Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Locker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Locker?

Which one is better quality an lock-right or aussie?
Old 11-06-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TRX,

moved to offroad tech

you probably dont want to hear this, but that question is pretty subjective. if you haven't gone to the off road tech section, you should. htere is a very good FAQ on lockers. you really should read this and get an idea of the differences between the two types of lockers. read the pros and cons.

also, you really need to search "lock rite" and "aussie" because there are a ton of threads on both types of lockers. i did about a month's worth of reserach on lockers and because of the unavailability of the aussie for 3rd gen 4runners and the fact taht i didn't like the limitations of the lock rites, i ended up buying a 3rd member e-locker (which i have not installed yet)

my apologies pulling out the search card, but seriously, you need to understand the pros and cons of both becuase ultimately, you know better than anyone else what kind of wheeling/daily driving you do and what type of locker will best suit you

bob
Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the aussie and I think it is great. I like to believe the aussie is superior (I researched both, quite a bit before purchasing), but they are nearly identical.

As far as I can tell, the aussie is improved because, A) the teeth have a less severe angle to them so they are supposed to allow for easy racheting, B) suppsoedly it has less "windows" cut into the actual unit for spring insertion so it is stronger, C) the springs are supposed to softer allowing easier racheting.

That is how I understand it. The detroit softlocker sounds to have the same improvements but is a full carrier locker rather than just a drop-in lunchbox.

I have ridden in loc-rite and aussie equipped rigs and can't tell a difference.

I think the name "aussie" sounds cooler, so go with that....
Old 11-06-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is a soft-locker what they call the Detroit EZ locker?

Lamm
Old 11-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Is a soft-locker what they call the Detroit EZ locker?

Lamm

nope 2 different critters. As mentioned above the Soft locker is a full carrier and the EZ locker is similar to a lock right or Aussie in that its assembled inside your stock carrier. After researching the heck out of auto lockers for my vehicle I found that the Soft locker is the only "full carrier" locker that Detroit offers for the Toyota now. They don't even offer the older style "Hard" Locker for Toyota any more. Zuk did an install of a hard locker on his web page and showed how to tell if you have an older hard locker. I guess from the out side the difference is that you can see all the way through the "hard locker" and the "soft locker" you cant.

Linked from http://www.gearinstalls.com/