Arkansas River Valley

Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Tin Cup, Cumberland Pass, Alpine Tunnel, Hancock Pass & St. Elmo

Quick Reply: Vermejo's OffRoad Log 2009