Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A TRUE 2wd...locker ??s

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A TRUE 2wd...locker ??s

So here's the deal: I spent my younger years riding and working on yota pickups, so I'm pretty familiar w/ them. I now have an F150 that I'm fixn to ditch (gas$$$). Just bought the wife a minivan, and will be keeping our '98 4runner (4cyl. 2wd). I recently got a 4wheeler and a trailer, so my need for 4wd has diminished greatly.

Having said all that, I plan to get some good rubbers and install a locker. With a locked rear, good tires, and some driving skill, I can certainly get by with this setup.

But I need recommendations. I'm considering the Detroit soft locker. This truck also has ABS. I don't think there's any potential issues, but please correct me if so. Also feel free to post your thoughts on any other related issue. I've never ran a locker (I had a Detroit limited slip in my old yota p/u). Also, I assume that this 4runner has 4.10's stock, correct?

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:31 PM

IMO on a 2wd you wont really need a full time locker like a detroit. If you really want one for the occasional use you want a selectibe, like an ARB. They are a bit more $$, but you can turn it off and drive like a normal 2wd rig, i.e. no clicking or tire chirping.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

I have a 2wd locked 4runner which can hit the moderate trails pretty good with a winch being security.

Go with a powertrax/richmond lockrite. from performanceoffroad.com i think it is.

209 for it.. its automatic. not full time but when you hit the gas it locks it.

i dont think the 4cyl 2wd has 4.10s something like 3.93 or something. I know that my sport edition does have 4.10 but thats only for sport model 2wds
Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

you will likely have 3.73s. Thats what I used to have in mine.
2WD with a locker is a slight improvement. Been there and done that, if you really want to take it off road either sell it or swap it. I did my 4WD conversion for roughly $3000. And the difference is night and day!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 AM

Most times I venture into the woods, I'll have my 4wheeler with me. But there's still the possibility of having to cross a sippy hole or two, after a rain, or in a wetter area. For that reason, I'd like to have better tires and a locked rear. In short, I won't be offroading for the fun of it, so I really don't need 4wd.

I don't mind kicking in a couple hundred more bucks for a replacement diff. Really, I'd like some feedback on the differences between the regular Det. locker and the soft locker. Since it will spend most of the time on the pavement, I'm wondering if the soft locker actually makes that much difference. BTW, I tend to drive like Grandma anyway, so I don't see it being as big an issue on the road, as much as it would with a more aggressive driver. I know that there will still be certain adjustments as to my driving habits, but that's no big deal.

FWIW, putting only a limited slip in my old yota p/u, I found that it made a huge difference. But with a 2wd, I'd like to go ahead and lock it up.

Edit: Perhaps I need correction, but I was under the assumption that the Detroit was not a full time locker. In other words, it acted like an open diff, but locked when a certain amount of slippage occured. To me, a "full time" locker was something more akin to a spooled diff or "Lincoln locker". Please advise...

Last edited by Tree Man; 08-28-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 AM

Detroit is a full time locker. When you go around corners you cant have any power applied. I dont know about the soft locker, but the std one will ratched loudly. Its not as solid as a spool, but with power applied it is.

Since this is a 2wd street rig that needs to occasionally lock I would look at a ARB, they are a bit more $$, but the money is worth the street manners... An ARB is open all of the time, unless you hit the switch, then acts like a spool. Its the best of both world. I will never buy another traction device that isnt an ARB, even on tow/street rigs. I hate limited slips, see below...and full time lockers, to me, are silly on a DD.

As far as limited slips, IMO they are a waste of money. I have wasted money on "good" ones in the past. They work when you dont want them too (ice, snow), and dont work when you need them too...
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

The difference between the Detroit soft locker (all full time Detroits are soft lockers IIRC after a certain year) and the lockright is the Detroit replaces the stock housing so it's much stronger than the lockright.

For what you're describing, a lockright would be fine as long as you were OK w/ the mannerisms of a locker on the road. I don't know if you can justify an ARB's price for what you're trying to get.

Another option is a LSD, like the Detroit truetrac. It works very much like an open diff on road and gives some power to the wheel that grabs but not 50% like a locker.

IIRC, the price on a Detroit soft locker and truetrac is about $500, where the lockright is about $250.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 AM

Don't get me wrong...I'd love an ARB. But we're talking over $1000 after getting the compressor and all that. How bout some long term pros/cons of the add-on type (lockright) and the replacement type (soft locker)?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tree Man
Don't get me wrong...I'd love an ARB. But we're talking over $1000 after getting the compressor and all that. How bout some long term pros/cons of the add-on type (lockright) and the replacement type (soft locker)?
If you read up on the lockrite, many here run them on their DD w/ no issues. There may be some ratcheting noise on occassion but they all say the same thing: "it's not a big deal and you get used to it." For what you want to use it for, I would spend the least amount of money needed that will work. This is the lockrite.

The only reason to do the Detroit is if you plan on doing hard-core stuff that would mess up the stock carrier; otherwise, why spend the extra dollars?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

yeah my lockrite ratchets around curves.. but is only noticable when its locked.. then it quiets down after the big boom when it unlocks around a curve. I have gotten used to it.. first couple of days I didnt like it but has helped me at Tellico and I got up some ares with ease using it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please listen to Nitro.

4Wheeling takes gearing and lockers.

In a DD truck that is not wheeled hard by default, I would never in a million years run anything that ratcheted, locked, clicked or did anything but drive down the road. You are incurring significant consequences for minimal gain.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Please listen to Nitro.

4Wheeling takes gearing and lockers.

In a DD truck that is not wheeled hard by default, I would never in a million years run anything that ratcheted, locked, clicked or did anything but drive down the road. You are incurring significant consequences for minimal gain.

Agreed........ the only thing I would consdier in your case, 4wd swap/sell and buy 4wd, is a selectible... Otherwise you will not like the street manners...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been trying to figure this out myself for sometime, I like doing mild-medium offroading but I have a daily driver T100 and thats it. I cannot live with going around corners with a lunchbox locker (automatic, stick wouldnt matter I guess) and cannot afford an arb setup.

Is an LSD really worth it? I am in the same boat as the original poster.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM

The problem is it's so subjective, in terms of people's take on the operation and feel of a particular setup. To clarify, I have a 4wd now (matter of fact, I have never owned anything else). But 12 mpg isn't gett'n it anymore, and I have a 2wd 4runner on hand. I just bought a van for the wife, and I'm not interested in buying that, selling my p/up, selling the 4runner and buying a different 4wd that gets better mileage.

I will own this 2wd 4runer, and will buy either a Det truetrac or a soft locker. Many folks say that they hardly notice the locker...others say the opposite. I wish I could drive/handle one with a locker. Again, I had a truetrac on a '89 toyo 4X4 and it acted just like an open diff...but I always had the 4wd and granny gear for backup. I want the most traction possible, but I also will drive it daily. My ONLY concern is premature damage and wear of associated components...I DO NOT CARE ABOUT NOISE AND CLANKING.

All subjectivity aside...will the locker mess me up? If so, I'll go with the LSD. If not, then I would like the locker. $100 more ain't gonna break me...but $600 more (for the ARB) or $2500 more (for a 4wd conversion) will.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Many will tell you how much they love their LSD. And of course others will tell you they are garbage. Going by what you say you want to do with the truck, a selectable is where it's at.

I think if you are going to have a DD (especially a 2WD one) why spend money on something that will possibly inhibit proper control of the vehicle in an emergency or less-than-desirable conditions, yet give MINIMAL off road improvement? (Sorry, long sentence) If you're going to spend your time and money on this, do it right and go ARB.

Now, back to the LSD, I know a guy (Albuquerque Jim) who has an LSD in the front diff of his 2000 4Runner. He has been on some of the hardest trails in the country, with a manual tranny, LSD front, E-locker rear and NO crawler, and he has gotten places that I honestly didn't think his truck would be capable of. Granted, Jim is a great driver, but the point is, you will hear success and horror stories from everyone who has (or thinks they have) experience on the subject.

In the end, 2WD locked will get old very fast, leaving you wanting much, much more. So if you're going to spend any money, spend it all and get the ARB.

-Casey
Old 08-29-2006, 04:30 AM

While I'd love the ARB, I think I've all but decided to go w/ the LSD. I had real good results with the truetrac I used to run, and it's reasonably priced. I appreciate everyone's input. This site is definitely on my bookmarks now. Y'all take care.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM

how can i tell if my 4runner has a locker? 2004 sr5 2wd.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread is so old..
your 4runner would have the rr diff lock roange button by the steering wheel..
i dont think 2wd came with them as they are a 7.5 inch diff not the 8 inch rear end
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM

the button that says trac off?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trac off is your traction control. turning it off may help in offroad situations where you dont want the computer turning off the power when it feels a lost of traction... you'll want the power to the rear even if its just spinning. the rear locker (RR DIFF LOCK button on the dash) was last available in 01 if i remember correctly. you will not have a locker unless you install it youself or the previous own did, which is unlikely.....

(and thanks for searching... i find it funny when people bitch when someone bumps an old thread and they bitch when you start a new thread asking the same thing... i'd much rather see an old thread relived than having to read 100000 different threads asking the same thing)

Last edited by Tofer; 01-14-2009 at 06:12 PM.