Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual transfer case, what will it do for automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual transfer case, what will it do for automatic

hello yotatech,
i saw the gear slug thread, looks cool. i just wanted to actually know what a dual transfer case will do. personally i have a 2nd generation 4runner v6 with auto. nothing special on it other than lift and tires. will a dual transfer case do anything for me with no lockers? any advice would help me and others i'm sure
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just give you lower gears.

Won't do ANYTHING for you if tires are off the ground!

Locker first - so you can put the power to the ground regardless.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

so no need to regear if i get lockers and a dual case????
Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Welll ........ the 'case really only helps when you are in low. The dual cases allow you to have 2WD Low, but that's probably more of a change than you'd really like for driving on the road.

Do a search - I remember seeing a post that showed the different gear ratios and drivetrains you select with the different levers in each position. The install is pretty involved - I would recommend this being one of the last mods on the list unless you do REALLY hardcore rock crawling.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

ya i will scrach this idea and just look for a good locker or spool for the rear....that should be all i need to off road.....thanks TC
Old 12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other thing to note, vehicles with an extremely low crawl ratio and automatics may not be able to stop in gear (brakes cant hold the vehicle....)
Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

than how about that disc brake thing that attaches to the t case and drive shaft...that should help me stop on a slope
Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by i_rifiyou
than how about that disc brake thing that attaches to the t case and drive shaft...that should help me stop on a slope
I don't think it will fit with dual cases, (maybe if you modify the design it will). I hear the best thing to do is put the tranny in neutral when you want to stop.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-09-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 AM

Dual t'cases are used primarily by the rock crawlin' crowd to provide more control (ie: lower gearing) when climbing obsitcals. For most other 4x4 uses it's a waste of money.

Other than crawlin' the only use I've found for the crawler box is for getting up on top of deep snow w/ the tires almost flat...makes it a bit more difficult to spin the tires.

I have a driveshaft mounted e-brake- they are a poor replacement for the stock e-brake. If my pinion angle wasn't so high, I'd have modified the stock e-brake to work over the leaf pack.

Spools are for hard core wheelin' - if you don't plan on getting offhighway virtually every weekend, there are better choices in lockers. They are "cheap" only in the sence that they don't cost as much as other lockers. The tires my spool has eaten would have payed for an ARB...

A spool requires a complete install as does an ARB, so you don't save any money there either...

I'd recommend you start with a drop in locker like an Aussie Locker and see where you can and or can't go before you spend any big bucks...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

thank you sir
Old 12-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dual ultimate auto with 5.29's

I grab neutral to stop quick.

Lockers, gears, in that order.

All a crawler would let you do is spin two tires really slow.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by colsoncj
One other thing to note, vehicles with an extremely low crawl ratio and automatics may not be able to stop in gear (brakes cant hold the vehicle....)
Wow...never thought of that. With a 4:1 crawl ratio and the "magic" 2:1 torque converter multiplier, 200 ft-lbs at the crank becomes over 8000 ft-lbs at the wheels (given a 5:1 overall ratio for the tranny and rear end to make the numbers easy) - thats a ton (actually 4 tons) of torque!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:35 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm familiar with autos having owned 2 Jeeps with them and now 2 Runners with them also. A low geared auto is a thing to behold.
My friend had a 94 Runner with a 3.4 Vortec engine and th350 auto tranny with dual Yota cases(rear case had 4.7 gears). He had 36 inch TSL's being turned by Detroits and 529 gears. Talk about low over-all gearing! He said the 2.28 by itself was sufficient for the rocks.....4.7 by itself for the slow tricky stuff......but to have the 2.28x4.7 together was only good for show-off stuff. It was geared low enough at that point to go up stuff with no driver in the cockpit ......the brakes would not stop it at that point. Much like a low geared manual where you have to push the clutch in to stop it.....you have to actually reach for the console shifter and touch neutral to stop a low geared auto.

quote "i saw the gear slug thread, looks cool. i just wanted to actually know what a dual transfer case will do. personally i have a 2nd generation 4runner v6 with auto. nothing special on it other than lift and tires. will a dual transfer case do anything for me with no lockers? any advice would help me and others i'm sure "

If I had a 2nd gen Runner with V6 with auto and at least 33" tires.....where it was used only occasionally on trails and driven daily.....I would do 529 or 571 in the axles as the primary gearing.....then I'd go the dual TC with the stocker 2.28's in BOTH cases. That would make that Runner awesome. Nothing would stop it.....up to the limits of its traction. I'd get a locker in the rear because I know how friendly autos and lockers are. It would be a Detroit SoftLocker at that. I might leave the front IFS open...at least for awhile. But that's me. ZUK

Last edited by ZUK; 12-10-2005 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:08 PM

and one other thing to worry about is the fact that the A340H is a pain to add cases to. Inchworm just came out with an adapter that allows the removal of the "permanently attached" tcase and the addition of a gear case. The adapter alone is about 500 bucks, plus the new dual case setup....so if I were you, I would just get lockers and stuff first, then see if you really want to go through all that. Later boys...Alex
Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crawler#976
Dual t'cases are used primarily by the rock crawlin' crowd to provide more control (ie: lower gearing) when climbing obsitcals. For most other 4x4 uses it's a waste of money.

Other than crawlin' the only use I've found for the crawler box is for getting up on top of deep snow w/ the tires almost flat...makes it a bit more difficult to spin the tires.

I have a driveshaft mounted e-brake- they are a poor replacement for the stock e-brake. If my pinion angle wasn't so high, I'd have modified the stock e-brake to work over the leaf pack.

Spools are for hard core wheelin' - if you don't plan on getting offhighway virtually every weekend, there are better choices in lockers. They are "cheap" only in the sence that they don't cost as much as other lockers. The tires my spool has eaten would have payed for an ARB...

A spool requires a complete install as does an ARB, so you don't save any money there either...

I'd recommend you start with a drop in locker like an Aussie Locker and see where you can and or can't go before you spend any big bucks...

Very well said. I wont be crawling and the low range in my auto is low enough. Some gears, some lift, some tires and some traction devices should get you anywhere you want to go for the most part.

James