Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

69 FJ40 - To Be Or Not To Be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69 FJ40 - To Be Or Not To Be?

I'm going to be looking at a 69 FJ40 probably next week and got a lot of the basic info from the guy selling it. Its about $1000 with a rebuilt 350 V8 (last year). He's sent me countless photos of the FJ and the body is in good condition with some rusty areas in the back but still very solid. The interior needs some reupholstering but otherwise not bad as well.

An old FJ40, its pretty awesome; so chances are I'll be taking it unless it seems overwhelming after I take a look at it. But before I head out to look at it, came up with a few questions to see everyones take on it.

First: Conversion from 3 speed to 4. Conversion kits, are there any notable ones for this vehicle? OR How is compatibility from other 4 speed vehicles out there? Has anyone done this conversion before and what did you do?

Second: How are parts for these vehicles? Mechanically its much simpler to figure out than my 4runner was, but how's the market look for parts? I'm also assuming that interchangeability is pretty decent for them?

Third: Any other people on here with FJ40s that I can keep in contact with in case I need a second opinion or expertise? I'm pretty good mechanically and figure things out fairly decently, but I'm pretty young so I lack the overall experience in some ways.

Chances are, I'll being getting this bad boy, its too much of awesome for me to pass off.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you think it's nice solid platform, and you want it then why buy it? i would strongly suggest you sign up over at iH8MUD.com since it's the Land Cruiser board and you will find hundreds of FJ40 guys willing to help you out with your questions.

parts are still available for these rigs no problem, thanks to all the Cruiser fans out there who've kept them as a popular rig, and made a demand for parts to keep 'em on the road/trails. heck, you can even buy new body panels/tubs for them these days! also, there's probably not a whole lot of stock stuff you'll be wanting to install on this rig as you make replacements, just because aftermarket can usually be superior to the stock part (unless you're restoring).

As for the 3 to 4spd conversion....the FJ40 did not come with a V8 and many people simply swap in a GM engine and trans into the rig since the rigs are so simple - I would guess that this is what they did and you most likely have some GM trans behind it, like a 700r4, but who knows what they installed until you ask the seller or see it yourself.

Good luck! I hope to own a 40 myself someday...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You would have to be more specific on trans type to find out where they converted to Toy parts. Is it a 4spd from a later model Cruiser? Or a SM 420 or 465? Then is it the stock transfer case? Advance adapters has the most common kits for conversions. But there are some Aussie ones as well.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, did you buy it?

I can't help you with the first question. RE: parts, most everything can be found. Since I acquired my '69, I've bought from FJParts (fjparts.com), Specter Off-Road (sor.com), and believe it or not, my local Toyota dealer. If you get lucky and get a nice parts guy at the dealership, one who is happy to search and research for you, you've got a friend.

As a '69 owner (mine is stock), feel free to contact me. I'm happy to share my limited knowledge. And like highonpottery said, ih8mud is THE place.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4my, you should also try CruiserOutfitters.com. Kurt is a good friend of mine and a helluva guy. True Cruiserhead.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, rok. I'll check it out.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I set it up to go and take a look, but when I got there, I found out the guy didn't have a title for it! Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed and didn't get to take her home... But on the bright side, I'm driving way out into the mountains this weekend to look another one, its a 72 and from the pictures it looks like its in amazing shape and still under $2000! If all goes well, pics will come soon