Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

M4R4A Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the record, I have some mighty big chunks missing from the lugs of my MT/R's... That rock rips the crap out of any type of tire, and that's what happens when you actually get out and drive it instead of being "hardcore."

For those that were at Portal, there was a K1500 Blazer in the camp next to me and he took a damn near stock K2500 longbed out Saturday. That 3/4 ton had nearly bald tires on his way out. he came back with dents, but the bottom line is he came back.

Sandpaper rock, yeah, but it's technical wheeling for anyone and hard on equipment. Bottom line, everyone had a good time... Sometimes what happens on the run, stays on the run.

Mike
Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please, let's refer to the tires by the correct name. All in attendance know what they are and it is not Geosomethings...

I think Schaefer paid something ridiculously low for the Yoko's and you got a good deal on the 315 MT/R's, hence the half off. I like mine most of the time and will likely get more because there is no 37" Homo, the KM's are not getting me the right way, and the Krawlers are too expensive to DD.

I think it was the carrier more than the bumper. That is more than 100 pounds hanging outside the wheelbase. The good news is the bumper and rear of the truck are fine. The video does that encounter some justice, but if you could only hear the slam echoing down the canyon and watch the pained looks of the people watching, then you would know.

The real reason I could not drive it was because there was a Sway-Away part of my truck.

I agree, that was a just plain hard trail. At this point, I consider Rocker Knocker a solid axle only obstacle. Why? Because the CV's break and one needs to be loaded past the breaking point to climb. Hunt's driving style broke, Schaefer's driving style broke and my driving style said forget it, the CV swapping bay is closed. Heck, SteveO broke 2 axles and he was not even getting on it real hard. I give that truck 3 months until the solid axle fairy visits.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
The MTR's did well, the YokoHomo's did just as well. Bruce, on that ledge you must have gotten a better line, that's all. Remember, Steve also had 5 people in his 4 cal base model compared to 2 in your 6 cal. If you include the financial aspect into performance the Homo's win, hands down. They cost 1/2 as much as the Mt.’s and perform just as well in that environment.
Jim, you've drunk Steve's Kool Aid!

Steve's an interesting character. He prides himself on thrift when it comes to some things, but will "spend the extra mile" for getting details "right." (His speedometer calibrator comes to mind.)

My tire opinion? There were a couple times this week when I thought Steve's tires were letting him down. But that's really difficult to call. They're definitely above acceptable. But it seems to me, if thin tread gap designs worked as well as wide gap designs, tires designed for rock crawling, and offroading in general, wouldn't predominantly have wide gaps. Steve's have small gaps, so my guess is they're inferior. (This goes for Steve Hunt's, too.)

But what trumps it all is, Steve is a legend in his own mind , so we appropriately give him ˟˟˟˟˟. So in the final analysis, it's obvious to me that Steve has settled on an inferior design, whereas Bruce has aimed for true excellence.

"I'm BruceTS, and I approved this message."
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Heck, SteveO broke 2 axles and he was not even getting on it real hard.
He was pushing it pretty hard the second time (but it was cool!).
Old 10-13-2004, 07:46 PM

but if you could only hear the slam echoing down the canyon and watch the pained looks of the people watching, then you would know.
If you had seen the grins and grimaces on our faces (at the same time) while patching my junk, you would have seen that we knew someone was getting after it!

Mike
Old 10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Aurora Sandman
Jim, you've drunk Steve's Kool Aid!
That may be true.

I didn't really see where tires made much of a difference out there. In mud sure they do, in sand sure they do, but on those rocks it just doesn't make that big of a difference.

So I went back to the basics, economics. The homo's are cheaper and they did just as well.

All in all it's just fun to give each other a hard time. If you don't get ˟˟˟˟˟ then no one cares.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM

I didn't really see where tires made much of a difference out there. In mud sure they do, in sand sure they do, but on those rocks it just doesn't make that big of a difference.
Yeah. Since the average Moab surface is more similar in quality to asphalt than dirt, it wouldn't be entirely surprising if street tires did better than 4x4 tires!
All in all it's just fun to give each other a hard time.
To a point. But let's face it, some of us (not me, and probably not you) put a lot of time, effort and $ into trying to come up with an optimum rig. So it might not be entirely painless to have someone making jabs at us and gloating over things like axle breaks because it feels like a personal insult. One reason I find it particularly enjoyable to wheel with the Colorado Toyota crew is that everyone is very complementary and encouraging of one another, which makes it real fun for everyone. (So if I suck, I can count on them not to be honest with me. )
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

I think Schaefer paid something ridiculously low for the Yoko's and you got a good deal on the 315 MT/R's, hence the half off.
From: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7&page=2&pp=25

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
You can get MT/R's in 315/75/16 but they were like $200 each though my Discount Tire connection.

The Yoko's were only $150. That's really all I wanted to spend on a tire that will get chewed up and wear out anyway.
A $30 difference isn't half price
Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I am a lucky man and felt like I was at the end of the luck with that attempt. All of the change from the ashtray is now strewn about the truck, I still cannot find the remote for my CD player, my ghetto bass broke free and general havoc ensued. The rear weight and overhang was killer along with my shorter wheel base.
I can't remember who I was chatting with while you were attempting to climb, but when they suggested you try to bump at an angle, the only thing that came to mind was that xterra that flipped over trying the same thing. You pressed your luck, unlike me, I should have not done that last extra bump when my axle broke.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
From: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7&page=2&pp=25

A $30 difference isn't half price
This is becoming a :dead horse:

You both have 35's, you both have crawlers, you both built your own bumpers, you both have the same rear suspension, you both did the same obstacles, you both broke an axle, you both talk ˟˟˟˟˟...let's move on.

Steve's truck was built for AZ wheelin, he will do better there.

Bruce's truck was built for the desert in CA, he will do better there.

I think you guys should just kiss and make up, call it a truce
Old 10-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

All in all it's just fun to give each other a hard time. If you don't get ˟˟˟˟˟ then no one cares.
EXACTLY!

I wish WOMEN understood that concept!

Said tires will now be referred to in the future as "Steve's tires" instead of Geosomethings...

Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Xterra rolled on the staircase from getting and staying on the gas too hard. I was not at too steep an angle and did not sit and spin. Did you break an axle there that I was not aware of?

Sorry for the math error. Steve will likely never run MT/R's again because the tires he has work in the desert. He gets to travel around a lot, but most of the time it is desert.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Ya all did a fine job - In my opinion, tire pressure probably has more of an effect on climbling than the difference in design between two good tires. I've got some good shots of Steve's geoblings in action on the rocks and they seemed to be sticking real well. (probably helped out by Cheese's wizzz) I didn't get much of Bruce - seems like the camera man just wasn't up to the task this go around.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
And we have our first calendar winner folks!!

From the cheese video I too thought about the xterra.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
In my opinion, tire pressure probably has more of an effect on climbling than the difference in design between two good tires.
A lot of wisdom in that.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
great shots david! quality not quantity. i especially liked the one of you on the edge of the world...leaning AWAY from the abyss
Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I noticed that too! Although at the time, it felt like I was leaning the other direction. I've got a bunch more shots, I guess everyone is sending them to Steve S. for a compilation CD/DVD.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

hey all- great trip, already looking forward to next year.

in no particular order:

peter: thank you for all the support and willingness to help. look forward to getting back and going to hollister hills with you.

steve hunt: though i did not get to wheel w/you, it was good meeting and talking with you

steve s: i trust you...

adrian (someday i will be worthy enough to call you "cheese"): enjoyed watching you struggle and learn, and BSing with you. look forward to seeing your sas.

brent: "sir spotter" and a helluva guy. thanx for watching my back and look forward to being introduced to the g-spot.

joe/bob: what can i say? you guys make me smile. thanx for ... hell, just being you!

david- for me, it was great staring death in the face with you . hope it has turned to experience and learning. it was great meeting and getting to know you, look forward to doing it again.

greg/nicole (sp?)- your support and empathy were much appreciated. thank you for the hard work you did to make m4r4a real. look forward to seeing the results of your bumper project!

mike- thanx for the venison - a real taste treat for me though i only had time to eat a 3rd of it. thanx also for the great chile and the afternoon.

jim- beautiful family, good hanging out with you. go michelle!

lance: my bro...

kyle: my bro of bros who bro-ed me

jeff- though it was routine to you, watching you do that rock obstacle was yet another inspiration for me. thank you for your obvious dedication to both m4r4a and the sport itself.

to all i missed: i really look forward to getting to know you all more. m4r4a was a lot of fun and it will only get better w/age!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Here's some photos I put up for the time being.

http://community.webshots.com/user/good_times
hey lance, what is the story w/that rolled 4runner? the one you entitled "poor 4runner?"
Old 10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

that's the rolled 4runner from lions back a few years ago ( i think ). i know there's a news clipping on yt somewhere.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4&postcount=47

Quick Reply: M4R4A Trip Report