Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Locker - should it go up front or in back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Locker - should it go up front or in back?

I'm thinking of having a locker installed and not sure if you're running just one locker, should it go up front or to the back. I searched around not finding an answer.

I was thinking put it up front. Is it better to have two locked tires pulling instead of two locked tires pushing? With snow/mud, two tires pushing might lead to sliding around.

Am I correct or still confused?

If you install a locker and have 33" tires, is it time to re-gear?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

One locker = rear. Good luck. I want one too.

My Tacoma was freaking unstoppable with it.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Rear. While your logic may make sense, unless you upgrade your CV axles, you will be putting a lot of strain on them with a front only locker.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:53 AM

Another vote for a locked rear.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:56 PM

Definately rear.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

again, rear
Old 06-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 PM

I say rear. I'd rather be pushing than pulling.

Noel
Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

hmm, so i get the feeling that the majority of the people here like it in the rear..
Old 06-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Taken out of context, that could be misconstrued...

Let's just say that if you put it in the rear, it significantly decreases the chances of the front popping out little components that are completely unwanted and which are a clear sign that you didn't protect that front properly.

Of course, putting it in the front has it's advantages as well. The front tends to have easier access and it's simple to lube up. The rear installation requires the careful manipulation of the "third member" and there is often a considerable amount of preparation required before the process can even be begun, where in the front you can just insert it and be done with it.

Time wise, you can often be in and out of the front with a minimal investment of time, but the rear often turns out to be worthy of your efforts as well.

So, in summary, either way you go, you are a winner.

We are talking about axles and lockers, right?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD

Let's just say that if you put it in the rear, it significantly decreases the chances of the front popping out little components that are completely unwanted and which are a clear sign that you didn't protect that front properly.

Of course, putting it in the front has it's advantages as well. The front tends to have easier access and it's simple to lube up. The rear installation requires the careful manipulation of the "third member" and there is often a considerable amount of preparation required before the process can even be begun, where in the front you can just insert it and be done with it.

Time wise, you can often be in and out of the front with a minimal investment of time, but the rear often turns out to be worthy of your efforts as well.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

I think you should send it to me.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:19 AM

So very well written, Rob!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Old 06-03-2003, 07:05 AM

Also, If you rely on 4 wheel drive for any snow driving (we get enough in Baltimore for that to be a concern)... having a full time locker in the front is a scary thing in the snow. remember when the wheels spin you lose traction - which in the front means you lose steering too.

I'd go with the rear.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

wow, im slow. i had to read that twice to get the joke. anyway im thinking of doing the same thing. my question is what are the disadvantages to running a rear locked axle on pavement ? why should i pay 3x as much for a disengagable locker? i realize what a locker does, im just wondering if you drive carefully is it that bad? or will it wear down tires fast etc.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Joke?

There are three degrees of locked and each has advantages and disadvantages...

Selectable: Expensive, requires air, electricity or a cable to engage. Allows the diff to act like an "open" diff for good on road manners while still being hard locked for off road.

Automatic locker: Moderately priced, generally requires some level of wheel spin to lock up. Can be unpredictable in it's operation. Changes in on road handling are upsetting to some people. Odd sounding clicks and pops when cornering bother some people. Requiring some wheel spin to lock can be a big downside in the rocks. Some wheel hop and axle bind is possible. Tires may experience some additional wear.

Spool/Lincoln locker: CHEAP! Major changes in on road drivability. Axle will bind during cornering, resulting in some unpredictability to cornering and handling in general. Tires often suffer increased wear from cornering. Tight corners can result in major wheel hop.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

J
Spool/Lincoln locker: CHEAP! Major changes in on road drivability. Axle will bind during cornering, resulting in some unpredictability to cornering and handling in general. Tires often suffer increased wear from cornering. Tight corners can result in major wheel hop.
Don't do this unless you are driving on the trails 80% of the time or more. My roommate did this, and instead of paying $700 for a REAL locker he got to spend $700 on new tires in about 12 months.

Dan
Old 06-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by asudan96Runner
Don't do this unless you are driving on the trails 80% of the time or more. My roommate did this, and instead of paying $700 for a REAL locker he got to spend $700 on new tires in about 12 months.

Dan
Excellent point.

Pay now or pay later.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Brown
Excellent point.

Pay now or pay later.
Pay now, or keep paying over and over and over. My roommate went back to NO locker after he bought the new tires. That's an $$$ mistake to make.

Dan

Quick Reply: One Locker - should it go up front or in back?