Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Sun Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun Damage?

OK, I've been worrying about this for a while, and I figured I would come to this forum for advice.

As you can all relate, I'm very protective of my runner, as I've only had it a month (4th gen Limited). I live in New Mexico, and I'm worried about it getting damaged by the sun in the summer. Anyone in the southwest knows how brutal our summers can get. As protective as I am, I have no choice but to leave it outside all day, everyday. Is this going to cause damage to my truck? What do I need to do to prevent any damage? What do the other people that are in the southwest do when your truck has to sit outside in the horrible heat and sun?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just keep a good coat of wax on the outside, but for the INSIDE...

If you are worried about interior fading, just get some of these:

http://autosunshields.com/manu/toyot...a_4runner.html

I did this in the summer and never made a post. I was reading another thread about people worrying about fading, and then thought about what I did.

I took the measurements and sent them to this company. The are now selling them and also for the 4Runner (not sure if the 4th gens are out yet). I got the red bindings to match the interior (you can get any color) and a waterproof bag that says "s2000" on it. I like the fact the windshield uses TWO pieces instead of one big one. This makes it much easier to put on. The side window pieces are great too.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

I protect my interior by using a UVS 100 Heat Shield

It is custom cut specifically for the 4Runner and does have a case I purchased from them seperatly. Click the pic for a full sized shot.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Like the others said, keep a good coat of wax on it. Dont worry, I live in PHX and haven't had a problem with sunfade. Of course, I am a avid waxer/polisher. Oh, and I use Turtle Wax Extreme, or Turtle Wax Medallion Series, and a polisher to take it off.

A clay bar and Mothers showroom shine spray works awesome to get out existing crud in your paint. (I used to detail cars, and clay bars are where its at!)
Old 02-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Hey kronicx,

I'm in Albuquerque and have been fighting the UV battle for years.

My last three vehicles were outside 24/7 in the New Mexico sun.

I've learned a lot of good info from members here at Yotatech especially Corey in regards to wax/polish and general exterior maintenance.

I don't use carnuba based waxes anymore because they will burn off in about 2 weeks especially in summer. I have now made the switch to a polymer based polish which will last about 6 months in the New Mexico climate.

I'm currently using polish from Zaino Bros' .

It's a pain to order since they don't have online services but it's fast. Print out the order form and snail mail it and a check and your package is at your door in a week.

For starters I recommend the Z1, Z2, Z6 and I like their tire gloss Z16. I also use Z5, Z10 for my dash/interior, Z7 wash and just used the ZFX for the first time.

I have also invested in a PC (Porter Cable Random Orbital Sander) to use with 3M Swirl Mark Remover and other buffing applications.

The PC is also well know as the "Corey Cable" and I expect him to come along shortly. Do check out his link for polishing. He uses Griot's products which are carnuba based but he lives in the North West where the sun doesn't burn everything up.

Also for auto detailing info the Autopia Forums are an excellent source. Another link from Corey.

What color is your Truck?????

Paul

Last edited by ALBPM; 02-27-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have anything to offer to thread, kronicx, I just wanted to say hello to another New Mexican!

How's it going, Paul. I'm gonna jump on the Zainos as soon as it warms up a little. Good reply, I didn't know there was such a difference in polymer vs. carnuba waxes.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Jayson !!

I've tried all kinds of over the counter brands.

I used to use Nu Finish on my 93 white 4-Runner and that held up for about 6 months. But now I have a gold/clearcoat color and the Nu Finish is slightly abrasive and I don't want to polish off the clearcoat.

After giving myself an INFO Overload Headache (IOH) from all my research :pat: I ended up trying the Zainos polish and really liked it. It's easy to use and looks great.

The other good thing is to stock up on Micro Fiber towels to use for polishing. I got mine from Pak Shak

Paul
Old 02-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

As you know, my 4Runner is red, and it has all kinds of water spots on it. An to make things worse, my wives truck is black. After reading your input and some of the other testamonials about how good the Zaino's is for these colors, I'm gonna give it a try. The micro fiber towels look like a good deal too. So, which product(s) do you use with the Corey-Cable? Just the 3M swirl remover? Also, which pads did you decide to use with it? I see that Lowe's still has the 'Cable for about $110. I better quit before I get an IOH myself, LOL!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by ALBPM
I have also invested in a PC (Porter Cable Random Orbital Sander) to use with 3M Swirl Mark Remover and other buffing applications.

The PC is also well know as the "Corey Cable" and I expect him to come along shortly. Do check out his link for polishing. He uses Griot's products which are carnuba based but he lives in the North West where the sun doesn't burn everything up.

Also for auto detailing info the Autopia Forums are an excellent source. Another link from Corey.

What color is your Truck?????

Paul
Make sure you get the special edition model if you buy a PC

I have very good luck with the PC and the products I use.
I also have a white rig and plan on sticking with what I use.

I have heard nothing but good about the Zaino for dark colored vehicles, and I bet it works great on light colored ones too.

That Autotopia forum is a wealth of info over there.
Most products are covered from what brand of Clay bar works the best right down to the mist to use for it.

One thing that keeps me using the stuff I use is the longevity of it.
My rig was last waxed

May 11th of last year.

That's almost a year, and the rig is still shining despite the layers of dirt on it, and the rain droplets are dime sized which means the wax is doing it's thing.

The important thing to do is prep the surface before you wax it by stripping off the old with Dawn dish detergent.

Then clay it real good to get all the microscopic specs off of the paint so the polish & wax will have something to adhere too.

Oh, and those microfiber towels are the bomb.
I only have the one for drying down the rig, and it works great.

For more info see my detail site in the sig below.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

LOL.....

I got my pads and velcro backing plate from ProperAutoCare

I got some of the yellow, white and gray pads to try out. So far I have just used the yellow pad with 3M SMR on my wife's white Tacoma. There is also the 3M Finesse-It II machine polish to use with the PC.

The 3M SMR is good for clearcoat to get rid of swirls and water stains and can be used a couple times a year if needed.

Pep Boyz has the 3M SMR and Finesse-It cheaper than any internet site I've seen.

Here's a good PC accessory Link: The Definitive Porter Cable Accessorizing Thread

It's good for another "IOH"