Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a hand-throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone use a hand-throttle?

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...t_Code=33-3040

Its a cheap mod that looks like it might be helpful in
some situations, especially around SW Ohio where all we
have are steep muddy hills that it takes a few tries to get
over. Anyone know anything about them?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a hand throttle in my '85. Use it mainly for winching and welding but have used it when moving a time or two:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...leInstallation

Main time I use it is up a high elevations when your idle speed drops too low. One time were were out on the trail late pulling a burned out Jeep out of the boonies at ~10,000 feet. With all the sitting around idling in the dark with the lights on and what not, was nice to dial up the idle speed to keep the alternator charging.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 05-19-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my bro had a home made one on his '84 that was pretty convenient for when he needed to feather the clutch with his left foot, take care of brakes with the right foot and use the throttle with his hand.

It was an old mountain bike gear selector that was mounted to the shifter.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Yeah I like that this one mounts right on the shifter,
rather than on the dash somewhere. Seems like it would
be more conveinent.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel 4Runners have it stock hehe

I've not found a better pic, you can see it in the left below the steering wheel:

Very useful when winching another people or in river crossings if you get stuck.

David
Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 AM

i have/had one just sold the truck, but i used a brake lever from a mountain bike and cable, mounted to shifter. it is perfect ehn your on a hill, no more rolling backwards why you drop clutch hit gas, hold beake let of clutch gas it with you hand. best mod i ever did, gets you out of sticky situations
Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 AM

I have my manual choke set up to use as a hand throttle, when you pull the choke cable it sets the fast idle cam and I can vary the RPMs up to about 1500, If I pull further it starts to close the choke. I never need to choke it to start or run when cold, so I'm not worried about shifting it when cold. Ex Gf did shift it once when idling high and broke the ring gear, I used that as an excuse to lose the stock gears.
I had a PTO on my FJ40 and used a real throttle like 4crawler has, made winching and driving on the beach real nice.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 AM

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=96736
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM

what is the preferred style/design? Brake lever or shift lever?

or is it more of a personal preference type of thing
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM

I used a bicycle shift lever on my stick to operate the gas pedal via a small bracket I made. It works very well. Since I now have an underhood Powerwelder throttle for welding, my thinking has changed a bit. The problem with the shifter is, if you use it as a third foot, it is usually in a sticky situation where you might want to back off the throttle pretty quickly - easy to have a delay in that, while your finger remembers the hand throttle is set.

A brake lever would provide more sensitive control and be safer IMHO, so I will be swapping to one sometime soon.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Red_Chili
A brake lever would provide more sensitive control and be safer IMHO, so I will be swapping to one sometime soon.
I was kinda thinking the same...thanks Chili
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM

I have a bicycle shifter on my Jeep - mounted on the manual shifter.

I use it mainly for winching and as a 'cruise control' on easier trails. I thought I'd wanna use it for crawling situations - but after I tried it a few times, I didn't like it. While using it - I didn't feel *in control* of the vehicle and couldn't get a good read/feel for the situation/terrain. Did that make sense?

Now - it's almost like you need something with more sensitivity and finer adjustments.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Janster
I have a bicycle shifter on my Jeep - mounted on the manual shifter.

I use it mainly for winching and as a 'cruise control' on easier trails. I thought I'd wanna use it for crawling situations - but after I tried it a few times, I didn't like it. While using it - I didn't feel *in control* of the vehicle and couldn't get a good read/feel for the situation/terrain. Did that make sense?

Now - it's almost like you need something with more sensitivity and finer adjustments.
Janster....was that a "shift" thumb lever or a "hand" brake lever? Seems the hand levers would have a much greater amount of control over the thumb style......The thumb ones can be locked in too...which can be good or bad...I havent decided