Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Uniball adapter separating from spindle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uniball adapter separating from spindle?

I've had problems with my steering wheel lining up since I put on my TC kit, and have since had 2 alignment done to correct my steering wheel position and have installed new poly steering rack bushings (thanks Eric!) before that last alignment.

When I hit a bump with my passenger side front tire, if it's a noticeable pothole my steering wheel jumps about 30* to the left but my tires keep pointed straight. It is still driveable IMO. If I park it with the wheels pointed straight and do something for a bit, my steering wheel is normal until I hit that one pothole near my apartment that makes my steering wheel go screwy.

I originally posted this on TTORA because they have a lot more guys over there running Long Travel and well, I found this when I looked at my uniball adapters.

Driver side

Passenger side (bad side)

I know that the last pic is kinda blurry, but you can see that the adapter has worked its way out of the spindle about 1/4". I tried tightening down the uniball to see if it was loose on the spindle to no noticeable change. The spindle has no cracks in it and the retaining clip looks like it's still there doing its job.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hard to see in that picture , what your problem is.....

Is the adaptor that is pressed into the spindle with the C-clip loose?

or is it the sleeve that's between the Uniball and adaptor slug loose?

if it's the latter;

The bolt will only tighten down so far before it runs out of threads, try adding a washer to see if it'll tighten up. If it's been this way for a while, parts can be worn to the point where they need replacement, if you have the time during the week, stop by Total Chaos and let them look at it.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:12 AM

Ryan i ve heard of problems with those, Rojodiablo on ttora welded his in, though they were just the aftermarket upper A arms non LT...search over there maybe
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

OK....everything seems to be fixed. The creaking coming from my driver's side wheel well was from a Uniball on its way out. I didn't replace it, but I did steam clean all the dirt on the top and bottom and so far, no more creaking.

I put the truck up on a lift and did the check for bad TRE's by gripping the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and there was no play other than what the locked steering would allow. I took out my steering shaft extension for my bodylift, undid the rag joint nut on top and slid it down as far as I could to look for any sign that the splines were stripped, finding no metal shavings and all the paint on the splines.

My steering wheel isn't acting weird anymore and no more creaking so I'm gonna call it good. And find a place that has graphite powder and put a little on that uniball.

Many thanks to Corey and Bruce for working through this problem with me.