The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

buidling a bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanx guys. keep the suggestions coming.

i would love to hear em. even if you dont like my bumper idea.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumper ideas

hey weasel check out my build thread, I just added a nice front bumper that I designed and fabbed myself, it turned out pretty nicely.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...48/index3.html

I basically had a piece of plate broke for me, then cut out a slice of it for the winch cable, then measured and cut the sides, tops, and ends. Then I cut out the light holes and tacked it all together- It actually turned out to be ALOT wider than I wanted, so I cut the ends off and re-welded caps on the ends to make it skinnier. I chose to mount it to the toyota mounting holes, but to make sure it would be plenty beefy I welded a piece of angle over it since it is so thin. This will reinforce it well and still keep it structurally sound since the welds are on the corners and none of the welds are near the bolt holes. Now I know that I can winch myself out without pulling my bumper and front frame crossmember off the truck. Before I painted it, I took a grinder wheel to it to clean it up real nice, cleaned up all my yucky beads, then sprayed it with some rustoleum rattle can paint from the local hardware store. Ill be mounting a winch on there soon, Ill post some pics of it with the winch after jan 1st, Im planning to go on a "Hangover Run" that day.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hardstripe
hey weasel check out my build thread, I just added a nice front bumper that I designed and fabbed myself, it turned out pretty nicely.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...48/index3.html

I basically had a piece of plate broke for me, then cut out a slice of it for the winch cable, then measured and cut the sides, tops, and ends. Then I cut out the light holes and tacked it all together- It actually turned out to be ALOT wider than I wanted, so I cut the ends off and re-welded caps on the ends to make it skinnier. I chose to mount it to the toyota mounting holes, but to make sure it would be plenty beefy I welded a piece of angle over it since it is so thin. This will reinforce it well and still keep it structurally sound since the welds are on the corners and none of the welds are near the bolt holes. Now I know that I can winch myself out without pulling my bumper and front frame crossmember off the truck. Before I painted it, I took a grinder wheel to it to clean it up real nice, cleaned up all my yucky beads, then sprayed it with some rustoleum rattle can paint from the local hardware store. Ill be mounting a winch on there soon, Ill post some pics of it with the winch after jan 1st, Im planning to go on a "Hangover Run" that day.

thats an awesome build you got goin there man. props.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the arb style bumpers are made of plate. genrally 1/4 for the center/winch section and 3/16" or so for the outer ends(outside the grille). I will be building one for my Yota soon. I had a Nissan before it and am posting up a pic. no flaming please, just showing the bumper design, yes its a toyota board, but the general design could be reworked for use on a toyota easily. besides someone mentioned using "c-iron". I used 6" c-channel for this one with 3/16 plate to cap the top and make the grille guard and skids.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM

hows that bumper comin man?