The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Took a stab at building a bumper today. (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the truck looks just like my 1980 truck i bought except mine dont have the black thingie on the hood and it dont have that type of front bumper but all in all there color is the same and the other parts of the truck look the same as well
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM

maybe with some plate coving the tubing and it may look okay........

dont feel bad, if you like it keep it...... if not you got some experience

I would suggest that you try and minimize the amount of cut pieces you have, it makes it look cluttered. I would make a main bar or two and then brace it to the frame and your done...

I also thought that the bend looked good and you gotta start somewhere..... you probably did more fab work on your truck than 95% of the yotatechers
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abj27
Are you welding without gloves here? That's... daring. I just find I don't like red hot bits of metal landing anywhere on bare skin while I weld. Just me though.
mig welding with no gloves is fine, but arc welding is just too hot for no gloves. but he is mig welding in that pic and its just fine plus look what he is welding on its prolly not turned up very high.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM

actually, I tried it later that day and found it wasn't so bad... who knew?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM

That bumper is going to make for some serious projectiles in an accident.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whitey13
That bumper is going to make for some serious projectiles in an accident.
Haha yea, I'd hate to be the Metro that runs a red light and has that coming threw my drivers window. lol.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Dude... You can't be serious. I've seen some really crazy stuff on the net over the years but... that is really, REALLY bad.
You may not be able to fab to save your life, but you've got some gigantic balls for posting this write-up.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM

post moved to pirate4x4.com..............
Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I am embarrassed for you. Please take that off your truck ASAP.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Haha yea, I'd hate to be the Metro that runs a red light and has that coming threw my drivers window. lol
haha someone tries to do that to me and they get what they deserve.
Dude... You can't be serious. I've seen some really crazy stuff on the net over the years but... that is really, REALLY bad.
You may not be able to fab to save your life, but you've got some gigantic balls for posting this write-up.
seriously, i cant fab? realy? maybe its the fact that i cant afford the crap it takes to do it the RIGHT way. I did that with a sawzall and the cheapest welder ever (i didnt even pay for the thing) and i bent the bar with my back bumper, lets see you fab up a whole bumper with just that to work with, all i was doing was trying to come up with a design by just starting with something and building off of it. Its not as week as all of you guys think it is either, i didnt bring it up cuz theres no way a bunch of internet deabrains are going to be able to get that so i didnt push it. jesus
Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin Songer
haha someone tries to do that to me and they get what they deserve.

seriously, i cant fab? realy? maybe its the fact that i cant afford the crap it takes to do it the RIGHT way. I did that with a sawzall and the cheapest welder ever (i didnt even pay for the thing) and i bent the bar with my back bumper, lets see you fab up a whole bumper with just that to work with, all i was doing was trying to come up with a design by just starting with something and building off of it. Its not as week as all of you guys think it is either, i didnt bring it up cuz theres no way a bunch of internet deabrains are going to be able to get that so i didnt push it. jesus
Don't let some of these internet a$% holes discourage you. Everyone started somewhere (I remember the first time I welded a hideous conglomeration with an oxyacetylene torch in high school metals shop) No you won't be mounting a winch to that bumper, and yes you should make an attempt at something else in the near future, but you made that yourself and are proud enough of it to post it on here. Just don't get discouraged.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Why don't you just tape this to the front of your truck?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM

I am embarrassed for you. Please take that off your truck ASAP.
took you long enough wab
Don't let some of these internet a$% holes discourage you. Everyone started somewhere (I remember the first time I welded a hideous conglomeration with an oxyacetylene torch in high school metals shop) No you won't be mounting a winch to that bumper, and yes you should make an attempt at something else in the near future, but you made that yourself and are proud enough of it to post it on here. Just don't get discouraged.
thanks at least you understood what i was doing haha. it doesnt bother me, the only thing anyones has ever been proud of me is when i went to afganistan to get shot at for a bunch of aholes who dont realy care here in the states.
Why don't you just tape this to the front of your truck?
hey, i have an idea... Why dont YOU tape that to your bumper? thats all your gonna need in that sandbox you play in.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I just read your other threads...Is this kind of ghetto fab(ulous) work common in your area?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Enter, the haters.

I remember a guy on here who started to build a go-cart. He got page after page of worthless hateful comments, and eventually gave up. Sad really.

Dont let people discourage you. Take some classes, learn welding a little better, and try again.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by customcruiser
post moved to pirate4x4.com..............
About that....

Last edited by DeathCougar; 06-04-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM

I just read your other threads...Is this kind of ghetto fab(ulous) work common in your area?
haha, i dont know, to tell u the truth i dont care either im just bored out of my mind, thats why im doing this stuff, theres no way im gonna stop either, its not completely serious stuff its just that i have nothing else to do.

why dont you check out the kind of work i do when i actualy care about what im doing.
http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...0zxtrailer.flv
thats my z, that i built, on my own, in my fricken driveway, 480 whp with over 520 ft-lbs of torque. this crap that im making is boredom, not me trying to be a genius
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM

props for the effort. Everything that has to do with making things yourself is a building block process, anyone who has ever done anything themselve knows what its like to try and fail, but they take this opportunity to make them feel good about themselves by putting you down?

So cynical bull aside, its great for hitting garbage cans now that youve got the measurements and such, up the tubing a bit!

PS, nice Z.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM

I'm just giving you a hard time dude. It's just that you do some pretty crazy stuff to your truck.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustin Songer
i didnt bring it up cuz theres no way a bunch of internet deabrains are going to be able to get that so i didnt push it. jesus
Some of those "deadbrains" were trying to offer you help.....

Guess it just went right over your head...good luck

This isnt Pirate 4x4 but its not La-La land either

Last edited by dirtoyboy; 06-05-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Took a stab at building a bumper today. (pic heavy)