Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub centric wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub centric wheel spacers

I am adding a set of wheel spacers to my 2004 4Runner, to prevent the wider tires from rubbing on the UCA.

I have seen the wheel spacers listed on the "Mods & Accessories for 4th Gen 4Runners" https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117/modifications-accessories-faq-4th-gen-4runner-95442/

The factory alloy wheels are hub-centric, and the lug nuts are not designed to center the wheel on the hub. All the spacers seem have no lip, to locate the wheel on.

The SpiderTrax http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1252/.f does have a lip for the hub-centric wheel. They are a 1.25" spacer.

My question is: If I only want a 1" spacer, what is going to keep the wheel centered?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 PM

huh?
they should be LUG centric. I have 1.5" spacers and they center with conical lug nuts, and the wheels center with the shoulder lug nuts. I paid like 99 for all 4. I also have GX wheels which are also LUG centric.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM

The factory alloy wheels have a square shoulder in the hole, where the lug nuts tighten down. This square shoulder is for the washer of the factory lug nut, to tighten against. These wheels must be centered with the hub (hub centric), as there is too much slop between the lug nut and the hole of the wheel, to properly center the wheel. The cone shape lug nuts are designed to tighten into cone shaped holes in the wheels (factory steel), and these are lug-centric.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM

After re-reading your post I see that your spacer is located and tightend as a lug-centric piece, with the acorn nuts.

Now your wheels are using the factory lug nuts and unless there is a hub sticking out of your spacer, to center the wheel, it is not properly centered.

This could cause vibration problems, and loose lug nuts, etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 PM

no, the shouldered lug nuts center the wheel on the hub, not the hub.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM

http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/to...c-and-bol.html
any taco, third, 4th gen runner, lexus gx470, tundra fall under this.all are LUG centric
Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 PM

back on topic, My wheels were balanced on a lug adapter and I have zero vibration issues with the spacers. i got them off of ebay, like 99 shipped for all 4
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Interesting. I know there has been much debate on this subject. If I am wrong, that will be good for me. Then I can purchase the 1" wheel spacers. This could be very good.
Thanks Kyle, I will look into this further.

Anyone else out there know anything about this?

Wab Fab?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM

I spoke with someone that has installed many of these on Toyotas.

The shank style lugnuts are supposed to have a close fit to the hole in the wheel. Close enough that it will center the wheel properly, even if there is no hub sticking out to index to the center of the wheel opening.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Purchased 1" spacers (adapters) and installed

I ordered a set of 1" spacers from WabFab, he is a dealer for Trail Gear. The spacers look great, and seem to be made well.

I installed them and took them for a spin. There is a shimmy at 45mph and up. The shimmy was not there an hour before I installed them.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 PM

put a dab of grease on the cone part of the lug, then torque them down slowely and meticulously. i go to 87-90 ft-lbs. I have heard of some running thread lock. I dont and have not had issues, but I retorque them every once in a while.
I have rin mine for a year and have had them off and on and have had no issues whatsoever. I have 1.5" ebay knock off spacers at that.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks Kyle, I will try the grease on the cone surface.

What do you use to hold the front hub tight, while you tighten down the first set of lug nuts. With out the tire on it, the hub just spins, when trying to lock down the spacer.

I suppose I could have an assistant pressing hard on the brake peddel, while I thighten up the nuts.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM

Finally finished

I used a little penetrating oil (that will disipate over time) to lube the cones, during installation. I torqued them down to 100 ft-lbs. I had the tires balanced and rotated.

It all works great now. No vibrations or wabbling.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM

I would not torque them past 100, i do mine to 87. and be sure to check them after 2 weeks or so.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM

100 seems high; but that is what WabFab does, and what he recommended to me. I guess he installs a few sets of these every month.

I noticed that if all six lugs on each side are not equally tight, the rig starts to tell me, with vibrations and the steering wobble.

Have you noticed vibrations or wobbles after a couple weeks, that make you want to tighten them down again?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM

nope. not one single vibration.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Update: I had the wheels/tires balanced and rotated. I had the shop torque the spacers to 100ft-lbs at the same time. When all was done, there was very minor vibrations at 55mph.
After 300 miles, I had the same shop pull the wheels, and re-torque the spacers, and re-install the tires/wheels. Now there is a lot of vibration at 55mph.
When I got home, I used my torque wrench to check and re-set the torque on the wheels only, and it changes the vibrations and makes it a little better.
This whole spacer thing seems to be PITA. How does anyone make this work, on a rig that sees any highway time?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 AM

I have installed a few different sets of wheel spacers, including Trail Gear and Spidertrax.

Spidertrax spacers are much better quality, and I know they have spacers designed for both the early and late Toyotas while the TG ones are specifically for the early Toyotas. I would remove the TG ones and order some Spidertrax spacers, install them and see if you get any vibrations.

Also, use RED loc tite when you install any spacers and re-torque them after the first 100 or so miles. Check them regularly to make sure they are tight.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 AM

Thanks Westy. I may try that; but if I am going to spend more money, I may just buy wheels with the correct offset, and quit messing with these spacers.

Question: If I were to use loc-tite, wouldn't re-torquing the nuts break the glue, and render the loc-tite useless?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:53 AM

For peace of mind, especially with a long trip ahead of you, I'd ditch the spacers, and get the correct wheels.

Quick Reply: Hub centric wheel spacers