Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Browns test trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Browns test trip

A little video to get you in the mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQo_nKj2UU
So I took a little trip a couple times to play with the freshly rebuilt runner. Just rebuilt my tranny along with a 4.7 kit for the case. Also cut down some half doors for fun time. So to start a couple quick pics of the doors

o and some pas side extensions so that i don't need to remove the ecm. to bad my trucks got different plugs than my donor doors so ive got some extensions for sale.

Me and the dog went out on friday for a day trip and had a good time. cedar trail, a bit of fire break and some others.

Came back into town after 4 or 5 hours of wheelin and picked up the better half from work. haha, friday work. Loaded up some more gear and off to Lolo pass. wasn't sure what to expect and got nothing in return but more want for snow. camped and of course it rained for the half door celebration. to to bad though. drove from zigzag to hood river and found a large boulder field half way.

I can't but i would love to go out with anyone that can play on these.
More road trailin and i decide i want something more so we cruise back into portland. stop by at swapped's, then home for more beer and out to browns again. a bit of phone line to trail 10 (hrm the name???). out around archers and camp. play some more in the morning and let me tell ya, browns is allot more fun (difficult) when its wet. friday was no problem but sunday i was slidin all over the place.

I even got Chelsea to drive. this never happens.

yea it might have been 2 lo 1st gear but she drove.

And then the only real news i have is AIRPLANE HILL IS OPEN. again not for me but good knowledge to have. stopped and chated with a few good lookin jeepers sittin at the bottom.
The first detractor of idiots. (im walkin)

It looked like there was a bypass around the south but this is the main hill

a little further up

And not a good shot but the last set of rocks at the top

These are pictures of airplane from the east traveling west. also went up the easy and down the moderate. the moderate looked fun so we went back up it and had lunch.

Now i haven't played much with "locking" my diffs with the brakes but played with that today. Going up the moderate side of airplane i noticed that if i tried to equalize once i was slipped it wouldn't work. i had to notice before hand i was gonna fail and equalize before hand. doing this i showed my self how much it actually helps. In 2nd gear 4.7 low with brakes equalized i made it up where i would have never been up to in the wet condition just driving. i love finding new things like this out and feel i have a trick up my sleeve. very fun.

Tripped out towards bates road cause i had to turn around last time and i wanted to score but the road was closed. so we crawled the power line back out and headed home. a good trip with great new toys in the runner. going back again next weekend if anyone's down.

O i almost forgot. a few videos for fun cause i haven;t done it before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8M0fPggaU8

Last edited by JeEVeS; 09-20-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Man, I wish I could see these pics!! Stupid work computers!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM

did i not post correctly? i can see them but there on my computer. hrm, sorry if its my bad.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks fun i haven't been to brown's since we all went maybe when i install my lift ill go up there and see if i can break something
Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Sponsor

ohhhh airplane hill looks good..

where is that boulder feild?! that looks fun.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
there are a few new 'gate keeper' type obstacles out there on some trails that were redone late this summer to try to keep some of less prepared rigs from getting between a rock and a hard place... Can Opener is fun
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JeEVeS
did i not post correctly? i can see them but there on my computer. hrm, sorry if its my bad.
No, no not you, my work computers are Photobucket and Youtube BANNED! lol!

Man, looks like GREAT fun!! I wanna go there!!! Love the half doors...I think I'll be tryin to score some spare doors and work on them over the winter.

Oh and nice rims btw!!

Last edited by BigBluePile; 09-21-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Ah man the runner looks good, definatly like yer half doors. That video of buddha drivin was funny. I lol. I almost got mine done just waitin for drive flanges on wednesday.

Nice pics, i wanna go play on airplane hill it looks fun!!!!!!!

Last edited by swapped89; 09-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by swapped89
That video of buddha drivin was funny.
i wanna go play on airplane hill it looks fun!!!!!!!
yea i took like 10 pictures of him drivin then called my self a DA. can't watch a dog drive in a pic. and i really wanna see you play on airplane
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
No, no not you, my work computers are Photobucket and Youtube BANNED! lol!

Man, looks like GREAT fun!! I wanna go there!!! Love the half doors...I think I'll be tryin to score some spare doors and work on them over the winter.
NO YOUTUBE. id die if i sat at a computer and didn't have youtube. picked up the doors cheap now im tryin to sell the glass and motors for some free half doors. and it only took me a half day of fab on the doors. although they are duct taped shut for now.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
there are a few new 'gate keeper' type obstacles out there on some trails that were redone late this summer to try to keep some of less prepared rigs from getting between a rock and a hard place... Can Opener is fun
the gate keepers look like the most difficult im capable off. maybe ill try this weekend with swapped. im pretty sure there was a alt route on trail around the hill.

Originally Posted by Tofer
ohhhh airplane hill looks good..

where is that boulder feild?! that looks fun.
Airplane and saddle up both looked like allot of fun. not alone though. and the boulder field is between zigzag (on the way to the mountian) and hood river. off of Lolo pass road. 3 maybe 4 football fields worth. and enough ground to camp a but load. id be down to go watch a bouldering competition with a buncha folks some day.

So, trail ride this weekend at browns?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Sponsor

what year is the doner plugs from? how much for them?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by JeEVeS

Airplane and saddle up both looked like allot of fun. not alone though. and the boulder field is between zigzag (on the way to the mountian) and hood river. off of Lolo pass road. 3 maybe 4 football fields worth. and enough ground to camp a but load. id be down to go watch a bouldering competition with a buncha folks some day.

So, trail ride this weekend at browns?
i'd love some GPS corrds if you got them... that place looks sweet.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:49 PM

it was from a 92 or 93. i can take some pics of the plugs in the next couple days. and im tryin to post my pic on google maps so i can show you about where it is. Lolo pass is a road that goes north out of zigzag (which is about half way between sandy and govt camp). it turns into fsr 18 (or maybe 16). the bolder field is right around there. im not gps equipped. maybe ill take a picture of my maps.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM

so if you google maps 45.492223,-121.75345 that is about where i was. give or take a mile. but a huge "parking lot" of sand like rubble. a couple mounds to play on. and then this boulder field. driving past it looked fun enough from the road for me to stop by and see so i would say its almost visable.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

So, just north of Mt Hood then? Wow, thats only like 6 hours from me!!! LOL!!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
So, just north of Mt Hood then? Wow, thats only like 6 hours from me!!! LOL!!

it would be west - north west of mountain hood. takes me about as long to get to zigzag as it does to browns. and i live 15 blocks from the center (geographicly) of portland.

And on a side note. Mt. is short for mountian. which makes them sound funny when you say the whole word. Mountian Saint Helens, Mountian Kilamajaro, Mountian Everest. Kinda like MR potato head to you (ok so a few ritas down but ill leave it in for enjoyment)
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM

sweet pics man, ya that bolder field is rad, it claimed my buddys 1st gen p/u, sheared front d-line bolts at the diff and put a nice custom bend in the rear d-line. i think you picked a good height for the half doors, high enough to keep stuff in and out, but low enough to be very usefull.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks, i didn't really know where they were gonna go till i pulled the cuttin wheel out. i bent the outside for the bottom sill of the opening right at the grove in the body line. not much paint chipped and it bent really well right there. it sits just at seat height so i can bend over and touch the inside of my frame rail and see most of the underneath while sitting on the break. i even kept the inside pocket which houses my 1/4 in socket set for quick repairs. i need to figure out a seat belt system though. i kinda want to do an offroading lap belt for the driver. keep the 3 point for daily but have something that dosen't hold my sholders back for offroading. i need to decide if im gonna fall my top half out in a flop befor i do that though. safety first. yeah i said safety first with half doors what
Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
what year is the doner plugs from? how much for them?
so heres the pic of the plugs

also im assuming thx goes to tofer for inputing the video into the thread. mahalo