The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

looking for someone to build a custom grille guard.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking for someone to build a custom grille guard.

i have designed a custom front bumper guard that is similar to the smittybilt front bumpers for 90-95 4Runners. the difference is that i am not replacing the chrome bumper. i am going to remove the valance andit will sit where that did. then it will have a custom stinger style grille guard.
and before someone says to ask WABFAB, i did and they dont want the project.
PLEASE DON'T LAUGH AT THIS PIC.

i have a sketch if someone wants a different view of it. i'm not a great artist, but you get the idea.

any questions, PM me or email me @ Toyota_Spawn_15@hotmail.com

thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

bump
Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there no welders experienced enough in your area?? Just asking. I would think that if you came up with the idea (which you did) then all you would need is the material and the required equipment: welder, ban saw, a bender would be nice but not necessary.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

there probably are, but down here in Belize, they do things...diferently...for example to fix the heads on the Toyota aluminium engine, the weld and hammer instead of replace. or they put candle wax on the alternator to stop it from making a noise! things like that, i can go and ask, but i would not get the same quality and care like i would from the states or canada.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
i have designed a custom front bumper guard that is similar to the smittybilt front bumpers for 90-95 4Runners. the difference is that i am not replacing the chrome bumper. i am going to remove the valance andit will sit where that did. then it will have a custom stinger style grille guard.
and before someone says to ask WABFAB, i did and they dont want the project.
PLEASE DON'T LAUGH AT THIS PIC.

i have a sketch if someone wants a different view of it. i'm not a great artist, but you get the idea.

any questions, PM me or email me @ Toyota_Spawn_15@hotmail.com

thanks in advance
Just have a few questions about the design pm me I may be able to help you out but need to get a better idea of what your after.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"PLEASE DONT LAUGH AT THIS PIC" ????

Have you seen some of the bumpers and other stuff that some people have posted on here? Your design is definately not bad compared to those,

One thing i noticed, you said you want to use the same size tubing as the smittybuilt bumper, that is 3 inch tube, and for something like you want (that is going to go outside of, around, in front of, and under the stock bumpers) that is alot of stuff that will be hanging out in front, I would go with 2 inch tube at the most, and I would put the aux lights in by the license plate and winch, not under the bumper

I'm not trying to knock your design or anything, but I wouldn't spend so much time and money (this will cost more than you think, esp. with shipping) trying to protect the stock bumper (which is made of thin metal) and you'll have to cut it a bunch anyways for all the mounts for your tube bumper, just my $ 0.02
Old 12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

well, i am actually flying to Edmonton Alberta, Canada in summer of 09'. so i would pay to have it stored somewhere safe. and i think it would be cheaper than buying a ARB, which is my alternative if i can't get it made. and thanks for the idea about tube size. i'll use that idea. and the idea of the bolt on aux. light holder is so it is as far out to the side as i need them when driving at night, and removable on the trails.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 AM

Does candle wax in a squeeky alt work???
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt you'll find anyone that can bend 3". There are only a few major manufactuers that have that size bender. Is there a reason you want to save and protect the stock chrome part of the bumper? If your going to have something fabricated that is that elaborate, it would be easier to make a whole new bumper. If you had 1.5" or 1.75"' tubes bent and filled in the gaps with plate it would give you a factory looking bumper. Then add the wench mount and stinger from there.

Also if you have an auto tranny, make sure you have a cooler added. Blocking any of the air around the bottom of the radiator can cause you to overheat at high speeds or loaded conditions. When I built my front receiver hitch I had to add a cooler. http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4r...ect.htm#Bumper Found out by experience 75 miles into Mexico.

Last edited by James Dean; 12-29-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

well i have a new design:

it replaces the stock bumper with one simiar to that of the Toyota Mega Cruiser:
its alot better i think, but might cost more to build?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
MSR

I do a ton of one off metal fab and also sell arb's no matter how you slice it the only way to make what you want cheaper than an arb is to line up a thousand of your buddies and buy all at the same time. What have you been quoted for a arb bull bar? I might be able to help you out