Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2nd gen 4runner speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alpine 6x9s in the rear. They are screwed directly into the plastic panel. I dont have a problem with vibrations at all. and btw it came with a set of blown 6x9s that were covering the holes that were hacked in the panels, so i just got new speakers and did a quick fix, i will fix it better another time.

Up front im running Birdbrains old 4" infinitys, and suprisingly they dont even bottom out untill the volume is turned up to about 90 percent.

If you are looking for a nice cheap set up, this sounds great, and cost a total of like $100. (for the alpines, infinitys were free.)

This picture shows the 6x9s...
Name:  IMG_2018.jpg
Views: 5744
Size:  156.5 KB

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 03-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm planning on upgrading the sound system in my 4Runner this fall. I really like MB Quart components, but cost might be limiting me to something a little less expensive. Maybe I'll try building some wood boxes for some rear 6.5" speakers too.

Airkewld-

Where do you get those spacers for the door speakers?

How do your windows clear the speakers.

I'd like to see some behind the scenes looks at how those speakers are mounted to the metal in the door if you have pics of that.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
I'm planning on upgrading the sound system in my 4Runner this fall. I really like MB Quart components, but cost might be limiting me to something a little less expensive. Maybe I'll try building some wood boxes for some rear 6.5" speakers too.

Airkewld-

Where do you get those spacers for the door speakers?

How do your windows clear the speakers.

I'd like to see some behind the scenes looks at how those speakers are mounted to the metal in the door if you have pics of that.
Hey man, check out techronics.com for speakers and whatnot but I got the spacers at sonicelectronix.com. They had a few types to choose from. The speakers clear the windows just fine but that's why I had to use 1" spacers. It all depends on the mounting depth of your speakers. The speakers aren't actually mounted to any metal, just the door panel itself.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by airkewld4life
Hey man, check out techronics.com for speakers and whatnot but I got the spacers at sonicelectronix.com. They had a few types to choose from. The speakers clear the windows just fine but that's why I had to use 1" spacers. It all depends on the mounting depth of your speakers. The speakers aren't actually mounted to any metal, just the door panel itself.
Cool, thanks for the info. If I decide to go with door speakers, I might just make my own spacers so I can mount them to the door frame. My door panels aren't very strong, as they sat outdoors for a couple winters before I decided to used them.

I'm also interested in how you got the wires into the door. Did you just run the speaker wire in with the power windows/locks wires, or separately?

Nice install, BTW.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Cool, thanks for the info. If I decide to go with door speakers, I might just make my own spacers so I can mount them to the door frame. My door panels aren't very strong, as they sat outdoors for a couple winters before I decided to used them.

I'm also interested in how you got the wires into the door. Did you just run the speaker wire in with the power windows/locks wires, or separately?

Nice install, BTW.
I was going to make my own spacers but didn't want to fiddle with the mdf because it was only three quarter inch and I needed at least an inch to clear the window and those ones I bought were only six bucks. I ran my wires through the bundle that goes through the door and into the cab using a wire hangar to pull them through. Took a bit of time but it worked like a charm. Just be sure to give yourself enough wire to tie out of the way so they interfere with the window. If you have any other questions or would like more picture of anything feel free to ask. I always here to help
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM

I bought 4" dash & 6" components from www.onlinecarstereo.com for the speakers, they have good deals on older inventory "new" speakers. Of course they got about anything you need for Car Audio and about 50 brands. For my head unit i'm going www.Crutchfield.com JVC KD-AHD69...had everything i wanted and some good reviews. Plus they send you all the you need to hook it up properly, even a lower tray if you need it for free.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

anybody got any pics of their front speakers!?!
Previous owner put these in..I put the amp and sub in a couple days ago