Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Lake Arrowhead backcountry today (SoCal)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Arrowhead backcountry today (SoCal)

First off sorry there are no pictures, camera battery died once we got out there. But here is a link to the section were I had to turn around: http://community.webshots.com/album/511352047CVcBWK

I took my wife and kids up and made a short drive thru the backcountry in the San Bernardino NF around Arrowhead. My original plan was just to go up and take a look at the new bridge at the T-6 crossing at Deep Creek and then go up to Crab Flats but I had to change my plans a little after arriving at the new bridge. Not sure why the FS didn't just leave the submerged cement "block" but with the construction of the bridge they removed alot of the boulders that were there before. this just makes the "enterance" of 3N34 thru dishpan springs that much easier to get thru. They did place boulders across the road, sort of like a gate in a effort to keep the lesser equipped vehicles off the black diamond portion of 3N34. This is where I had to change my plans for the day. I made it over the boulders with no problem but it sort of spooked my wife and she told me if there was one more spot like that our day was over . So after some considering I figured we'd just hop back over thev the boulders and drive thru to the Pinnicles and back to Blue Jay for lunch. As it turned out I was very surprised at how much that entire area from Deep Creek to Pinnicles had changed because of the fire. No more pines, at least no more GREEN pines every thing is yellow or blackened. Needless to say it's been a couple years since I have been to this area. But even with the scenery not as green as I had remembered I got to show my family a few places that they had never seen(Squints Ranch, Devils Hole, and of course the bridge at Deep Creek)and at least we weren't couch potatos for the day.

Dennis

Last edited by Compass Creek; 11-26-2005 at 09:33 PM.