Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Montana Mountain - Florence, AZ 8/12/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montana Mountain - Florence, AZ 8/12/06

Had a very nice run today with some guys from Cornerstone Christian Fellowship in Chandler. Trip was up to Montana Mountain, just outside of Florence Junction off the US60. There was my 4Runner, an FJ Cruiser, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Wrangler and my dad's Ford Explorer. Best part of the run was the river crossing that I forged to check the depth on It was too deep for the Explorer and the Pathfinder, so we had to find another path.

Make way, and I'll give it a shot...

Might as well get my money's worth...

Xterra forges it too!

Playground...

My dad gets some flex goin' on...

The cabin we ate lunch at...

And the mine shaft that I went into and saw a bat...and then ran out

On the way out...

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20, YOU DIRTBAGS!!! (the 4Runner gets stern with some new recruits...)

Last edited by RR DIFF LOCK; 08-12-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Very cool assortment of makes and models on your trip!

I bet that was really interesting to compare them over the same terrain.

Nice pics

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you guys had a great trip!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you tell the FJC guy about Yotatech?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Nice pics and description Scott. Yeah, that is pretty cool that you guys had such an assortment of rigs. Nice water crossing too. I bet it was flowing pretty good thanks to the storm(s) last night.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Nice pics and description Scott. Yeah, that is pretty cool that you guys had such an assortment of rigs. Nice water crossing too. I bet it was flowing pretty good thanks to the storm(s) last night.
Oh and I know you've told me a hundred times not to induce a drift in my 4Runner, but this time I paid the price. As we were on pavement and approaching a stop sign, there was the huge dirt lot that we had all stopped to air down (see 1st pic). Yeah, I decided to hop off the road and hit the dirt lot at about 30-35 mph. I flicked the steering wheel and threw the 4R into a slide between 1 of the trees and the fence (again, see 1st pic - I think it was the tree directly behind my 4Runner in the pic). I was sliding pretty fast and once the truck gained traction and committed me to a line, I was heading straight for the tree (think back to Willard Springs), but because I was sliding straight for it, if I would have corrected, I would have thrown the truck the other direction and possibly hit it right in my B pillar and wrapped myself around it. So I just had to hold on and plow through the tree branches. I came so close to the tree, that the trunk actually folded in my driver's side mirror and shattered the glass. YES, that's how close I was to it. Now granted, the tree wasn't very thick, so my 4Runner probably would've won that one, but not without significant damage. Holy schnikeys! Tons of scratches all over my A pillar and roof line, but nobody got hurt. Just my pride... :pat:

Last edited by RR DIFF LOCK; 08-12-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 AM

Getting your monies-worth is what you want to do after you pay to have the hydrolocked engine repaired.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 99 4Runner
Oh and I know you've told me a hundred times not to induce a drift in my 4Runner, but this time I paid the price. As we were on pavement and approaching a stop sign, there was the huge dirt lot that we had all stopped to air down (see 1st pic). Yeah, I decided to hop off the road and hit the dirt lot at about 30-35 mph. I flicked the steering wheel and threw the 4R into a slide between 1 of the trees and the fence (again, see 1st pic - I think it was the tree directly behind my 4Runner in the pic). I was sliding pretty fast and once the truck gained traction and committed me to a line, I was heading straight for the tree (think back to Willard Springs), but because I was sliding straight for it, if I would have corrected, I would have thrown the truck the other direction and possibly hit it right in my B pillar and wrapped myself around it. So I just had to hold on and plow through the tree branches. I came so close to the tree, that the trunk actually folded in my driver's side mirror and shattered the glass. YES, that's how close I was to it. Now granted, the tree wasn't very thick, so my 4Runner probably would've won that one, but not without significant damage. Holy schnikeys! Tons of scratches all over my A pillar and roof line, but nobody got hurt. Just my pride... :pat:

Glad you are OK.