Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Prescott, AZ. trail report from 11 June 05

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prescott, AZ. trail report from 11 June 05

Just two of us- Brian and Jessy (I Love Tacos) from Tuba City, AZ came along in his 98 Taco. I really enjoyed meeting both of you!

We left from Humboldt, AZ. and headed up thru the Iron King Mine. The Iron King hill is pretty easy - gives you a taste of whats to come.

On Amulet Mine road, we came across a group of dirt bikes with an injured rider, he had a dislocated shoulder. Loaded him into my truck, his bike into Brians, and headed to the fire station in Walker, AZ. We got him to the paramedics, unloaded his bike and headed out the the Hassayampa River.

After lunch at the Hassayampa, we went around to the southwest side of Maverick Mountian to Riggle's Hill. The rains we had this winter were heavy - resulting in a washout that turned an already nasty off-camber section into a nightmare. The soil is made up of loose shale and sandy soil. I fell down getting out of my truck to look at it. It's almost a guarentee that you will end up down in the bottom of the V. Last year I could drop into the V and stradle the notch - but the V is now 12 to 14" deeper, and the high side is now washed away up at the large rock to the left. I could have done it, but after talking to Brian, we decided to turn around to avoid the inevitable body damge to his truck.

After back tracking to the optional route to Maverick Ridge, we climbed up to Halford Hill. It took us about an hour longer than normal because of the downed trees we had to clear. We were the first ones over the top this year! Brian did real well on Halford Hill - only sustained two small dents under his drivers side door. He now knows why we have sliders! Brian also has a great case of AZ Pin Stripping now

Total time on the trail was from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM - a good day wheelin'!

pic's @ http://community.webshots.com/user/crawler976

click on the 11 June 05 album.

I also have a 11.2MB video of Brian on the ledges of Halford Hill if someone will host it for a few days!

Later!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM

this was a very fun ride. lookin forward to another one somewhere. i hope ill have sliders by then. haha.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:18 PM

I didn't see the photo gallery the first time around. (Is it possible to insert webshots pictures into posts?) This time it caught my interest to find out where you guys were. I hate that kind of off camber stuff, especially when you look out your window to the ground 10 feet below.

There are so many roads out in the Bradshaws, and so much history I don't think there are many places in the entire country that can even come close.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:11 AM

I've got two routes thru this area- once it cools down some I'll set up another trip. The longer route goes south from Palace Station on Bodie Mine road - it comes out near Wagner Rd. Along with being a fun trail ride, it's really scenic to boot.

As far as posting pic's, they come out too small to really see on YT's photo server.