Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Retrofitted a 1Gen Runner Top to my Trekker

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
So winnebage made the top removable. cool just like a runner minus the roll bar. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks again for pics.

Definitely a timecapsule
Yes, the original topper was fiberglass and similiar to the first gen runner tops but with a different window scheme.

I'll keep you guys posted when theres a worthy upgrade. Working the interior and 3" Downey lift springs are on the short list.

Jutty
Old 02-09-2005, 03:31 AM

Now that's cool!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ETN4runner
I had a chance to buy a 78 yota pickup that wolverine had converted into a 4wd for a grand but im pretty sure that it had like a d30 or 35 axle under the front of it and i wanted something stouter to wheel with.
well for stock it'd probably be fine, if you put any work into it i don't think it would be hard to convert to toyota axles. the d20 transfer case they used is stout but doesn't have the greatest lo range
Old 02-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I'll post here rather than start a new thread. I've been seeing a Trekker around lately that appears to be in very nice original condition. I searched and it seems others have too and there is just almost nothing out there, and not one single pic of an original interior.

If this guy would let me photograph his Trekker, assuming I see it again, can anyone think of a suitable site that would like the pictures to add to the Accumulated Yota History Archive?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
I'll post here rather than start a new thread. I've been seeing a Trekker around lately that appears to be in very nice original condition. I searched and it seems others have too and there is just almost nothing out there, and not one single pic of an original interior.

If this guy would let me photograph his Trekker, assuming I see it again, can anyone think of a suitable site that would like the pictures to add to the Accumulated Yota History Archive?
I would be interested in seeing them for sure. I know my dash is original and I know the trekker came with the SR5 package.

There's a page over on Toyota Offroad about the history of the trekker, but like one guy told me, "they are as rare as rocking horse poop".

It would be cool, to get one started here? I would host the pics on my club site, I'm kinda putting together a "Trekker" pages with all the facts and info I can find.

Good eye though, you have my curiosity. I've heard rumor there are about 300 or so left. Hard to verify, but you never know.

Jutty
Old 02-22-2005, 07:17 AM

They were fairly popular around here, but Toyota 4x4s have always been REALLY popular here. I see them now and then, but most are pretty beat up by now. The one I'm talking about is very nice - it appears all original and in much better than average condition. Next time I see it I'll talk to the guy and see if he'll let me take some pics.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 82trekker
Yeah, the Trekker is pre-4runner. It's basically a highly modified pickup/suv. According to what Ive found Toyota sent 1200 trucks to Winnebago and they modified them into the Trekker. It has a completely fiberglass rear end and was issued a serial number from Winnebago and it's located under the steering wheel.

Of the 1200 made in 82/83 about 25 went to Saudi Arabia and the rest were sold primarily in CO and CA

Jutty
That's sort of funny. First time I'd ever heard of Trekker was in a class where my professor had brought a lemon law suit in CA on behalf of the owner of the Trekker. It leaked really badly in the rain and Toyota and Winnebago never could get it to seal up. Apparently many of them had this problem. I'd love to see one in person though, in original condition. heh
Old 02-22-2005, 01:28 PM

Just out of curious, but what color is the trekker you keep seeing? I just put 2 and 2 together and there is a guy on a board I check every once in a while with a 83 that has had it for 8 years and lives in that neck of the woods.

Yeah, leaking was a problem I heard too. I can kinda see why, Winnebago put a hoop in for strength in the cab and when I fitted the runner top to it the fit wasn't clean.

Not because it was a runner top, they used some funky lines with the rain gutters and supposed Winnebago thought people would run them topless too. Can't see any other reason for making the cab the way they did.

Obviously, they got sued over it. Thanks for the info, I'm putting together a comprehensive Trekker site on my club's pages.

Jutty,
Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by obscurotron
That's sort of funny. First time I'd ever heard of Trekker was in a class where my professor had brought a lemon law suit in CA on behalf of the owner of the Trekker. It leaked really badly in the rain and Toyota and Winnebago never could get it to seal up. Apparently many of them had this problem. I'd love to see one in person though, in original condition. heh

Yeah, that's what I've always heard about them too.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Just out of curious, but what color is the trekker you keep seeing? I just put 2 and 2 together and there is a guy on a board I check every once in a while with a 83 that has had it for 8 years and lives in that neck of the woods.

Yeah, leaking was a problem I heard too. I can kinda see why, Winnebago put a hoop in for strength in the cab and when I fitted the runner top to it the fit wasn't clean.

Not because it was a runner top, they used some funky lines with the rain gutters and supposed Winnebago thought people would run them topless too. Can't see any other reason for making the cab the way they did.

Obviously, they got sued over it. Thanks for the info, I'm putting together a comprehensive Trekker site on my club's pages.

Jutty,

I think you misunderstood. I just knew about the leaks and the legal action. And I think Toyota got sued in the end, not Winnebago. I'd have to check with my professor. I have never seen one up close and personal, unfortunately. If I did find one, I'd buy it!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm putting together a comprehensive Trekker site on my club's pages.

Jutty,
Crap, if you hadn't *asked* I could remember. Yellow-ish? Kinda baby crap yellow. I think. CRS is getting BAD. It's at Sky's shop when I drive by occasionally. I live about a mile from there.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 AM

Crap, if you hadn't *asked* I could remember. Yellow-ish? Kinda baby crap yellow. I think. CRS is getting BAD. It's at Sky's shop when I drive by occasionally. I live about a mile from there.
I've seen the pics of it. Trying to remember exactly where now. I had a feeling you were gonna say yellowish

The guy goes by 83trekker on a california based board and can't remember the url for the life of me now.

Darnit

Jutty
Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 PM

I found pics of a yellow one, but only a couple of exterior shots.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article...nntrekker2.jpg
Old 02-25-2005, 06:08 AM

I found pics of a yellow one, but only a couple of exterior shots.
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article...nntrekker2.jpg
Nice. I found the board last night that this guy hangs on ( I believe it to be the same person) and shot him a PM.

See if he replies

Jutty