The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

SAS on a 96

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Jared Ajlouny] i can get a d44 locked and geared (might have a few miles on it) for about 1k or less..QUOTE]
buy it, does it come with chromoly shafts too?
im scared...to add up the stack of receipts. lets see, arb $570, precision gear 4.88's $120, precision gear rebuild kit $80, thats 3 of 4,000 parts it takes to do this but i think i got good deals on every one. its also pointless to add them up since it will never be done, but i think anyone who wants to sas should go for it!!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle swaps are not cheap. You can cut corners, but to do it right, you have to spend bucks. My parts list goes over 5k pretty quick and that assumes I hit up buddies for welding, cutting, beer drinking time. It is not to scare people, it is reality.

Most people will never see the limits of the IFS they have on the truck. The internet brain washes them into thinking that a person can only wheel with a solid axle, so they should not put money into IFS, so they try to wheel an open diffed, stock height rig and complain it sucks. News flash, it does.

My hypothesis is that near the time you need a solid axle, what you really need is a buggy. Look at how long it takes most swapped trucks to roll and get tubed.

The other theory is people swap the truck and then never wheel it anywhere near the limits.

Current market prices:
-$300 for a 44
-$200 for gears
-$600 for an ARB
-$100 for bearings and seals
-$100 for press work
-$200 to set the gears

What does that give you? A stock axle with stock u-joints.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:16 PM

Take all your cost you add for an axle swap and double it Maybe triple it just to be safe. Your gonna end up spending more money somewhere than expected. I mean yeah I can get a geared and locked D44 ready to go in. Anyone can for less than 1k. The question is though, how much life are you going to get from it and what kind of a hackjob condition is it in or what kinda billy joe bob backyard job has been done on it
Old 01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

I think this has been beaten to death. Those that have actually done an SAS or at least seen enough know that it takes gobs of money, and even more money than you plan for.
if this dude wants to do it for 2k or whatever he is planning on go ahead and let him, we all know it dont go very far or be very effective with only 2k on the swap

I'd take my locked front and rear IFS over an open diffed SAS hack-job anyday.
but thats just my $.02
Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Axle swaps are not cheap. You can cut corners, but to do it right, you have to spend bucks. My parts list goes over 5k pretty quick and that assumes I hit up buddies for welding, cutting, beer drinking time. It is not to scare people, it is reality.

Most people will never see the limits of the IFS they have on the truck. The internet brain washes them into thinking that a person can only wheel with a solid axle, so they should not put money into IFS, so they try to wheel an open diffed, stock height rig and complain it sucks. News flash, it does.

My hypothesis is that near the time you need a solid axle, what you really need is a buggy. Look at how long it takes most swapped trucks to roll and get tubed.

The other theory is people swap the truck and then never wheel it anywhere near the limits.

Current market prices:
-$300 for a 44
-$200 for gears
-$600 for an ARB
-$100 for bearings and seals
-$100 for press work
-$200 to set the gears

What does that give you? A stock axle with stock u-joints.
And some of your prices are bargains. $600 for an ARB, unless it's used and the owner wants to part with it cheaply, is a great price. I think $750 is more in the ballpark.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:02 AM

Really, this guy is right, and all you out there in yotatech land are right. A SAS can be done well and cheap if you work deals and search long and hard for the best prices. My SAS only cost me about $8-900 out of pocket and works fantastic, but, I fab'd EVERYTHING myself, traded welding for my axle, so on, and so on. If I were to do it buying everything, then yeah, $3400 or so..... FYI, check out http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ for X-over steering parts, good price.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

i went with sky's high steer. it was $565 with his flat steering arm, all 1-ton tre's, and studs/cones/washers/nuts. there are cheaper options like shakerbuilt though.

actually there has been a few d44's set up for tacos come up for sale on pirate and tacoma territory lately for great deals!!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:07 AM

Hey

Hey. I don't know if you were still wondering about the price of a SAS on your 4runner, or if you've done it yet, but I own a shop in Plainfield, IN (10 minutes north of Indianapolis, IN ) where we do solid axle swaps. We also make custom bumpers, rock sliders, light bars, you name it. Currently, I'm working on an interior roll cage, along with a awesome looking 4runner rear bumper. Anyway, if you ever need a SAS done, we can do it for you. With parts, depending on how much you want to do, you can spend from 2k all the way up to 8k but the average NICE setup is around $3500.00-4000.00. Anyway, take care.