Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Arizona Strip/Grand Canyon/Southern Utah/Central Nevada trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael042
Here's a few more photos for your album. White Pocket was awesome! The drive down the snowy mountain was memorable (for a lot of reasons!)
Hey, thanks Michael. May I use your route from the e mail if I can figure out how to embed it here?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Last one...I think

In the morning we headed out of Vermillion Cliffs National Monument and headed for the Navajo Bridge and Marble Canyon. I've been across that bridge many times and didn't really think about taking any shots of it. Now I wish I had, as it would help document the trip better, but whats a guy to do?

We had mostly pavement this day, just a few miles of dirt to start out.

The cliffs from Hwy 89. We had been on top of those the day before.

From Marble Canyon, Michael and Al would have to take their leave and from here on it would just be Jan and I. Maps were pulled out and reconnoitering was commenced. We decided to swing around to Page and across southern Utah, ultimately working our way to central Nevada which was already in Jans plans to visit next.

From House Rock Valley the hwy makes a steep climb up again to work it's way over to Page. Along the way is a nice overlook of the valley and across to the Vermillion Cliffs

On the way to Page is also a touristy/famous overlook of the Colorado River called Horseshoe Bend.

This was as much of it as I could get in my little point and shoot camera.

We pavement pounded over to Cottonwood Road in the Parashant/Escalante National Monument and finally, dirt once more.

A little side trip from Cottonwood Road led us to Grosvenor Arch, a much photographed site in the NM.

And finally back on Cottonwood to look for a campsite along Skutumpah Road.

That night as we dined on open fire grilled Brats and black beans we discussed our route for the next day. Our original plan to continue down Skutumpah was scrapped due to a route that would eventually take us over 10,000 ft passes and we had concerns about closures. We decided to backtrack the few miles to Cottonwood and finish it off then get ourselves over to Panguitch and up to hwy 50, the "loneliest highway in America". This would be a long pavement day to get to central NV, but at least we would be mostly alone. This route would also take us across a small corner of Bryce.

Our next leg took us through Basin and Range of both UT and NV. You climb up one mountain range, crest out, and have a sweet arrow straight run down a basin to the next. And over and over and over again.

This range would be our view as we sat soaking in the Spencer Hot Springs near Austin NV.

All good things come to an end and it was the same for this trip. We spent a full day on Saturday, lounging around at the springs. Eating, soaking; relaxing. Sunday morning was a day for early rising and getting down the road. I had 612 miles to roll, hopefully in one day. Jan's adventure continues still. It was off to another spring in NV IIRC and then on to Oregon before returning home.

Color greeted us in the morning sky.

I had long shadows on the passenger side to start the day...

...and long shadows on the drivers side as I neared home at the end of the day.

And that's all she wrote folks.

Thanks for looking.
Mike

Last edited by BLKNBLU; 05-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 PM

Arizona Strip/Grand Canyon/Southern Utah/Central Nevada trip-parashant-20100508.jpg

Michael kindly agreed to let me use this track he made of the trip up through his departure from the group. Click on it to see it larger.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just amazing, thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, great pics and write up. We want to thank you guys again for the invite. Hope to get some pics up soon.

Gary