Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks...I was hoping they make them for the stock IFS system.

I know what I want for christmas...might have to give it to myself though. The princess hates when I spend any sort of money on my "hobbie".

Bill Burke is a great guy, took his class years ago and want to go back sometime here soon.

Last edited by snobdds; 10-05-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the update time. Its good to see the diff is holding together well. I received a Blazeland kit last week and just returned from buy some T100 cv axle. Keep the abuse coming, so we can see the next weak link in the front drive train. If every thing holds up for the future. I will order some RCV shafts as well.

How is you IFS KOH rig coming along Tim? Haven't seen any updates for a while. I also have not been on pirate in some tim either.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We hurt something in the front diff this last trip. It's not serious, just a steady clicking while crawl under load, my guess is a chipped pinion tooth. We'll tear it down in a week or two and inspect it.

Over all we're extremely happy and can't ever see doing another SAS conversion unless we were building a F-Toy for WeRock/Cal-Rocks; the difference the LT IFS makes in ride comfort and trail ability is big.

The F-Toy inspired IFS KOH is still on hold. We've had a lot of discussion about it and haven't yet decided what to do. My kid will be on Fall break in a couple weeks and we'll discuss it a bit more when he is here.

Last edited by Tech Tim; 10-05-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to see the update on the CVs. Good article in 4WD Owner too! I'd like to see the RCD axles built for my centermount diff or even better adapted to work with a centermount Supra diff. How about the narrowed 8" diff we talked about.

I had a few questions: Does the current setup offer added articulation and wheel travel over the T-100 CVs? Or is it just strength and vibration improvements? With the Blazeland Long Arms at full droop as you rotate the wheel (by hand) you will start noticing some drag on the CV assembly. This occurs just as the droop stops engage. If you remove the droop stops and let it droop further it begins to bind. With these new RCD CVs could you cut the droop stop brackets off and let it droop further? Maybe you could install some adjustable clevis style limiting droop straps and see how far you can go. Try it with those modified Rancho Arms I sent you.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

Hi Nate, good to hear from you.

RCV could build some 30 spline stubs to fit your Supra center and then just longer center bars, shouldn't be a problem.

We didn't take any before or after measurements or even check the angles of the old vs new CVs. Yeah, I know, we're slackers.

We were so rushed in trying to get these in the truck to check fitment and to get out on the trail we didn't even think about that until we already had them installed. Hard to stop and think out all the proper reporting details when you have some super sexy parts like these sitting in front of you. No wonder us guys get into trouble when women are around....

We'll be tearing this rig down in a couple weeks to find out what is clicking in the front diff and will get some angle and measurements, with pics of course and post them up. If they look to be better, we can try getting a little more droop out of the suspension.

If we go with an 8" center, we'll have to drop the lower cross member a little, picking up a little height in the process, so if anything, we're going to shoot for more up travel too. That will help the big hits a lot more.

Our idler is finally starting to get loose, maybe we'll dig out that HD one we started on and get back to work on it. I'll give you a ring and chat chat with you a bit next week. Any idea what brand our idler is from the above pic? You've changed enough of them, maybe you recognize it?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 AM

It looks to be the Moog shorty style. I did a write up here on Yotatech a while back. Look at Blazen8's 1986 4Runner Build Thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...58/index2.html

Last edited by BlazeN8; 10-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM

I used to really want to SAS my 89 runner. Had the straight axle and all. Never got the sas kit and i ended up selling the axle because ive now decided 33-35 and IFS is what i want to run. I never got to see the outcome of Toyota4wd owners magazine article about ifs vs sas and how they both performed. Anyone wanna fill me in on that?

Last edited by StangBanger; 07-02-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on these Cvs? ive got a Blazeland T100 waiting for a super charger and 35s....
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 PM

This thread was sure dusty, good to see it pop up again. StangBanger I bought a live axle off a 1985 truck being parted out, too good to pass up. I sat on it for a few months then ended ended up selling it on CL. Do a forum search and type in "blazelander2013" you should find some good threads on the subject.

Zach, Tim's not too active on YT these days but maybe he will peak in and post something.