Notices
Vendor Advertising Vendor's, use this area to alert members to your OEM & Aftermarket Toyota parts

RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM

after looking at the pic i want to put a weld around that breaking point for some extra material.They used to make berfeilds stronger by adding material to the cup to prevent cracking. just a thought.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i want to see these things in action, unfortunately i won't be able to use them because my suspension is trashed and I will have to go to a solid axle, but it would be nice to know what I'm missing.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Too many projects,not enough time...

I tore apart the passenger side to start installing the first one and I've got a tear in my inner axle seal, oil has leaked out and who knows what has gotten inside.

New seals are on order and now going to tear out the 7.5" and open it up to inspect the guts. Everything should be good, but don't want to take any chances.

Comparing the parts with what I pulled out, they all look right, but hey this is RCV we're talking about and I sent them the stockers to build off of, so it should all be right!

Geez can't wait to actually get these in. I'll be posting up pics some time next week.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM

OK, got a chance to plug these buggers in!

The install is a little tougher than OE shafts as it is missing that 3" plunge of the tripod joint so we couldn't collapse the assembly as short as the stock set-up.

RCV did a beautiful job on them, they fit like they belong there and so far everything cycles just fine. We'll take them out for a spin this weekend and see what we see.

For those who didn't read the whole thread, things might look a little off as everything is 3-3/8" longer than OE to fit our Blazeland long travel kit.
Attached Thumbnails RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!-mini-final.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ccraviotto
after looking at the pic i want to put a weld around that breaking point for some extra material.They used to make berfeilds stronger by adding material to the cup to prevent cracking. just a thought.
Like this maybe?

You missed this thread where I showed how that's done.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...shafts-132417/
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Tried to run it this weekend, ended up with gear oil all over the place. Don't know whether the new seal failed on the passenger side or if it was the dumb-a** (me) who installed the seal. We got down to the fuel station to top off the tank before hitting the trails and there was oil everywhere.

Time to tear back into it....
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^that sucks. those look real nice, we're all jealous. make sure to try and share with us some pics of your rig in action with its "ultimate ifs" setup.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you can see tims runner in the SAS vs. IFS challenge article. If I could be there I would be filming it all.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Updates? More pics?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Waiting on a free bay to tear it apart. I've got a Land Cruiser in right now for power steering swap, once done the 'Runner comes back in for the tear down and repairs.

Drives me nuts to have it sit, but only have so much space to work in.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Anyone who says hardcore wheeling and IFS shouldn't be used in the same sentence should just drop this thread and go else ware. I have been saying for years that IFS can be strong if you take care of the known weak points. I will say again, my truck gets wheeled hard ever Saturday, lockers and all and I even tested it to FAIL on 38.5 inch boggers, she still goes. Truck is now on 37's, oh I daily drive the truck everywhere too... you can come wheeling anywhere we go in my neck of the woods too if you don't believe it=) I have plenty of friends who have SAS'd trucks also, so to say it can be "said and done" for the price of the kit, it just plain stupid, UNLESS you plan on running stock tires, open rear, factory gears, do I need to go on with possible upgrades and add-ons? Make sure you get someone to fill your tanks for the welder and all the grinding disks for free though too because that cost money too last time I checked, I think wabbit said it good himself beginning of the thread.

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 12-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

well I just replaced my old torn boot CVs with some nearly new factory ones so I won't be looking at this mod anytime soon... gotta save for new winter tires and a clutch in the spring... still this sounds like a sweet project for the future...
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM

hey techtim, have you gotten the axle seal fixed yet? i'm interested to hear what these things can do... did i read on the website that there are porsche parts in there?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM

RCV is making a couple adjustments, we are waiting on the new parts.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i wish i still had my runner... no one makes an "affordable" LT kit for tacos... at least not Blazeland affordable...

once again, if you need anyone to go wheeling with you to take pictures or videos, i gladly volunteer Dark Fairytales(i can ride shotgun )
Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, space. I did not know you were allowed to speak for me. I might have to check with my fake wife, lol
Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 AM

This thread is long overdue for an update....

Been running the RCV Toyota CV set-up in my 1986 Blazeland low buck LT equipped 4Runner since this spring and loving them. They are very smooth, much smoother than the one year old CVs they replaced. Driving down the road with hubs locked in the only vibration out of the front is the front driveshaft.

As far as abuse is concerned, we have wheeled this set-up quite a few times over the summer, including plenty of high throttle bouncing that would normally break the standard CVs.

A couple days ago we hit the Tahuya ORV area in WA. We did Yellowjacket hill, definitely tamer than the last time we were there, but still plenty capable of snapping CVs and we scurried right up it. We then played on another gnarly rock climb down the trail a little bit and finally ended up out on the rock garden. Next CV abuse trip will be down to Brown's camp TSF before winter sets in.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those are bomb proof CV's...I saw the article in this month's Toyota Owner's magazine.

With the blazeland LT, did you have to order a longer shaft CV?

I also spot Bill Burk's Range Rover in the background...looks like a fun trip.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 AM

RCV first sent us the CV assemblies for stock suspension (the original prototypes) and they fit a stock rig just fine.

But obviously for a LT we needed center bars that were a little longer, so we installed just the inner and outer CVs, set the car at ride height and measured from edge of CV to edge of CV and had RCV build up a set of longer shafts and everything fit perfect.

Bill Burke was in town and came out for a nice day trip with us. He is a very knowledgeable guy and even after more than 20 years of some pretty serious wheeling I still learn new tricks from him every trip.

Last edited by Tech Tim; 10-05-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: RCV Toy IFS CVs - SNEAK PEAK!