Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steel hawse fairleads. bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steel hawse fairleads. bad idea?

the Warn steel hawse fairleads are a good bit cheaper than the polished aluminum fairleads.
The description says that the steel fairleads can be used with wire or synthetic line, and that polished aluminum is only for synthetic. I was thinking about getting a black steel hawse for $35.99 I can't budget the synthetic winchline right now so I was thinking that with a steel hawse fairlead I could use my current wire line (in great shape) on it for now, and then upgrade to a synthetic line on the same steel hawse. Will using a synthetic line on a steel hawse fairlead mess it up?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it shouldnt..? unless its like my steel fairlead that has a sharp edge on the inside.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't use a steel fairlead with synthetic line after being used with wire cable. I would think it may get some sharp edges after some hard pulls. By the way I believe I have a brand new hawse fairlead that came with my Ramsey. Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
PM'd ya, 92 Toyota.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk about cutting your grass lol
Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 Toyota
I wouldn't use a steel fairlead with synthetic line after being used with wire cable. I would think it may get some sharp edges after some hard pulls. By the way I believe I have a brand new hawse fairlead that came with my Ramsey. Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping.
This was going to be my statement.

When I switched to synthetic line, i had to change my fairlead to an aluminum type simply because the steel rope had worn out the steel fairlead. It would have ripped the synthetic line to shreds.

And mudpigg: hopefully that PM wasn't about that fairlead he offered to tim...that would be pretty rude if it was.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

thanks!

thanks 92toyota! you are generous to offer a hawse for the price o' shipping! thanks deathcougar for your cool note! much appreciated buddy... in his defense muddpigg did reply first...I'll leave it to 92 toyota to decide on what to do. either way one of us will get great use out of it! thanks again for the generous offer 92toy

i have been waiting on pulling the plug on the synth rope, viking trail line with hook and crushproof thimble is pretty pricey no matter how you slice it, but it looks sweet, I can't wait. Best deal I found with fairlead was $300...

hey deathcougar, good news, I sent an email to WARN, they sent me an envelope with brand new xd9000 mounting brackets for the TJM for free. Pretty awesome customer service! So, I will wait and see what happens with this fairlead...and then get the rope! Maybe we can meet up sometime before the holidays to throw the WARN in there with the sweet new rope...and I may even get a new speed sensor because my speedo is now firmly planted on the 0 even at highway speeds!

have a good weekend guys and thanks 92 toy, deathcougar and all YTers
T

Last edited by taikowaza; 11-22-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Staff

Hopefully we can get that thing installed soon for ya!

Nick got a job working with me at Nix99, so we may be able to use the shop this time.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

great news! hey congrats to Nick! That is amazing. Lynnwood is much closer than Marysville also!
You guys must be having a ball. Hey yotatechers who live in Washington...2 of the best toyota minds in the pacific northwest have teamed up!! There is nothing these 2 cannot do...we are lucky to have such a resource! Hey I will have free time in January...how about we organize a wheeling event in January?
I am thinking on the 24th...will be chilly but I want to try out the winch and synthetic line heheheh
also will pick up some ARB recovery materials from the Renton head office, I am thinking snatch block, I like the looks of the new ARB snatch block! Also tree saver and some shackles. don't know if I need snatch straps too...are they considered a 'must have' in the kit?
anyways keep January 24th in mind...would love to meet some of the WA/OR/BC YT crew
T
Old 11-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
And mudpigg: hopefully that PM wasn't about that fairlead he offered to tim...that would be pretty rude if it was.
Rude, don't really see how, but yep I did pm him about it. Now if they had made an agreement and I tried to somehow undo their deal with a counter off then that's rude. All else is fair game and I learned a long time ago it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Rude, don't really see how, but yep I did pm him about it. Now if they had made an agreement and I tried to somehow undo their deal with a counter off then that's rude. All else is fair game and I learned a long time ago it doesn't hurt to ask.
Got your PM mudd, yes you pm'd me first but since I did offer it to taiko first in the thread I really feel obligated to ask him first. If by chance he doesn't take it or fails to come through you get next dibs. I didn't think it was rude your right doesn't hurt to ask and by doing so you would get the next chance should he change his mind.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by 92 Toyota
Got your PM mudd, yes you pm'd me first but since I did offer it to taiko first in the thread I really feel obligated to ask him first. If by chance he doesn't take it or fails to come through you get next dibs. I didn't think it was rude your right doesn't hurt to ask and by doing so you would get the next chance should he change his mind.
Hey, no worries and thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 AM

You guys do understand this is a STEEL fairlead not aluminum right?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 AM

I do thought it would be good to reduce space on winch mount and allow me to use the receiver hitch that the roller blocks. Read on another site about being tough on cable during strong pulls. I've been working nights so can't sleep much on off nights so I surf allot since can't wrench. I think I'm going to swap out to a synthetic rope in the future so ALuminum is the choice for that.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Staff

A steel fairlead, if unused/undamaged, will work just fine with the synthetic line. If it gets damaged, it will rip the synthetic line to shreds. However, the same thing goes for the aluminum fairleads. Really, its just a matter of preference and "bling". The Steel fairlead you have 92Toy will work perfect for what Tim has, or Mud has.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
This was going to be my statement.

When I switched to synthetic line, i had to change my fairlead to an aluminum type simply because the steel rope had worn out the steel fairlead. It would have ripped the synthetic line to shreds.
x3

Wire rope will damage a steel fairlead too if pulled at an angle. That's kinda the point - damage the fairlead instead of your winch mount or the rope.

To the OP - why are you buying a fairlead, just get a winch and it didn't come with one? I wuld just use the roller or whatever with the wire rope until you save up for synthetic and get a new fairlead then. As you have pointed out, synthetic winch line is not cheap - do you really want to take chances?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Staff

He bought a used winch, which didn't have a fairlead with it
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

yep...got a barely used WARN xd9000lb winch for $400. A great deal but it didn't come with a fairlead or mounting bolts. It was good of WARN to send me the bolts for free, just got them yesterday.
And...92toyota thank you so much for the hawse fairlead I appreciate it very much indeed.
The wire rope that came with my winch is pretty burred and would definitely cut hands w/o gloves. (well, I should wear gloves anyway so this may be a non-issues). Still, I decided that getting a Hawse and going synthetic to start with, would be better than buying a new roller fairlead to put that older line on (I am not sure of that line's integrity as it was used).

Thinking about lines, it's narrowed to a viking trail line, or a viking combo line that has heat-resistant technora line on the first 20 or so feet. the trail line also has a coating but it's not as temp resistant as the combo line. is that combo overkill? If the trail line is sufficient I will save the extra money and go with that.
Also what is the current thought of hook vs. safety thimble, both are available, I saw that glen yoshida and elvota both got thimbles but then seemed to have 2nd thoughts and wished they had gone hooks. But I have heard of hooks seizing in the snow/rain. So that's the impasse I'm at now. hopefully I can get some opinions and buy the line this week in hopes of getting it all spooled in before the holidays

about synthetic line colors, any colors to stay away from with synthetic line due to fading/strength etc? I'm thinking about orange, don't know if it even matters, or if it's better to get something black that will match the bumper and stay stealth, seeing as this is expensive line, don't know if there is any theft of it or not.

Last edited by taikowaza; 11-23-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
And...92toyota thank you so much for the hawse fairlead I appreciate it very much.
Your welcome. I'll try and get it out for you today thanks for the prepaid label that does speed things up.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

the honor is all mine 92toy. I'll use it with pride. Can't wait to get it installed. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 100feet of 3/8" trail line with a hook. I'm thinking orange but still not sure about standard amsteel trail line or combo line with the first 25' in technora heat resistant. Is heat really an issue with these lines, is there a real risk of melting it to the drum?

Quick Reply: steel hawse fairleads. bad idea?