California NorCal California NorCal Chapter

Nor Cal'ers in Sacramento area - Know anyone who can do good swap 3.0->3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nor Cal'ers in Sacramento area - Know anyone who can do good swap 3.0->3.4?

Hey guys -

Newer to the site. Been in the general area for sometime.

Question for you guys who know your stuff down there. We are up between Auburn and the summit and i figure sac is probably the best area for this -

We have a runner with the 3.0 that is still going strong but i am making future plans. Like to go with the 3.4 someday but dont have the means/equipment/tools and upper end knowledge to attempt the swap myself. I can wrench but my knowledge ends at some point.

Any recommendations for shops/individuals that do good work and wanna make some extra cash? I'd be even more grateful if i can assist to get some more knowledge.
Not looking to do it immediately, just lookin....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
no idea, but if you find someone let us know how much. i was just gonna stay with a 22re rebuild, but if some local does swaps for a good price i would love extra power.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I know theres a shop in san fransisco that can do it. I dont have the contact number on my work computer, but i'll give it here when i get home.

the 3.4 is practically a bolt on nowadays though. Theres a company in oregon that sells a bolt in wiring harness, and exhaust crossover.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I know theres a shop in san fransisco that can do it. I dont have the contact number on my work computer, but i'll give it here when i get home.

the 3.4 is practically a bolt on nowadays though. Theres a company in oregon that sells a bolt in wiring harness, and exhaust crossover.
Really? The harness and exhaust were my main concern...Do you have the company's name perhaps?...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM

google Toyota Only Swaps. They make a wiring harness that clips into your factory interior harness, and retains the engine exterior harness.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
maks right the 3.4 swap isn't to hard ..bolts right in ..the company that
makes the harness and

exhaust is toy only swaps or something like that..just do a little reading thru the swap section here on the forum ..you don't need it right now so there's plenty of time ...no special tools needed
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ooooops maks faster than me
Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

You also dont have to use an exhaust cross over... you can contact Doug thorley, they make long tube headers. and you can also try your luck at getting some Downey headers... ( the company closed down awhile back, but their products still float around )
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help you with a shop, but I'm attempting one now and so far it hasn't been that bad (the 3.0 and 5spd are still in the 4Runner so that statement could change).

The best advice I can give you is call the SMOG Referee now (1-800-622-7733). You'll have to leave a message with the call center and the ref will call you back in 2-3 days. Tell them you're considering this swap ("engine change" per smog laws) and that you're just looking at what you'll need to do to be legal. The first time I called (back in Sept) and mentioned a 91 4Runner v6 he asked if I was changing to a 3.4. The Sacramento refs know this swap inside and out and can and will tell you what pit-falls to avoid (the first ref told me to find a 95.5 Tacoma 4WD Xtra cab because "it doesn't have OBD-II and all the monitors, and the 4WD Xtra cabs don't require EGR like all other Tacomas).

Know what you're getting into early and be ready to jump through hoops (helps to know before hand what the hoops are).

http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/ There in Eugene OR and can do the full swap for you, send you a drop in motor, build a custom harness (should be plug and play), and can modify your cross over to drop to the driver side (smog legal in CA for now)

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/old/index.html Their home page says they're out of business but they're still operational, they're one of the original 3.4L swap shops (you can get EVERYTHING you'll need from them except the motor)
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks guys. All good info there!
Had been wondering about "the Ref" - did they give you a hard time or anything? I figure, this being California, they would be hard to deal with just like everything else in this state...

Hmmm....this info and the newly acquired shop time that a friend has loaned me may make this a do-it-myself type of stuff.

I will keep researching and continue to pick all your brains...

THIS is why i love site's like this!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pistol_Pete
Had been wondering about "the Ref" - did they give you a hard time or anything? I figure, this being California, they would be hard to deal with just like everything else in this state...
The refs were actually extremely helpful and willing to share any and all info they could to help ensure I do my swap correctly. It makes sense though, I figure they see enough guys shoe-horning the biggest engine they can into their cars and hacking stuff to bits to get it to fit, then wondering why they didn't pass a visual inspection; that's got to get old after awhile.

I figure if I can do a little more work now, ask them questions as they come up (each time I call they actually encourage me to call with any and all future questions) it'll save both of us time and headaches by preemptively addressing possible issues. Not to mention if I can come across like I know what I'm doing and have addressed everything, they may not look just as closely as they would with someone who comes in with no idea what components are and aren't needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Call Russ at NorCal Performance they may try the swap. Their tech Mike is a god when it comes to building and working on cars
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
The refs were actually extremely helpful and willing to share any and all info they could to help ensure I do my swap correctly. It makes sense though, I figure they see enough guys shoe-horning the biggest engine they can into their cars and hacking stuff to bits to get it to fit, then wondering why they didn't pass a visual inspection; that's got to get old after awhile.

I figure if I can do a little more work now, ask them questions as they come up (each time I call they actually encourage me to call with any and all future questions) it'll save both of us time and headaches by preemptively addressing possible issues. Not to mention if I can come across like I know what I'm doing and have addressed everything, they may not look just as closely as they would with someone who comes in with no idea what components are and aren't needed.
Sounds like a good experience.
Alright, i will give 'em a call. Thanks -