Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Death Valley 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Valley 2007

1,260 miles. 12 people. 5 days. A once in a lifetime experience.

Pictures are here.

View the Google Map here.

Friday 12/28
Loaded up all 12 people and all the gear. Left Walnut Creek, CA about 8am.
Drove south on I-5, cut over to Bakersfield and proceeded over Highway 178 past Lake Isabella. Caught Hwy 14 to 395 North, then hopped on 190 and turned on Minietta Rd and camped at an unknown mine that Harvey had camped at before.

Saturday 12/29
Stopped by Darwin for a few minutes. Headed down Wingate to Goler Wash. A couple minutes from the Manson Cabin Turnoff, Harvey’s Jeep XJ sprung a coolant leak. The fan/clutch assembly came forward about an inch and the coil on the front of the clutch clipped one of the coolant passages and destroyed the surrounding fins. I had some Leak-Stop with me so we stopped for lunch and waited for the engine to cool off. The leak-stop seemed to work so we proceeded on. We stopped by the Geologist Cabin to sign the log and show the rest of the group the inside. We headed north on the West Side Hwy, stopped in Furnace Creek for a dip in the pool and to see if there were any open camping spots. There were not so we headed over daylight pass via Beatty Rd and camped out by Rhyolite.

Sunday 12/30
Poked around Rhyolite and then headed into Beatty to get some epoxy because Harvey’s radiator was leaking again. We let it cool and sealed it up and then headed over to Titus to reenter the park. Stopped in Leadfield and explored the ruins there. Headed out of Titus and up to Death Valley Ranch (Scotty’s Castle) where we ate lunch. We headed out past Ubehebe Crater and down through Teakettle Junction down to the race track where we walked out to the Grandstand. We camped at the mine above Lippincott.

Monday 12/31
Headed back to the racetrack but this time stopped at the south end where the ‘moving rocks’ are. Backtracked a mile or two and headed down Lippencott mine road into the Saline Valley. Stopped for lunch at the Salt Trams and enjoyed the beautiful reflections off the water. Headed north towards the Saline Valley Hot Springs. We stopped a few miles away and dropped off each student about a 1/4 mile from the next. They were handed a booklet and a water bottle and Bob gave them the rest of the instructions. This was a time to be spent alone talking with God. Bob, Harvey and myself headed toward the springs and set up camp. The students slowly trickled in and then all went up and enjoyed a soak. We ate dinner and hung out with the crazy group that migrates to Saline for new years. There was quite a fireworks display and a lot of fire. Soaking in the tubs watching fireworks under a blanket of stars is incomparable.

Tuesday 1/1
Packed up and headed north through Steele Pass. Visited the sand dunes where we ate lunch and then exited the park. Hot Spring Creek was closed for swimming, but we stopped and checked out the area anyway. We headed home via the Kingsbury Grade and South Lake Tahoe.

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 01-03-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Bump.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Nice looking report. I look forward to reading through it all tonight! Why do I have to work. BLAH!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey my $800 dollar brother! Looks like a great trip. I see the Montero made it out on the trail too.
Wil
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Howdy Wil!

The Montero on the trip was not Landon's. It belongs to the guy who plans the DV trips I attend every winter. Landon did get to drive it though, so he was pretty excited.

It was an awesome trip! Have you been down there yet?

We're planning another March Trip.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is he getting his Montero out on the trail? No I haven't been down there yet. Look like a lot of places to explore. I don't know if I can make a march trip, But give me buzz when it gets closer. Maybe I can get away!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 AM

Great pics. My parents were supposed to be in Saline Valley, at the hot springs, for their 40th wedding anniversary and over New Years. I've been to Death Valley many times and the Saline Valley hot springs once (again, for New Years but back in late '90s).

Makes me wish I lived closer to that area with my 4Runner. Wisconsin is just too far to drive for a weekend or week long trip.

Thanks for the photos!

MadCityRich
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Great pics. My parents were supposed to be in Saline Valley, at the hot springs, for their 40th wedding anniversary and over New Years. I've been to Death Valley many times and the Saline Valley hot springs once (again, for New Years but back in late '90s).

Makes me wish I lived closer to that area with my 4Runner. Wisconsin is just too far to drive for a weekend or week long trip.

Thanks for the photos!

MadCityRich

Oh sweet! By any chance did they take a rental RV out there?