Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Need advice here guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice here guys...

Ok here is the deal, I have an '89 X-tra cab yoder, fresh(er) 3.0 V6 about
30k ago or so, 3" lift on 33's, nice interior, everything works, overall truck is in decent shape.

Needs: The clutch plate is torn on the firewall, it needs to be r&r'd, the PS pump is a bit leaky, the brights are twichy when on high beams. Driver's side seat needs replacing due to the rail being wore out as far as the recline gears go. Front bumper and grill needs to be painted due to PO painting over chrome.

I have a friend of mine that wants to trade a 1989 FJ62, that is lifted on 33's.

There was a post on it here is the link:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108...ruiser-106441/

Hopefully that works.

At any rate, the things that the FJ needs so far that I can spot are:

There is a vibration towards the rear of the truck under power, feels like a possible u-joint / rear end. Ring and pinion possible... No real diffy humm at highway speed...

Sounds like it could use a valve adjust.

This morning upon sitting in the Mc'ds drive thru truck seemed to spike in temp, upon some rpm's it cooled back down, possibly a tad low on H2O, or a bad fan clutch? I am not even aware if they have one, I am new to the Straight 6, at least from Toyota.

there are creaks from the front end upon rotation of steering wheel, but I am told that is a bearing kit in the front that will help correct alignment as well.

Engine is a fresh EFT, with a fresh tranny a while back as you can see in the link. I don't hear any manifold leaks as I know this is an inherit problem to watch for and can cost $$.

The speedo is not working, which is apparently the gauge itself, easily fixed with GPS, but still...

Windows are slow, nothing lithium greast won't help I am sure.

Seems underpowered, but I hear that with almost every FJ that has the 6, unless you get into the 90's. I know the MPG is not that great, but neither was my truck... I think that it could use a regearing personally...

Front window is a but leaky, but nothing a reset won't cure, rust seems ok for the age of the cruiser. Damn water drops from the drivers Oh Crap handle onto your damn knee.

So, the age old question, what is the general consensus on the trade?

Both trucks need TLC here and there, and a good landcruiser is hard to find unless you want to shell out some $$. I do think that the cruiser needs a bit more TLC, but a Cruiser is also more desireable than an x-tra cab. My main concerns are the rear end vibration, and speedo. The miles stopped at 210k by the way, but I am not really that concerned about it as the engine and tranny are reborn.

Please chime in here and give me your thoughts, I love cruisers, but am unfamiliar with what to look for as far as a huge no-no.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, and please let me know if that link is not working...

~Brian
Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Huh.

I have worked on and wheeled with that rig and it always seemed pretty solid. My guess is that the rear end vibe is a u joint, but crawl under it and see for yourself. Everything else seems minor for an almost 20 year old rig.

I'd say go for it.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the post!

It seems like a solid FJ, they are all going to have issues as ANY 200k plus nearly 20 year old rig will have, and I have the ability to fix things...

I enjoy tinkering with a toy, just don't want to have to. But, refer to above paragraph...

The vibration has that U-Joint feel to it, only upon administration of power does it present itself, if you let off the gas and coast, no vibration. It also seems to get stronger as the speed gets higher.

I crawled under the rig with no load on the d-line, in neutral, e- brake on and shook the upper and lower.

Now granted, I didn't yard on it real hard, and I was grabbing it from the side where the d-line is closest, but l felt no obvious play...

Possible carrier issues? There is a bit of play in the yoke of the third member. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the direction, I plan on getting under the truck this weekend and taking a look a bit closer.

Have a great day, and hey, you said that you personally have twisted a wrench on 'er?

~Brian

Last edited by SmokedYoder; 12-19-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I helped Adam with the caster shims, and we were planning to do the tranny R&R in my shop, but ran out of time.

The vibe sounds like it could be in the diff, but it also sounds like it could be a balance problem......

You might search through the 60 series tech on Ih8mud.com. You'll find a lot of info there.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks!

I believe that the tranny was redone, at least that is what I am told...

In speaking with a friend of mine that is really into FJ's locally and has his own shop, he is thinking that the departure angle out of the Xfer case is contributing to the top joint being out of wack, he had the same problem with his and knows of a fix that he rattled off...

He said that this can be a common problem with a non-spring over lift..?

I spoke with Adam, he said that he remembers that vibration and said that he looked into the diffy and things looked good, but who knows. I am hoping that it is not the diffy or I may have problems with the deal.

Over all that is the only major thing that I can find on a good note...

Other than the fact that the speedo is out of it which according to Adam, was the actual unit and not a cable.

The engine is fresh, so THAT is good.

~Brian