Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

97 LC, 97 Lexus vs 05+ 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
97 LC, 97 Lexus vs 05+ 4runner

Doing some shopping for the new rig and was dead set on an 05 or newer 4runner limited, until I did two things.

1) I began pricing them
2) I found the Overland Journal and Expedition Portal

So things have changed (sort of) and now I'm asking questions here.

Ok in doing my research I've just about ruled out the 05+ 4runner, 15-20K and up is a tad more than I can handle this year. Also in looking at the web sites in number 2 above I read an article that listed the top 10 "overlanding" vehicles ever (from 1990-present year models) and the 100 series LC was number 1 with the 80 series LC number 3, considering that almost every other continent on the planet has decided that the LC is one of the toughest rigs ever built also solidified my decisions to go this route.

I'll explain the thought processes that went into this, then ask some questions and hope for some answers. I'll begin digging through this forum after I post this to hopefully gain some more insight.

Alright I've already done one build, at least twice, that was all trial and error.... and too much money in the middle. My 89 4runner is fun but has outlived it's usefulness. Time for something with 4 doors and some creature comforts.

My lady and I like camping alot and we want to camp in places that are hard to get into.... like South America for instance. We have discussed what rig to use and what we want and have decided on a few things.

1) Modern electronics are a must have. We'll add in GPS/CB/HAM etc but we need a good wiring base to start with.
2) Leather since it is easier to keep clean than cloth, is more durable and is available with heated seats. Seat covers will most likely go on in the summer to save my blistered butt.
3) 4wd is a must as well and it has to be strong and as maintenance free as possible.
4) Solid front axle, yes I know the IFS is great and I love mine to death but SFA is the direction we're heading next.
5) Shift on the fly ability so I don't have to get out in 2 feet of water to lock in some hubs or leave them locked all the time at rat out the boots.
6) Factory lockers would be great just as long as they WORK. I'm unsure about the Land Cruiser lockers yet and will be doing some research.
7) If factory lockers are not available or worth a darn we need the ability to install a pair of ARB lockers, so they must be available for the vehicle we choose.
8) Load bearing and carrying capacity. Roof rack, ample storage etc.
9) 4 doors. I'm tired of a 2 door rig.... really tired.
10) World wide support for parts.
11) We'll be camping in the back on the mattress I used in my 89 (truckbedz) until I can afford a roof top tent so it needs to have some room back there for sleeping. I.E. fold down seats in the rear.

Having said all that we're looking at 1997 Land Cruisers or 1997 Lexus (see below for examples).

http://boiseidfjz80collectorsedition...com/pictures/8 This one is being sold for 11K and is well within budget since it already has the armor/lift/tires I want.

http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/2761339418.html This one is 9K and also within budget since I can use the remaining money for lift/armor/etc.

If you've read all that then you hopefully will be able to answer some questions.

1) How good are the factory lockers? Are they actual lockers or some sort of limited slip garbage.
2) The LC has an inline 6 cylinder, any known issues? Worth a damn as far as hp/torque goes? Will it drive down the highway at 80 with a loaded truck wrapped around it?
2) Auto tranny? I really want an auto this time around and need to know if the one in the 80 series is worth a damn.

That's probably it for now, I'm sure I'll have more in a few days.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is MPG a factor? FJ80s are rated at 16 mpg HWY stock... just sayin.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Is MPG a factor? FJ80s are rated at 16 mpg HWY stock... just sayin.
My 89 is getting 13 or less right now so 16 would be a step up. Regearing for larger tires is also an option to help some of that.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, but your 4runner isnt stock.
Add larger tires (more air drag, rolling resistance, weight) then armor all around... Even if you regear, its still going to weigh more. Land Cruisers weigh a lot to begin with...

I'm not trying to dissuade you. Just giving you more to think about. I would love to have an FJ80 :\
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Yes, but your 4runner isnt stock.
Add larger tires (more air drag, rolling resistance, weight) then armor all around... Even if you regear, its still going to weigh more. Land Cruisers weigh a lot to begin with...

I'm not trying to dissuade you. Just giving you more to think about. I would love to have an FJ80 :\
Good point, thank you.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I love my Hundy. If you're looking for MPGs, stay 4runner as the 80 and 100 both get low teens hwy. For all else, go Land Cruiser all the way.

I still think the 80 is the best cruiser and that I WILL own one someday - but for the added tech of the newer model how can you not factor that in? Way I see it is might as well get the Hundy now to pleas the wife for a few years. By the time she's done with it there will be a SAS kit on the market and then the 100 series will be the better cruiser hands down. Regardless I still plan to get myself an 80 someday and chop the top like a 1st gen 4runner for a "his" rig
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Yeah we looked at the 100 series and she was more interested in the SFA on the 80's. Of course there is always the option of the 105 but I don't think I can find one here. LOL!!!

Meh everything I've read about the IFS in the 100's says to stay away from them if you plan anything serious. Not to say they don't hold up but we're honestly planning a trip as far down south as we can get in a few years. I'll need at least three years to learn the rig and get it outfitted for what we need/want. Right now it's better money spent to get one that is SFA from the factory.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Yeah we looked at the 100 series and she was more interested in the SFA on the 80's. Of course there is always the option of the 105 but I don't think I can find one here. LOL!!!

Meh everything I've read about the IFS in the 100's says to stay away from them if you plan anything serious. Not to say they don't hold up but we're honestly planning a trip as far down south as we can get in a few years. I'll need at least three years to learn the rig and get it outfitted for what we need/want. Right now it's better money spent to get one that is SFA from the factory.
The 100 series front suspension can be beefed up quite a bit with new UCA and torsion bars. They are nice and pretty good off road, but nothing will compare to the 80 series LC. Those are my favorite and they will go anywhere. There was some that came from the factory with F/FR lockers, but there hard to find. ARB's would be my choice anyways for a locker anyways...

But, if I had to choose based on your criteria, I would go with the 100 series due to the motor and how nice it drives and creature comfort.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, the 100 series ifs is pretty strong and can be beefed up. Right now you don't see too much stuff for them because nobody could afford to tear into a $70k vehicle - but now they are affordable and the aftermarket has really jumped these past 2yrs. You may find yourself spending more on a nice 97 than you would a 98-99 100 series, which will give you something to consider as well. You should check out some of the builds over on Ih8mud. There are a few SAS hundys and plenty of 80s to see. Slee offroad also had pics of their projects.

80 series is still awesome but if I were looking for a DD then go 100. For specialty/fun rig go 80. Personally I'd get the best one you can afford now, then when it's paid off go buy the other which will be much cheaper at that time and you'll be set.

As for your 4runner consideration, I would personally go with a 2002 trd since its pretty much the last year of the old body with all the good options - or I'd go with a new trail edition. Then again a 4runner is no Land Cruiser...which I consider Toyotas flagship vehicle.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
one of my good friends ( he's banned from Yotatech ) has a 94 Landcruiser that is fully loaded, leather and has the electric lockers with over 300k miles on it with zero issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as a family rig. Its better than driving a mini van. :/ lol I would definitely go with a 94-97 LC or LX450.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I'm looking into getting an LC as well.... SA and dual lockers
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I'm looking into getting an LC as well.... SA and dual lockers
Didn't you just buy a new 4runner for your wife? Man I need your paycheck.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Didn't you just buy a new 4runner for your wife? Man I need your paycheck.
Actually the wife bought it with her own money. Hell I wasn't even in the country! We've had it since '05
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the advice and help folks. I'll look into the 100 series this weekend and talk to my lady about not having an SFA rig. *laugh* She's such an offroad freak.

I took a look at ARB's site to price some lockers and it's looking like >1000$ per locker no matter if I go with an 80 or 100. Hmmm factory lockers are looking better and better.

Update: We've decided on a 100 series either 2000 or 2001 year model after reading through this http://forum.ih8mud.com/az-arizona-l...hn-shotts.html. Since we're not into rock crawling anymore I don't think the IFS is going to be a huge issue, that and she likes a newer vehicle even if it doesn't come with factory lockers. We can always add in the lockers later and have already found the bumpers/sliders that we want. So now the search begins for one that we can afford. Once bought we'll wheel it and camp out of it for a while and add pieces as we get money in the slush fund.

Last edited by Junkers88; 01-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the newer 100's are much nicer for a female especially. a little more "creature comfort" hey! I'm not calling the wife a creature either!