Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

TanYards - Greeville, SC and personal Land in Roebuck, SC : A day of wheeling

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how did your 'wheeling trip at Hush Hole go Kiesur?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no. I went up to Ashville to give Mike his 3rd member back. I have directions though, hahah, so when we want to go we can.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
no. I went up to Ashville to give Mike his 3rd member back. I have directions though, hahah, so when we want to go we can.
Sweeeet! Yeah we will definitely have to go sometimes. I wound up spending the night at my gf's house. I figured since it will be my only day off in a long time then I might as well use it and got wasted with my gf and her mom lol. Anyways... what exactly was going on with your 3rd member? I saw from earlier posts you were putting it in and stuff like that. Did yall switch or trade or something? Let me know if I'm being nosey, I was just wondering.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
got wasted with my gf and her mom lol.
that sounds like a real religious person too me, sense my sarcasm.

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
what exactly was going on with your 3rd member? I saw from earlier posts you were putting it in and stuff like that. Did yall switch or trade or something? Let me know if I'm being nosey, I was just wondering.
My ARB locker was leaking air so I changed the seal and the orings meaning I had to pull the carrier. so when I went to put it back together I couldn't set the backlash since I didn't have a vice to hold the housing in, man! forgot about that. so I borrowed an spare 3rd from Mike so I could drive my 4runner until I got my 3rd put back together. then when I got mine back together I swapped it back in so I had to drive up and give his back to him. So he basically "goodguy" lent it to me.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah my gf didnt really get drunk or anything, she wanted to know what they tasted like. Her mom however was a different story. Ok so now I'm straight on the 3rd member deal. I am thinking about going with an ARB set up, how do u like them? I thought about doing both front and rear axles but someone suggested to me it would be cheaper to run a retrofitted e-locker rear then ARB up front. What would you recommend?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think it would be cheaper since you'd have to do all the housing mod stuff and also find a 3rd with an elocker and regear (if you're regearing). I have heard of the solenoid in the elocker not liking water too much either so that might pose some problems since it's right there at the chunk and goes swimming frequently, especially around here. personally I prefer the ARB setup all around. but if it's cheap you're looking for and don't mind the lockers not being selectable I go with Detroits.

Last edited by keisur; 12-12-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

I thought about Detroits or Lock Rites but I dont like the cons that go along with them. I would rather just have a selectable locks for reliablitly without waiting for wheelspin and for the "flurries" we get. How much was your setup if you dont mind me asking? Did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? I have acess to specialty tools and knowledge at my shop if I decided to eventually do it myself.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I ordered complete front and rear 3rds with new 4.88 gears and ARB lockers installed so all I had to do was pull my stocker opens and install the new ones. So basically I didn't do any of the gear setup stuff, only the pulling and installing of the 3rds and I installed the compressor, switches, and ran the electricals and air lines which was easy but time consuming. the two 3rds cost me like $2100 and then I paid for the cores which was another $300 and then $60/3rd for shipping. they give you prepaid stickers for returning the core housings so returning them is free. but I kept mine and sold the rear to a guy in town (in Houston when I lived there) and I still have my front. it's at the house in Houston though. I sure could have used that rear 3rd that I sold though! if you have the tools I'd just order the parts and do all the installs yourself. if you aren't regearing then all you have to do is set the backlash since you won't be pulling the pinion. that's easy (now that Tim at Foothills taught me how to do that).
Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 PM

Any of yall from around the Greenwood area? I want to go wheelin some time or another.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
im in simpsonville
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dixiebogger
Any of yall from around the Greenwood area?
Greenwood?! Mines more of a skin color.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dixiebogger
Any of yall from around the Greenwood area? I want to go wheelin some time or another.
*Redneck voice* I'm from Pickens.