Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Sunflower Mine Trail, AZ Feb 16th

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunflower Mine Trail, AZ Feb 16th

put up some pics and words at www.soaztim.com

Last edited by SOAZtim; 02-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Great pics once again Tim.

I have not run Sunflower with the water levels so high. Sure looks like it was a ton of fun. Do you think the entire loop is makeable, or just to much water?

Really like your "fog" pics. Looked like you guys were recreating one of the Lord of the Rings movies.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
Great pics once again Tim.

I have not run Sunflower with the water levels so high. Sure looks like it was a ton of fun. Do you think the entire loop is makeable, or just to much water?

Really like your "fog" pics. Looked like you guys were recreating one of the Lord of the Rings movies.
There can only be one. Crap. that was highlander huh...
I knew I was recreating something, just not what.
It was fun, but there were some drops and bumps under the water that took about a gallon more away from my gas tank. DOH! The Land Rover took some serious abuse and some plastic is now missing.
I saw a guy named seth heading in as we went out. He said it was passable, but was redicuously scary. Lots of wash outs and getting stuck. Sounds like a trail for us. (oh yah. I am now officially an idiot again, financially, I think I may have just ordered some expensive treats for the runner... oh my... )
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
It was fun, but there were some drops and bumps under the water that took about a gallon more away from my gas tank. DOH! The Land Rover took some serious abuse and some plastic is now missing.
Not that damage is good, but glad to hear you are messing things up when I am nowhere near around. I was starting to get a complex with our recent run to damage history.

I saw a guy named seth heading in as we went out. He said it was passable, but was redicuously scary. Lots of wash outs and getting stuck. Sounds like a trail for us.
When I get some gas money, and the rains calm a bit... I have a route scoped from Shea and 87 all the way up to Sunflower. I believe it's 100% dirt. I also believe it's 100% passable... but I have been wrong before.

(oh yah. I am now officially an idiot again, financially, I think I may have just ordered some expensive treats for the runner... oh my... )
Oooohh.... what ya get? Lockers, straight axle conversion, 40's, full hydro, tube bender, plasma, MIG...? You didn't just get new seat covers did ya?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Not that damage is good, but glad to hear you are messing things up when I am nowhere near around. I was starting to get a complex with our recent run to damage history.

When I get some gas money, and the rains calm a bit... I have a route scoped from Shea and 87 all the way up to Sunflower. I believe it's 100% dirt. I also believe it's 100% passable... but I have been wrong before.

Oooohh.... what ya get? Lockers, straight axle conversion, 40's, full hydro, tube bender, plasma, MIG...? You didn't just get new seat covers did ya?
one to one ratio....

I got one of those cool scent trees for the rear view. It smells like pinesol!!
and maybe a set of gears and a locker

Last edited by SOAZtim; 02-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol you guys are funny. really nice looking trails and scenery. i really wish ca had that kind of stuff. oh well, its only an 7 hour drive away lol.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

and maybe a set of gears and a locker
A locker... WTH? After all the runs we have done I have only had to give you one mini tug, and that was most likely because your rear diff was on the way out. If you add any mods to your vehicle, you are going to have to start leading and I really don't want my SAS 4Runner to get tugged out by your "stock" ride.

You would have been better off with just getting the air freshener and making a sizable donation to the "Elvota Empty Tank" fund.

So, elaborate please. Ratios and locker type? When will they be in? When will I get a chance to damage them??
Old 02-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator
lol you guys are funny. really nice looking trails and scenery. i really wish ca had that kind of stuff. oh well, its only an 7 hour drive away lol.
Come on down infiltrator! CA has some AMAZING wheeling though. If only I wasn't into to prerunners when I grew up there I could have seen more than just the deserts!!

A locker... WTH? After all the runs we have done I have only had to give you one mini tug, and that was most likely because your rear diff was on the way out. If you add any mods to your vehicle, you are going to have to start leading and I really don't want my SAS 4Runner to get tugged out by your "stock" ride.

You would have been better off with just getting the air freshener and making a sizable donation to the "Elvota Empty Tank" fund.

So, elaborate please. Ratios and locker type? When will they be in? When will I get a chance to damage them??
Stay away from my grocery getting soccer mom suv!
4.88, arb locker, compact compressor, I just hope they get in soon Racer Offroad is busy building real race trucks so I hope they get the parts in and work on my little vehicle soon. Maybe a week and a half though... DOH. Want to pull a front and rear diff?!

Last edited by SOAZtim; 02-22-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:29 PM

yeah, im saving up for my 3.4 and my solid axle for sas. ill be out there in a few years and we can roll out for a big adventure... maybe ill have a dog by then too... hmmm.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, im saving up for my 3.4 and my solid axle for sas. ill be out there in a few years and we can roll out for a big adventure... maybe ill have a dog by then too... hmmm.
Sounds good. Who knows what loops will have been located by then.

I might have even found one from AZ to CA... that would be sweet.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Steve and Tim if you guys decidedto run Sunflower again let me know. I'll try to come up from Yuma. I kind of want to run it again.

Tim front and rear locker or just rear?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole
Steve and Tim if you guys decidedto run Sunflower again let me know. I'll try to come up from Yuma. I kind of want to run it again.

Tim front and rear locker or just rear?
? not sure yet. Just a rear for now... I gotta see if I can sell my dirt bike first!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM

I love Arizona to be honest. My favorite Basketball team is the SUNS!!

Did anyone watch the game?? They crushed the Celtics!!!
Stevie Nash!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

I love Arizona to be honest. My favorite Basketball team is the SUNS!!

Did anyone watch the game?? They crushed the Celtics!!!
Stevie Nash!
I missed it, but I love Arizona too. Freedom feels freer out here.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

Im new to the yotatech forums. Looks like it was a fun trip and very entertaining. I have a stock 1995 4runner. Im looking at getting a body lift on it and was wondering if you guys could help me with the install? let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Grey4runner
I'm new to the Yotatech forums. Looks like it was a fun trip and very entertaining. I have a stock 1995 4runner. I'm looking at getting a body lift on it and was wondering if you guys could help me with the install? Let me know.
Welcome to YT and AZ.

What kind of help are you looking for? Advice and supervision can be found pretty easily. Asking for a garage full of tools and someone willing to lend a hand might take a bit more effort.

So, you need someone to answer some questions... or turn the wrenches?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Awesome pics! And an awesome trail. I'll have to get my brother and go check it out.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also believe it's 100% passable... but I have been wrong before.
Huh? What? Elvota wrong?

"Yeah but it looked like it went through on Google Earth."
Elvota, February 9, 2008
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TomCat
Awesome pics! And an awesome trail. I'll have to get my brother and go check it out.
Its a great one for a quick day run. It can easily turn into a full weekend of exploring too. So much to see and so many side trails around the main mine.

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Huh? What? Elvota wrong?

"Yeah but it looked like it went through on Google Earth."
Elvota, February 9, 2008
Those will forever be Elvota's famous last words! The weekend before he said the same thing. It's always an adventure with elvota!