Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question satellite radio?

hey just wondering how good the satellite radio really is, has anyone out there had any problems with it out in the middle of nowhere, i want to pick one up for that reason but i want to make sure it will work if i am way out in the hills and need to know the score of a game. thanks for any input on the subject.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 AM

The purpose of Satellite radio is just that.... its satellite. If you have view to the skies then you are fine. I have one and the only time it cuts out is when i am going under an overpass or something. Now that I have XM i'll never go back to regular radio... well only to listen to Howard Stern(till he goes to Sirrus).
I think it also depends on your style of music. For me I like to listen to anything and everything so XM is perfect for that. Plus its great having a comdey station to break up the borning songs.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

May be just rumors, but it's still mentioned on Howard Sterns show from time to time.

XM and Sirius to merge?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'll tell you this, I use the radio and CD a whole lot less these days due to XM function on all the time, I've kinda got accustomed to it like cable tv.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tundra_1
hey just wondering how good the satellite radio really is, has anyone out there had any problems with it out in the middle of nowhere, i want to pick one up for that reason but i want to make sure it will work if i am way out in the hills and need to know the score of a game. thanks for any input on the subject.
I haven't turned on my FM radio since installing XM almost 2 years ago.

Like Wickedone said, you _do_ need line-of-sight though. That means that you'll be fine up on top of that ridge, but you'll probably be listening to a CD on the ride up. Heavy tree cover will block the signal from the sat.

In the city, you'll usually lose signal in a tunnel, but some of the more major tunnels (like a couple out here in Seattle) have terrestrial (ground based) repeaters in them and you'll be able to keep the jams going. Tall buildings and such can also be an issue, but again, there are plenty of ground based repeaters around to minimize the signal loss.

Highly recommended.

side note... XM is about to kick their subscription cost, but they're adding two previously extra $$$ services. One is a new channel, and the other is XMOnline so that you can use your subscription at home to get the channels via online streaming.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
May be just rumors, but it's still mentioned on Howard Sterns show from time to time.

XM and Sirius to merge?
There's more (old) babble here about it:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t...r=asc&start=45

It's a pretty stale rumor at this point. A lot of people said a lot of things when the rumor first popped up, but I think Stern's the only one still talking about it. It may be true, but it's unlikely.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 PM

soory guys i should have specified that i was wondering what the coverage was like up here in canada, they don't sell satalite radio in stores here yet some garbage about not having enough canadian content in it for them to alow it here yet, so i was heading down to vegas in may and i was thinking of buying one on the way back up, just wondering if any one else on the site from canada has one yet and if they have had any problems with it, just want to know if i am going to be wasting my money or not, and thanks for you're input thus far.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM

According to both the Sirius and XM websites the companies aren't licensed to operate beyond the continental U.S. Not even any spot beams to Alaska or Hawaii. You would probably only get anything from these services by trolling along next to the border. Then there is the issue of getting billed monthly at a Canadian address. I think you are probably out of luck for the time being.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by tundra_1
soory guys i should have specified that i was wondering what the coverage was like up here in canada, they don't sell satalite radio in stores here yet some garbage about not having enough canadian content in it for them to alow it here yet, so i was heading down to vegas in may and i was thinking of buying one on the way back up, just wondering if any one else on the site from canada has one yet and if they have had any problems with it, just want to know if i am going to be wasting my money or not, and thanks for you're input thus far.
got any friends or relative in the continental US?

heck, if you have any F or R with XM or sirius, you can piggyback on their account and pay about 60%...

$6.99 for xm. forget what sirius charges, but it might around $6-7 too, for up to 4 additional receivers per account.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM

i talk to customers and truck drivers all the time who had previously bought XM or Sirius. from what i have heard is sirius has a little better reception.. and customers in alaksa and canada get good reception with both units.

i was talking to a "coworker" at the alaska best buy and he says sattelite radio is sold out becuase everyone wants it.. it works great.

so for legal issues i dont think the services can garunteee a signal.. but from what i have heard is that it works fine.

i have it.. and live in washington state. it works great and i never listen to the 3 local channels anymore.. i do dig into my CDs everyonce and a while.. but thtas just because im showing off a bass tester CD or something..
also, most of the CDs i buy now are becuase i hear the artist on XM radio and love his stuff.. (the alchemist for example).. never hear that on local radio, but XM plays it.. PLUS they tell who the artist and what the name of the song is.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nervekiler

i was talking to a "coworker" at the alaska best buy and he says sattelite radio is sold out becuase everyone wants it.. it works great.

hmmm...

that's interesting...

first time i heard sat radio is "hearable" in alaska. can this coworker say which is available? xm? sirius?

i know since the sirius birds makes a u-turn around the middle portion of canada, canadians can hear it just fine.

but since xm's birds are parked at the equator, alaska being high up, may not be able to get it...

Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM

thanks for the help guys, i guess i am going to pick one up when i'm down there in a month, see what i can do to hitch it up and make the payments looks like the sirius radio is the way to go.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM

ill have to call alaska again and ask which one he was reffering to. but i know they sell them there.