Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

no sound from deck, no pwr from amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no sound from deck, no pwr from amp

i have a sony xplod 4 channel amp and 4 channel pioneer deck. i was running 6"rounds in my doors and tweets in the dash off the front 2 channels of the amp with crossovers to the tweet. the back two channels ran only 2 8"subs.

i bought some 6"x9"s to add to my system and a friend told me that i should run all my speakers off my deck and only the subs from the amp. so i wired it all up, everything was skookum but when i started to put my deck back into my dash everything got smokey.

i blew the 10 amp fuse in the power supply wire for the deck and the main power for my amp just wont work. now with a new fuse my deck turns on but i cant get any sound out of it and my amp wont come on at all, even when i use a power line straight from the battery.

did i kill my system? do i need to replace my deck and amp?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I know that my deck has a fuse in the back, does yours? I'd check that and all your wires. Does your amp have a "power" light on it?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I know that my deck has a fuse in the back, does yours? I'd check that and all your wires. Does your amp have a "power" light on it?
a fuse other than the one on the power wire?
my amp had a couple of lights, none of which come on.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
its that sony amp its junk
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM

what's your beef with sony?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
what's your beef with sony?

sony xplod amps are very touchy and blow very easily. an easy way to test if the amp still works is do as you said and run the power wire directly to it, make sure the amp is still grounded and run a small wire as a jumper from the power terminal to the remote turn on terminal. if the amp powers up it is most likely still good, you may have just blown the remote turn on output on the head unit somehow. test the amp and post your results and i will try to help you trouble shoot

jason
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM

forgot to click the subscribe button
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
sony xplod amps are very touchy and blow very easily. an easy way to test if the amp still works is do as you said and run the power wire directly to it, make sure the amp is still grounded and run a small wire as a jumper from the power terminal to the remote turn on terminal. if the amp powers up it is most likely still good, you may have just blown the remote turn on output on the head unit somehow. test the amp and post your results and i will try to help you trouble shoot

jason

thanks man, my amp is working. phew!
i cant get sound outta my deck still so i went and bought a new one and now i cant get it (the new one) to turn on. i had to get a pioneer so my 6 disc changer would be compatable. when i hook up power to the new deck i hear the disc changer and amp come on but the deck itself wont.

also the remote turn on wouldnt work with my old deck but it is fine with the new one. could that point to my wiring harness, i would way rather buy a new harness and take the deck back for the $315 i spent on it
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM

thanks man, my amp is working. phew!
i cant get sound outta my deck still so i went and bought a new one and now i cant get it (the new one) to turn on. i had to get a pioneer so my 6 disc changer would be compatable. when i hook up power to the new deck i hear the disc changer and amp come on but the deck itself wont.

also the remote turn on wouldnt work with my old deck but it is fine with the new one. could that point to my wiring harness, i would way rather buy a new harness and take the deck back for the $315 i spent on it
do your interior lights still work? check all your fuses with a multimeter, even if a fuse doesnt appear to be blown it can still be blown. your muti meter should have a picture of a speaker on it, with the fuse in the fuse block you will still see two small expsed pieces of metal on the back. put your positive to one tab and your negative to the other ( with your meter turned onto the speaker picture ) if the fuse is good it will make a tone through the meter, if its junk it wont. check all your fuses nder the dash and in the hood. another way to test the radio is take the red and yellow wires and twist them together, put the black wire on your battery ground and put the red and yellow on the positive, if the radio is in working order it will power up.

try those and let me know what happens

jason
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

no it wasnt anything other than my deck being fried. the new one wasnt grounding properly was the problem. everything is gold now i just have to get it tuned.
thanks though
Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM

no it wasnt anything other than my deck being fried. the new one wasnt grounding properly was the problem. everything is gold now i just have to get it tuned.
thanks though

glad to hear its working now. what type of deck did you replace it with?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

pioneer premier gt600 i think.
its pretty sweet has a usb wire from the back for a direct ipod link and a aux line in. plus lots of other features i either dont understand or havent found.

thanks a ton for all the help. i am sure glad to have not had to buy a new amp too.