Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why no more manual transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manioca35
at the risk of sounding dumb - I don't really mind my auto as much as I thought I would. The ECT makes a HUGE difference climbing into the mountains and passing. The main problem I have is lack of fine control on engine braking during descents. Certainly a manual would be nice, but it certainly does NOT turn the thing into a soccer mom, crap-mobile!

I don't think it was meant to say that. I think all that is being said is that the cars are turning into soccer mom ideal cars, and therefore the features are being modified and created in their image. It doesn't mean its a crap-mobile in any sense, usually soccer moms are pretty stylish in their limited soccermom-mobiles with all the options, but it is true that due to marketing and target marketing specifically, it was more efficient for car manufacturers to fade out the manual.

Ofcourse, I drive a 5-speed 94 runner, and I'm not happy about this. I'll either be seeking a very nice 2000 (the last 5 speed year right?) that fits my needs.

Still, if the companies are segmenting markets and trying to get more specifically into the buyers heads, they're trying to make you the car you want. As we lose manuals and a percentage of Toyota enthusiasts (however large or small it may be) might switch over to other possible vehicles (sadly), The Xterra, Jeep Rubicon, Wrangler, etc. then Toyota is going to lose market share and surely they'll come up with some purely offroad vehicle in return. Toyota right now has no SUV vehicles in stick I believe. So hopefully either the FJ-40 cruiser will come out once again like promised, or maybe an americanized version of the foreign landcruisers... because Toyota Offroading is obvioulsy an important market segment economically and for bragging rights, I doubt they do it in by just sitting around.

Last edited by 94yotarunner; 11-01-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i will never own an automatic in a truck, ever, period.
I will never own an automatic period... end of thought.

Step 1) Right now, in college, I own a 94 runner.
Step 2)Coming out of college I'm buying a decent car, nothing fancy but something with a nice engine good speed sporty type car. It must be stick... and I'll be keeping my runner for the trails.
Step 3)Then, down the line, I figure I'll just end up moving out of the US and ordering myself a brand new gorgeous Landcruiser 5 speed
http://www.toyota.com.ve/showroom/la..._70/index.html
(middle one on the bottom, or even the left one rigged up)(oops I wet myself)....
http://www.4x4.co.jp/parts/img/lc701/lc7017.jpg
Here is she is smiling...

and then I dig a deep hole, bury my love, mourn for a day and then repeat step 3 until the end of my life. Its that easy... lol.

Last edited by 94yotarunner; 11-01-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 PM

It doesn't look like anyone has driven the new Honda Ridgeline. Dude. Freakin' awesome with the Continuously Variable Transmission... The thing feels like its on steroids when you give it some gas, passing on the freeway was way too easy. I drove one down for a friend from Detroit to NC where I picked up the celica. So I had pleanty of time to play around with it. It had a sweet stock stereo and a very smooth quiet ride. I was VERY impressed. The friend is a Ford man, and was just going to get a new F150 as his father did. Wife pushed for him to at least test-drive the honda. Now its his baby. Also is anyone else able to pull 80mph @ 2,000k RPM's - If so please tell me what to do. I know it can be done its just if its practicle or not. I wouldn't mind doing that on my 5speed '81 celica - would be nice to cruise like that.

Last edited by biggadfly; 01-17-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering why you sold such a rare vehicle? (2000 4Runner 5-speed) I really wanted to buy a new vehicle this time around but couldn't bring myself to like the auto trans. I ended up buying exactly what you just sold.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Is there a 5speed in the new FJ? Maybe the 4runner is just too much soccer mom bling for a 5speed anymore and if you want a 5sp SUV, FJ.

You would have a hard time to get me to wheel a $40k 4runner, Might scratch it or something, or get mud on it. I'm surprised it still has a solid rear axle.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 AM

The Fj-cruiser will be available with a 6sp manual.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by biggadfly
It doesn't look like anyone has driven the new Honda Ridgeline. Dude. Freakin' awesome with the Continuously Variable Transmission... The thing feels like its on steroids when you give it some gas, passing on the freeway was way too easy. I drove one down for a friend from Detroit to NC where I picked up the celica. So I had pleanty of time to play around with it. It had a sweet stock stereo and a very smooth quiet ride. I was VERY impressed. The friend is a Ford man, and was just going to get a new F150 as his father did. Wife pushed for him to at least test-drive the honda. Now its his baby. Also is anyone else able to pull 80mph @ 2,000k RPM's - If so please tell me what to do. I know it can be done its just if its practicle or not. I wouldn't mind doing that on my 5speed '81 celica - would be nice to cruise like that.

I'm not sure I understand you.
First - no I have not nor will I ever test drive a Ridgeline. But I do know the CVTs are pretty neat. I'd be curious to see how durable they are and how much they might cost to overhaul (and will anyone besides the STealer do it?)
Cruising 80mph at 2000rpm? Actually, my 5.4liter F150 does lss than that -it turns 1600 ish at 75. And goes up hills without needing to downshift at that rpm too. Very nice motor, but I HATE the auto trans....
Old 01-19-2006, 04:40 PM

no manual trannys,no manual hubs,no manual door locks,no manual window, keyless trunk, cruise control, steering wheel radio controls, push button 4wheel drive(yuck). i think you can drive a vehicle these days for 5 hours and maybe burn one calorie. plus i think the addition of these things makes for much more careless drivers. most people i know who drive manual transmissions are much better drivers than those who have only drove autos their whole lives(dont have to concentrate on the road as much)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM

old thread....

It still seems like we are loosing more and more manuals in the cars and trucks we drive. I think we are a dieing breed in the US.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On HUGE reason not mentioned - the need for a SECOND EPA cert for the manual.

Esp since manuals dont sell very well - thats alot of $ for not alot more sales.

IMHO they push the 4Runner manual types towards the FJ (more 'core off road image)
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM

*sigh* well guys. i had a 94 yota pickup, 5spd, 22-re engine. it was awesome, i loved it, i loved the manual tranny, i loved being in charge, i loved driving.

now, sadly, ive got a 2004 taco pre-runner with the 3.4L v6, but.. its an auto. i wish beyond wishing it was a manual, but its not. its not as much fun to drive, but its still great. its got the automatic windows, and the doors, and etc etc, and i do miss my manual. i rly do. but if ever comes the day when i have teh money and time to do it, i'll swap it. it can be fixed.

personally, i thnik every single vehicle should be equipped with a manual transmission. this would clean up teh road a lot. people might actually start to drive, instead of sit and do other things while riding along in a vehicle that they just happen to be steering.

lets start a protest. lol
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Not to hijack the thread but, for the same reason they dumped Diesels in the 80's, not enough interest.

But the interest in Diesels, [ fuel mileage ] has Toyota thinking again.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM

i had heard they were planning on a new diesel. should be interesting. id think there would be a big intrest if they came out with a 4wd diesel with a manual tranny.

eh? lol.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dijlop
i had heard they were planning on a new diesel. should be interesting. id think there would be a big intrest if they came out with a 4wd diesel with a manual tranny.

eh? lol.
thats a beautiful dream
Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM

yea. its certainly possibly for it to happen right now if you wanted it that bad. but if toyota offered one of those purty new tacos with a diesel engine, 4wd, arb lockers front and rear, manual tranny, and a sfa, the off-road world would go crazy. am i right?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by cvlighthouse
I think it has to do with the downhill assist. A computer controlled engine braking vehicle will not let you take over the stick and shift into a wrong gear or drop the clutch in a sketchy situation. In other words, cars are smart, people are stupid. The automatic transmission assisted by computer will get the average driver to the bottom of the hill better than a stick. Try switching the auto tranny into neutral and bomb down a steep muddy hill. Once you hit the brakes your sliding out of control.
In other words vehicles with

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) + Traction Control
Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
Downhill Assist Control (DAC) (4WD models)

I would assume they all need to have the the auto transmission to function and thats precisely why the 4runner comes in only automatic. See here:
http://www.toyota.com/html/movingfor.../traction.html

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/...slip_diff.html

but if toyota offered one of those purty new tacos with a diesel engine, 4wd, arb lockers front and rear, manual tranny, and a sfa, the off-road world would go crazy. am i right?
Except for some of the options mentioned above, I sure would like to import these into the USA:

http://www.toyota.cl/modelos/imagenes.asp?fId=17#