Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long trip... Precautionary measures...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Long trip... Precautionary measures...?

Going to be doing a long offroad excursion this January for about a month. 50% on road, 50% offroad. About 1-2k miles of driving.

I had a few concerns, as I will not be around civilization during most of the trip.

Right now I am planning on replacing all the hoses and belts, along with most the fluids and oils. Will also buy a new battery before leaving.

Also, I am planning on buying one of those MV-500 (I can't remember the part#) from Pep-boys for $50. I've read they are really powerful. Anyone else run these? They are small, and wont take up a bunch of room like a tank of air would.

Also, spare tire locations. Anyone ever mount theirs to the front? I can't find another suitable place!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well aside from the usual tool loadout if you're going to be doing some extensive offroading I'd say
two spares
tire plug kit
spare cv axle
plenty of starting fluid/brake clean/wire dryer in case of a wet cap
zip ties
spare cv boot
couple u-joints
jb weld

as for the spare have you thought of a roof rack or rear spare swing out carrier?

oh and a camera with plenty of batteries! I demand pics that and have fun with the trip
Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks man.
Yes, the spare tire thing is pissing me off. I have a swing *down* carrier, and a roof rack. Both spots are a PIA. The top will have other gear, along with surfboards and gas cans. The rear sucks because I have to move the tire down everytime I need to access the hatch! Im thinking of getting a front hitch and putting that carrier up in the front.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 AM

at least one HI-LIFT. you can't change your tire if you can't jack it up.

also, search for satellite phone rental services. it saves lives.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 08-28-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM

water cans, fuel cans, and the mv-50 works real well. tire deflators. freeze dried food-check out bear creek at your local market the tortilla is real good. and cheap

i just finished a 10,000 mile trip any questions just ask
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Banned

curious where is your trip going to take you?
MRE's is a good option, but also maybe a small grill for those things.
as others have said gas cans, water cans, get some tarps while you are at it incase you have to work on the truck in the middle of a sand dune, hi lift, base for hi lift,

dunno if has been mentioned
spare tie rod ends and inners maybe, with boots. for each side. u joints for the driveshafts.

if i think of anything else ill let you know.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM

make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave. my grandmother used to tell me that all the time...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86
make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave. my grandmother used to tell me that all the time...
Always good advice! Take along a first aid kit. The more remote you'll be, the more extensive the kit should be.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HuskyRunner
Always good advice! Take along a first aid kit. The more remote you'll be, the more extensive the kit should be.
Yeah, the human patch kit is a good thing to have, and to know how to use.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

I know everyone hates to hear this, but it is the single most important thing you can do.

Tell someone where you are going. Tell someone that will act rationally in a crisis, and follow your directions.

For the last few years I have been leaving a written itinerary with my Dad before I go on any wheeling trip. Now the itinerary is fairly "Loose", I leave a map and generally go over the route with my dad and show possible side trips, approximate dates/times of where I will be.

Yes I am 34 years old and I still tell my Dad where I am going, why?

a. He has more back country experience than me.
B. He can drive a 4wd.
c. He is good with maps/GPS.
d. He might actually come and help me out if I was in trouble.

If I am out for more than 3 days I generally also set up a time when I will call to let him know things are OK, and set up a time/ date that I will be back in town.

Dad drove me to crown king a few years ago when I had to leave my exploder up there with 2 flats.

Plan your route carefully, research some of the local areas and try to compile a list of local "resources" in the event any unfortunate, unforseen event happens. Like auto parts stores, gas stations obviously, nearby towns and possibly even nearby medical facilities.

2K mile trips rule! I did a loop up to the Black Rock Desert this winter from Phoenix and I loved every moment on the road.

Unless you are married, I would avoid leaving directions/itineraries with your significant other (if they are not going). A buddy of mine and I went for a long Day hike, we hiked for a long time fairly deep into an area and were underprepared. long story short we ended up spending the night and hiking out the next day. Having no food and ran out of water + spending the night out in a sweatshirt and shorts, our time to get back to the truck was significantly increased. I was close to 24 hours late. At the time I had a good relationship with the girl; however, her response was immedeate anger because I didn't come home the night before, even though I told her I was going hiking. She never thought to call any of my friends to see where I was.

Use a trusted friend or family member first, and have a written plan with clear instructions.

Last edited by dlbrunner; 08-28-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys. Im trying to get more information on just the TRUCK... I want to take care of EVERYTHING that I can before I leave. I just want to be self-sufficient if something breaks down since there are several areas where I will be where the nearest help is 200+ miles away!

Thanks though. I'm a pretty seasoned rough-camper. Lots of trips into the desert of central Baja.

We already have a satellite phone. I agree that its awesome!

My trip will be going through Baja, possibly over to mainland via ferry, and down into Nayarit.

Right now in the way of Truck prep/accessories I have:

1) Change belts/hoses
2) New battery
3) Hi-lift
4) Compressor
5) Tire kit
6) Mechanics set of tools

Anything else I should bring for the truck. I can' think of any other supplies that I would need if I got in a pinch. Of course if I have a mechanical error in the engine, Im screwed, but, im talking about other issues that wouldn't be too hard to fix.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM

ratchet strap in case you blow the bead on a tire
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM

as you said it's a long trip in the desert. you said "we" so you are not going solo.

1.)your air filter can be blogged pretty quickly, so bring one with you(paper media not K&N).

2.) from your profile and pictures, i understand you don't have a winch. well there is cheap alternitives. you can buy a 2-ton hoist and 2 tow straps. dig a deep hole in the sand, put 1 of the tow strap throu the spare tire then burry the spare tire in there. with one peson sit on top of it, another pull the polley, most of the time you can get yourself out.

i've not tried this yet, but my father worked for power companies building hi-voltage power transmission lines over deserts, forests, swamps, etc. that's how they did in the old days. light, cheap and effective. they normally had 3people, one on the tire, one on the hoist, another behind he wheel.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001976.html

3.) water, water and more CLEAN water, but i believe you know that.

4.) radiator cap. gas tank cap.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

That hoist is pretty cool

The thing is, I usually go with another vehicle, and not as great as a distance.

This time, its me and my buddy in my truck, and nothing else. I think the only time I'll need a winch is if its a rainy year. I've already done about 75% of the driving offroad that I will be attempting this year...so I know its do-able, as long as the mud ain't 3 feet deep and the rivers aren't flowing too hard!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 AM

I would take replacement;
Oil filter and engine oil

engine coolant

diff oil and seals

couple wheel bearing kits

couple windscreen wiper blades

superglue (good for allsorts, including fixing large wounds)

chemical metal ( for fixing holed radiator)