Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably NOT...the last 4th gen 4r lift question..(specifically about the OME kit)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
bdh1213

Question Probably NOT...the last 4th gen 4r lift question..(specifically about the OME kit)

Ive been stalking around this site since last year sometime when I stumbled across it looking for a lift for my 04 4runner (after I had spent a weekend sanding the undercarriage and pulling seashells off the top of the skid plates on the Eastern NC seashore). Even though spacer kits have been available since then, and are the most cost efficient lift alternative, (and my thinking may be fglawed here) Ive never been fond of them from an engineering perspective. So when I saw FirstToy's post about the OME kit I was psyched!

Since I dont have any loyalty to one vendor over another the deal at trdparts4u was too good to pass up. I got mine for the advertised price of $699 delivered, plus $150 for the front pre-assembled; oh and plus $6 and some change each for 5MM trim packers. Thats where my first question comes in.....

They said I need 5MM trim packers on the drivers side only. I guessed this was to account for the gas and the drivers weight. But after I had some time to think about it...... what happens when you have an empty fuel tank....or a passenger?! I recall Firstoy saying he didnt install these when he did his OME lift. And what exactly is a trim packer for anyway? If anybody has any thoughts or comments on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I have to wait a month or so for them to get the parts and pre-assemble the front and then ship them to me. Since I have the time to spare to modify my order, I was wondering if anybody else thats already running this kit with the N142S rear shocks thinks theyre kidney busters with the vehicle empty? I was thinking about the N141S rear shocks instead since the heaviest thing I haul will be camping gear, coolers, backpacks and the dog. And after all, (even though I hate like hell to admit it) my 4r is also my wifes daily driver! Once again, thoughts or comments on this subject (except about my wife ) will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim packers are small, under the coil metal spacer rings that give the vehicle just a tiny bit a extra lift. To be honest I doubt you would notice wether you put them in or not. The vehicle will sit level and you won't notice any difference in ride. I still have my trim packers sitting in the package on the peg board. The trim packers are only about as thick as two quarters and only provide about 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch of extra lift.

I don't think the trim packers were very expensive so if you don't are about the extra money just let em put them on. Otherwise call and cancel. Its a pretty trivial part of the lift.

Make sure and post pics when you are done.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, I'd recommend the trim packers just in case ..
Old 08-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

Oh, and if you click on the little '03.4Runner.v8 link in my signature you can see which combination of parts I'm running.

Have you already gotten your kit?

I'm running the N141s in the rear with the heavy duty coils ... THAT is a kidney buster.