The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Took a stab at building a bumper today. (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah hell; I say play with it all you like - as long as you understand that is not safe or appealing to the eye. This is the internet & you will draw fire from every A-hole with a keyboard for posting up amateur welding projects like that; you might be better off showing close ups of your welds & asking advice on how to make them better/stronger/prettier & going from there.

Can I do any better you might ask?

lol....hell no but I didn't post my mess bolted to my truck online for all to see. Keep practicing, seek advice & get better.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just giving you a hard time dude. It's just that you do some pretty crazy stuff to your truck.
I know, and, i know, but where would the fun be if i didnt? I would go crazy if i didnt do anything to my truck while im waiting to do the real stuff.
Some of those "deadbrains" were trying to offer you help.....

Guess it just went right over your head...good luck
i understand that, but what im saying is im not an idiot, i didnt get on here asking "hey guys, you think this will hold up to some serious crawling?" i dont have a problem with the help with my welding and what kind of tubing to use but the other crap is, just crap. and i realy need a radiator, u dont have one? haha
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM

Hey, you like it, thats all that matters. No one else here can say two things about it.

If it works for what you need it to do, then roll with it.

That being said, I would get the welder fixed (or borrow a working welder, anything), and lay good beads across your current welds.

Remember, 9/10's of welding is prep work. Wire brushing, notching, grinding, etc. etc. I would at least wire brush the work before you touch it with a welder. I usually grind it until i see shiny metal underneath, then hit it with a bead.

If nothing else, this has been a good learning experience. I'm sure as you were going on (and now that you're done), you thought of a few things you'd rather do, so why don't you do it again?

Keep practicing those beads, and when you feel real comfortable, spend the money to get the good stuff, and build something you can be very proud of.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustin Songer
and i realy need a radiator, u dont have one? haha
Yes, I do actually...check your PMS
Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin Songer
haha someone tries to do that to me and they get what they deserve.

seriously, i cant fab? realy? maybe its the fact that i cant afford the crap it takes to do it the RIGHT way. I did that with a sawzall and the cheapest welder ever (i didnt even pay for the thing) and i bent the bar with my back bumper, lets see you fab up a whole bumper with just that to work with, all i was doing was trying to come up with a design by just starting with something and building off of it. Its not as week as all of you guys think it is either, i didnt bring it up cuz theres no way a bunch of internet deabrains are going to be able to get that so i didnt push it. jesus
I don't know why you're getting pissed at me/others for stating what should be blatantly obvious to a fabricator of your (self proclaimed) caliber. The fact that you built that "thing" tells me you don't have a clue.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM

haha, oh my god, i thaught we were over this. im not saying im a good fabricator man, i was just saying that its kinda rediculous that... you know what, im not even gonna go into this. have a nice day guy
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big_John
I don't know why you're getting pissed at me/others for stating what should be blatantly obvious to a fabricator of your (self proclaimed) caliber. The fact that you built that "thing" tells me you don't have a clue.

Look at the obvious, he's having fun, he had a basic idea for a design, He just used less than ideal materials and his equipment/skills (sorry man) need a little time to upgrade/develop. It's not like he tacked an ironing board to his grill.
Give him a break and some encouragement instead of the negative vibe. This is the place for him to get better not turned off.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Everyones being so damn mean.

Think about the design a little bit more, bigger tubing, and deff practice your welds alot before you start a bumper.

As a project, I cant put you down on your design.
Bigger tubing, thats all my fellow yotatecher

Darnit deathpuss.
LMAO

Last edited by scuba; 07-02-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

All I have to say is that I absolutely loved reading this thread. Thanks everybody.