Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Operation Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARB Operation Question

I feel dumb for asking this, I coudln't find what I want in the search.

My Question:

When using an ARB locker, does the compressor need to be on the whole time you are "locked", or does the locker hold air until you disengage it?

If the latter, how do you know when to turn of the comp?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:03 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The compressor needs to be "on", but it may not be running. The pressure switch will turn it on and off.

You need constant pressure to hold the locker locked. (an opportunity for improvement in their design IMHO, but it does have the effect of failing "safe" - to an open diff if something happens to the air)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM

How often does your compressor kick on and off?

seems pretty annoying to have that thing humming whenever it wants.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want silent operation, Powertank makes the Jetpack which is just for airlockers.

http://powertank.com/products/productID/141

2x20 oz tanks just for lockers.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lock my back locker and leave it, cycling the front on and off only as I need it. Doing this I might have the compressor run every 3rd engagement. If I don't use the front, the compressor very rarely runs, maybe once an hour if even that often. It's certainly not annoying. The lockers themselves don't typically lose much air and so the compressor should basically never run just holding the lockers locked. There is a little air lost in the connections, the third member bulkhead, etc. But it should be very slow and if the compressor runs any more often than maybe every 30 minutes you should check for leaks.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
How often does your compressor kick on and off?

seems pretty annoying to have that thing humming whenever it wants.
depends on how well its installed, and how often you flick the 'majic button' on and off. if you've got a slight air leak..it'll kick on more frequently as the 90psi needed will start to lose pressure.

i leave my compressor on before i think i'll need it..and flick the locker on and off as needed. the compressor may kick in for about 3-5 seconds every 5 or 10 minutes. if it comes on more than that, without any locker use..theres probably a leak to be concerned about. mines got the tiniest one..but im not concerned about it as it holds the locker on...
Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run mine off my own OBA system w/ about 2 gallons of air storage. I can usually air up the tank and then shut the compressor off and get about 30-60 minutes of use without the compressor being on (mainly drops from leakage in my air plumbing). I have a dash mounted pressure gauge and can see when the pressure is dropping low enough to need refilling. Not a lot of storage in the ARB compressor, though.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Ok, well that answers alot of my questions.

-The lockers will stay locked without the compressor on
-The lockers will eventually bleed off.
-When the compressor is on it is for short lengths
-The compressor turns itself on when the pressure drops, it is not always running.

I can handle that.

Is there any danger of sending to much pressure to the locker and blowing out the "bag"... taht is what my less educated friends warn me of. Would it require a pressure regulator?

Last edited by deathrunner; 06-08-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what the pressure switch does. If you're using the ARB compressor and pressure switch, the risk is minimal.

People who run them off CO2 have MAJOR issues with that.

Mine would go a LONG time without cycling the compressor, although interestingly, whenever I would turn off the truck, it would ALWAYS come on when I started the truck.

I now have a couple gallons of air storage in the bumper and turn on the compressor on the way to the trail, and that's usually the last I hear it.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

imo, for worry free use..use an arb compressor with an arb locker. im using the compact one. with all the proper switches, lines, and fittings..its plug n play. i've got a separate compressor for tires. i dont run air tools..so i have no need for high CFM's.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just for info, there is no "bag" inside the locker... even though it's logical to think that's how it would work.

There is a collar with two O-rings inside. This collar has a brazed line leading to the diff housing, and in turn your air supply. When air passes through the ring, it enters the main chamber in the ARB and pushes a plate forward to engage the locker. This plate has an external seal as well that contacts and slides inside the main body.

So, over 90 PSI blows one (or all) of those O-rings out... and you are done.

I have the ARB 8" Toyota install instructions on PDF. PM me a way to send them to you if you are interested in how they install and what they look like on the inside.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
If you want silent operation, Powertank makes the Jetpack which is just for airlockers.

http://powertank.com/products/productID/141

2x20 oz tanks just for lockers.

that system is very easy to put together yourself, the two Co2 tanks can be picked up pretty much anywhere that sells paintball stuff for like 25 bucks a pop, then you just need to find the correct regulator, also can be bought at a paintball store, some steel braided line, and an on off valve so you can swap bottles without having to lose pressure...hardest part would be finding a similar regulator...