Notices
Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

IFS 4wheeling(pics from today with 90s 2dr)

Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vwfastg60 View Post
im also thinking im going to get a bjspacer and relax my tbars(i have a 4inch lift will i be ok ?)
Originally Posted by Bear80 View Post
BJ spacers on a bracket lift is a bad idea. From the looks of it, you get ok up travel. The only thing would be to put low profile upper arm stops to gain a bit of downward travel.
Umm... BJ spacers were actually deisgned for bracket lifts... they dont affect a bracket lift negativly in any way at all. All BJ spacers do is provide extra droop, no compression or more room for tires...

Go for it, if I wasnt selling my truck I would probally be adding BJ spacers for the droop.. .Just be warned thats extra CV stress and with those big tires that can spell BANG!!

Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
your running 36x14.5's on IFS
Yeah thats huge, I thought my 35's with no BL was big but dang
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that the 1 5/8" spacers would just add leverage on top of what the brackets already do. From what I've seen, yes the spacers started for use on bracket lifts but they where only 1" or less. Which the original design of the spacers where made to relax the t-bars and give UPWARD travel, added drop was just a side effect.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's very interesting to know about the Ball Joint Spacers. It's good to know new things.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did some reading on the bj spacers after what AH64ID said. He is correct that guys are putting the 1.5" spacers on brackets lifts with no issues. I know I first saw them being used as home made units over 7yrs ago. Also some may acutally be 1.5" but I know mine where 1 5/8" even when it was advertised as 1.5" Which really screwed me since I desinged my lift with 1.5", so you should double check and never take someones word.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did some reading on the bj spacers after what AH64ID said. He is correct that guys are putting the 1.5" spacers on brackets lifts with no issues. I know I first saw them being used as home made units over 7yrs ago. Also some may acutally be 1.5" but I know mine where 1 5/8" even when it was advertised as 1.5" Which really screwed me since I desinged my lift with 1.5", so you should double check and never take someones word.
Does the 1/8" reall make a huge difference? Your talking about loosening the tbars a turn or two for the 1.5" lift, giving a softer ride...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going off of memory and the steering you have rancho upper arms right? Those in them selves are effectivally a BJ spacer, as far as realtion of tbar setting to hub location... so with the BJ spacers and rancho arms you had waay more droop than either was designed for, as well as the CV's you had... I would guess the hopping hurt more than the 1/8". but thats just from reading your info, and the average CV break... which happens to people when hopping on stock suspension...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
Going off of memory and the steering you have rancho upper arms right? Those in them selves are effectivally a BJ spacer, as far as realtion of tbar setting to hub location... so with the BJ spacers and rancho arms you had waay more droop than either was designed for, as well as the CV's you had... I would guess the hopping hurt more than the 1/8". but thats just from reading your info, and the average CV break... which happens to people when hopping on stock suspension...
Acutally becuase of the angled desing of the Rancho arms, the t-bars have to be cranked in quite a bit of pre-load, so you cant really look at them as a spacer in relation to hub location. Infact the sapcers are needed with stock t-bars cranked to the max to get me bearly 1" over stock. And even then the way the arms twist the t-bars render them too soft for street use. Anyway, I know a lot of people disagree with what I'm doing but it keeps me busy with a project that I can feel like I'm some what doing some fab work on without doing real fab work, achieve 12" of wheel travel without wideing the track and compaired to other TC kits and such, dirt cheap!

Last edited by Bear80; 11-30-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Acutally becuase of the angled desing of the Rancho arms, the t-bars have to be cranked in quite a bit of pre-load, so you cant really look at them as a spacer in relation to hub location. Infact the sapcers are needed with stock t-bars cranked to the max to get me bearly 1" over stock. And even then the way the arms twist the t-bars render them too soft for street use. Anyway, I know a lot of people disagree with what I'm doing but it keeps me busy with a project that I can feel like I'm some what doing some fab work on without doing real fab work, achieve 12" of wheel travel without wideing the track and compaired to other TC kits and such, dirt cheap!
What torsion bars are you running? When I had the POS rancho my stockers gave about 1" lift, looked really funny with 3.5" of rear lift.... So I put 26mm Sway-a-ways in, got the 3" needed with barely cranking them.... but man I hated that freakin lift.... yeah espically the way it treats torsion bars, but the HD ones worked as good as they could, given the quality of the lift...

I am not trying to knock your setup, i just think there are several factors that lead to the breakage, not just the 1/8" over on the BJ spacers... but certaily a contributing factor...