Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good point.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by callmej75
I second that
I third that. or even get a can with a nossel the will fit in the filler neck. we use one like this http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...i?product=fuel and it works great.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

I think he said the whole I know its dangerous blah blah blah...because if you notice every thread on this entire forum we wont answer the question. He was probably trying just to get a straight answer.

Someone ask about lockers and people tell him to save his money and goto college.

Its kinda comical....

I did a donut, is my truck ok? You shouldnt be doing donuts, when I was your age blah blah...

Thats why I try to answer question on this forum. But I usually go else where to ask question...
Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
If we must split hairs you didn't say "siphon" you said, "I know it's a bad idea to pump gas into a gas can from the pump at the gas station because of static electricity."

Thus my response, "It's fine to pump gas into a gas can as long as the can is on the ground."

Pumping gas from a "gas pump" at a "gas station" is a funny way of saying siphon.
I am not siphoning at the gas station.

I have a 300 mile range with a full tank. I wanted some more range. I got a Blitz 5 gallon gas can and filled that at the gas station with the can on the ground.

I am about to get low on gas as it is over 300 miles now, so I need to put some gas from my Blitz can into my tank. The Blitz can has a nozzle, however I cannot get all the fuel into my tank.

So I thought siphoning the gas from the Blitz can into my tank out there in the middle of nowhere would work better than trying to pour it in.

Most gas stations I have ever been to have warning signs stating not to pump gas into portable containers while they are in the vehicle. I followed their advice, and placed my Blitz can on the ground so that the static charge would not build up.

My question was if I needed to be concerned with static while siphoning from the Blitz can into my tank. Should I put the tank on my fiberglass tonneau cover? Should I put it in the bed of my truck which is Herculined and has a rubber bedmat? Should I hold the 30 lb Blitz can in my hand and siphon with the other hand? I guess you have answered that.

Last edited by Glenn; 06-24-2005 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

As long as your not stealing wireless internet, you should be fine.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am not siphoning at the gas station.

I have a 300 mile range with a full tank. I wanted some more range. I got a Blitz 5 gallon gas can and filled that at the gas station with the can on the ground.

I am about to get low on gas as it is over 300 miles now, so I need to put some gas from my Blitz can into my tank. The Blitz can has a nozzle, however I cannot get all the fuel into my tank.

So I thought siphoning the gas from the Blitz can into my tank out there in the middle of nowhere would work better than trying to pour it in.

Most gas stations I have ever been to have warning signs stating not to pump gas into portable containers while they are in the vehicle. I followed their advice, and placed my Blitz can on the ground so that the static charge would not build up.

My question was if I needed to be concerned with static while siphoning from the Blitz can into my tank. Should I put the tank on my fiberglass tonneau cover? Should I put it in the bed of my truck which is Herculined and has a rubber bedmat? Should I hold the 30 lb Blitz can in my hand and siphon with the other hand? I guess you have answered that.
ugh....i posted a answer to your question...a few post ago...

its really up too you, there isnt going to be much danger from siphoning while its in the bed...as long as the can is above the tank it will siphon...

however you mention tonneau cover. I would be leary about keeping gas in a closed bed while offroading. From the gas station home you'll be fine, but with all the bouncing around during offroading I would be afraid of the container opening and spilling and the area would fill with fumes. Even though its unlikely there will be sort of spark in there I wouldnt risk it.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Save the gas for the lawn mower and fill the truck at the pump.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rugerm44
Save the gas for the lawn mower and fill the truck at the pump.
this wont give him the extra range offroad...
Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heh heh, ok ok, I think Glenn gets the idea.

Glenn, I'm sorry the thread got off topic, but it happens to almost all message boards...it's the nature of the beast. We moderators could crack down like nazis but then the board feels over moderated. A miata forum is like that and it doesn't feel fun over there.

But just curious, why not just use a nozzle or get one of the good jerry cans that don't leak but empty quick?