Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Opinions? JL Audio 6.5" subs and amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions? JL Audio 6.5" subs and amp

I am going to be buying two of those JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (6w0) found at this link: http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

I also want a JL Audio amp to power it (I'm big on keeping the same brands). My limited expierience with amps suggests that higher end amps are often underrated, and/or provide cleaner power right up to their maximum rating versus a cheaper or more inexpensive/poorer quality amp brand. JL Audio being known for it's high quality, I would imagine would produce a quality amps in this respect to power these 2 subs. But I am curious which amp I should go with. Should I go with their e2150 (2 channel, 150 watt amp - http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e2150.html) or should I get their e1200 (mono channel, 200 watt amp - http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e1200.html) and wire them in series?

Thoughts?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 10-14-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:46 PM

assuming that you are going to use two 4 ohm subs, id recommend getting the e1200 and parallel the 2 subs to get a 2 ohm load and get 200 watts or 100 watts into each sub... if you wired in series, you would have an 8 ohm load.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by gn86r
assuming that you are going to use two 4 ohm subs, id recommend getting the e1200 and parallel the 2 subs to get a 2 ohm load and get 200 watts or 100 watts into each sub... if you wired in series, you would have an 8 ohm load.

Thanks for the reply. I got the exact same advice that you just gave me from the place I'm buying them from as well via email today. I'm ordering the e1200 and the 2 subs.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want some boom, dont waste your money buying subs that small. I would recomend if your into space saving looking into JL Audio Stealth boxes or the MTX custom Thunder Forms. But I would but a small sealed box and drop in 1 Eclipse Aluminun sub. 1 of thoes could easly out pound all the above mentioned boxes. Thats probably the best sealed sub on the market.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, however those 6.5's would rock if you built kick panels for them! Upfront bass >>> bass behind you!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 AM

yep, take it from a bass head. Thoes wont give you that much. If I had more money to blow on more speakers. I would Install kick pannels by my feet and hook up the Digital Designs 6.5 mid bass and put as much power as possible. Brand matching is a good idea, but its now always the best. I would rather buy a very stong amp, if money is not a real object, I go with the new power series amp from Rockford Fostage, of any of the Diamond Audio Amps. But if your into saving money, the best bang for the dollar amps are US Amps
Old 10-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

My friend just got three of those subs in his Land Rover and they sound great. They have really good tight clean bass. If you're going for real loud booming bass, as said before, these subs are not for you. For sound quality they are great and well worth the money IMO.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:19 PM

Yeah no, thanks guys for the points - I used to have a phoenix Gold 180 watt amp from their q series that powered 1 - 12" JBL L&C for about 3 years in my car but the amp eventually decided to call it quits. Not bad as it was an entry level amp that was reasonably priced and it pounded that sub pretty good. For one sub it sure gave good bass. But I think I've grown up a bit (not that it means you're more grown up if you don't want lots of bass) and I'm more concerned now with interior space when I have an ext'd cab truck soon, as well as just having quality sound, and some small subs that basically just round off the sound and give me the lows that I'm missing from my mids.

By the way - why the hell did JBL ever decide to ixne their power series midrange/coaxial speakers? I have a set of P-632 (6 1/2") and they absolutely rock and they're 5 years old! For the $$$ that I paid for them they sure could even today make other midrange speakers in that price range look like crap. If they were actually put in a proper sealed enclosure they would really pound for mid's.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 AM

I have 4 of them and love them. I only went with 4 because I needed a box big enough to go across the entire back seat. Two are plenty. They are cheap, and do a great job in the ported .25ft box (each). I have used these in various cars that I have owned. They just sound so musical. They get plenty loud, go plenty deep. My friends with the civics use 1 in a small box with a handle strap. IT only weighs 17 lbs, but they are pretty weight conscious.

Anyhow, They are not really designed for all out bass heads because they are not super loud, but still loud enough to drown out my highend speakers.. For people who want good thick, tight bass to go with music, I think they are really hard to beat. I think they are discontinuing the W0 line, so get them while you can.

Later,
Wes