Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabtech lift for 2WD Prerunner

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabtech lift for 2WD Prerunner

Once I get rid of the hopeless piece of junk '85 sitting in my garage, I'm entertaining the idea of building up my Prerunner, and I had a question for you guys.....

I'm looking into the Fabtech 0-3.5" lift kit for the Tacoma Prerunners as seen here in this link...(I'm looking at the Performance kit)

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...yota_2wd_1.htm

Anyway, my question regards my understanding of this kit. This would allow me to lift the front end of the truck anywhere from 0-3.5" correct? Giving it a "real" Prerunner stance?
If anyone can verify that for me I'd appreciate it...I can't seem to find any more details on it.
Oh, and don't recommend a long travel kit instead....I'm not that rich.

Last edited by Pretacopower; 11-03-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have these coil overs on my truck. I like them for rock crawling because they are very soft. Even with the swap bar connected I can compress them to the bumpstops and they will droop as far as possible.

With that said I would not try them on a pre-runner unless it is only to look at. If you try to hit any jumps at high speed you will bottom out and probably start tearing stuff up. You need SAWS or something stiffer for a prerunner.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I won't be doing any high speed jumps or anything, as far as I know thats what the long travel kits are for and those run around 3 grand
I'm basically looking for a good performance lift, one that'll be able to take a good beating but nothing like getting air off of jumps.
If anyone has any other recommendations, I'm all ears
Old 11-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well,
I will say this... I know you were not looking at the regular one, but i'm just going to give you more reason not to look at it. It took me 5 days to replace my shocks in a setup like that. Mine is a downey coilover and they use bilstein shocks, but thats besides the point. The threaded collar rusted to the shock and I had to cut the old shock in half and grind out the screws from the back side, then use a 20ton press to push the shock out. Now i'm doing the same thing to get the damn things back on (they should be ready to go on tomorrow. If you aren't going to wheel the thing, there is no use in spending all that money though. Just get a spacer lift and be done with it. You should upgrade your shocks for a better ride but I think that is overkill for a truck thats going to be rarely taken off road. These lifts you have shown will not widen your stance (like a prerunner) for that you need a long travel kit... it will just raise the stance and allow for bigger tires. If you combine a spacer lift and wheels with less backspacing or if you get wheel spacers that will give you the wider stance your looking for.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Well,
I will say this... I know you were not looking at the regular one, but i'm just going to give you more reason not to look at it. It took me 5 days to replace my shocks in a setup like that. Mine is a downey coilover and they use bilstein shocks, but thats besides the point. The threaded collar rusted to the shock and I had to cut the old shock in half and grind out the screws from the back side, then use a 20ton press to push the shock out. Now i'm doing the same thing to get the damn things back on (they should be ready to go on tomorrow. If you aren't going to wheel the thing, there is no use in spending all that money though. Just get a spacer lift and be done with it. You should upgrade your shocks for a better ride but I think that is overkill for a truck thats going to be rarely taken off road. These lifts you have shown will not widen your stance (like a prerunner) for that you need a long travel kit... it will just raise the stance and allow for bigger tires. If you combine a spacer lift and wheels with less backspacing or if you get wheel spacers that will give you the wider stance your looking for.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
I thought about just going with a general lift, but I do like to go on a good off-roading trip every now and then and was hoping to find something that would make it a little better performance-wise. I know that usually when people want to do this with 2wd trucks, they go with long travel kits....but those things ain't cheap
I'll prolly search a little and see what else is out there....thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Pretacopower; 11-03-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Banned

i did spindles on m ytruck... they are awesome.. a lot stronger than stock.... and i beat the crap out of my 4x2.... fabtech is a great company to deal with....
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

They don't make spindles for 6 lug Taco's, only the 5 lug
Old 11-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Why not get a Sway-a-Away coilover.

Clicky