Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NOVA 3vze teardown help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:34 AM
RBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NOVA 3vze teardown help

Hello to everyone! Need your assistance with the teardown and perhaps the assembly of my 3vze engine on my 94 Runner. I am just afraid that I wont be able to get it done before the inclement weather gets here and might cost me a new engine in the near future. It's been pretty slow coming for me to get it going (since April to be exact). Unfortunately, a friend who has been trying to help me off and on has been currently tied up with out-of-town work with FEMA (an emergency disaster agency).

Unfortunately also, I have already taken my rig to the dealer and they wanted $2800 to fix the leaking headgasket, valve cover and oil cooler seals. This is the 2nd time for the headgaskets need replacing due to a leak (1st one was from the Toyota service bulletin campaign). I have not experienced any overheating problems that I am aware off in the past so I am confident that this wont take too long to get it going. I just dont have the that much money to spend on a 9 yr. old vehicle.

Okay, here's where I'd be needing help. I need the tool to remove the camshaft pulley (one of them is already removed with the help of my FEMA friend), and a set of metric sockets (6 and 12 pt.) for removal of both the camshafts and heads. The block would NOT be removed. The front exhaust pipe bolts that attaches to the manifolds are already loosened so just the parts mentioned needs to be removed then I am off to a machine shop nearby (need a good suggestion where to go also). Once everything is taken off, I would slap on a new set of head gasket and new seals where is needed. BTW, all the parts that were removed had been properly labeled and I have an FSM for guidance.

Hoping that someone nearby have some time to help me out. I have missed a lot of coutless gatherings because of this not to mention that this is my daily driver. It would also be a opportunity to learn and meet new people at the same time. This coming weekend, I would be available or any weekend that you can give me. Please PM, email me at advientor@aol.com or just respond to this thread that I would be checking regularly.

Thank you to all in advance.

Last edited by RBA; 11-13-2003 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

just yank out that 3.0L and throw in a 3.4L!!
Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 AM
RBA

I seriously thought about doing the swap but I can't cash in that much $$$ right now not to mention my limited supply of tools.

I was just hoping to get some assistance from some guys here in the NOVA area to help me out. pleaseeeeeeeeeee.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Where are you in Fairfax? I'm leaving for England on friday through Dec 1, but I might be able to swing by nights and maybe some of friday.
Have you posted this before? There was a similar thread on 4x4wire that disappeared...
Old 11-18-2003, 02:20 PM

hey chard,

i don't know any of the NOVA guys that could help. most of the TTORA guys i knew don't hang out on any of the boards. good luck with the build and hopefully one of the 4roc members can help you out.

i'm in the same boat. i need to rebuild my 3vze but don't have the time or money. it's going to cost me around $3G to have one installed. it will cost me about the same to do it myself since i have to get new parts since i don't want down time.

good luck.
randy
Old 11-18-2003, 04:32 PM

best of luck

Best of luck to you I just did a tear down and it nearly broke me... I woul like to suggest a 3.4 mod if you really like the truck as it is a way better engine. or to sell it an put a down on a new one. If I blow another 3.0 Ill probably do the 3.4 conversion however Im worried about smog issues as Im in Cali..... either way good luck to you

hasta la Vista baby as our governer would say....
Big Kahuna
Old 11-19-2003, 04:14 PM
RBA

Originally posted by dajabr
Where are you in Fairfax? I'm leaving for England on friday through Dec 1, but I might be able to swing by nights and maybe some of friday.
Have you posted this before? There was a similar thread on 4x4wire that disappeared...
Hey Dajabr, you told me to post here after no one can help me out when I posted on 4x4wire.com. BTW, I live near Pan Am Shopping Center which is on RT.29 (Lee Hwy) and Nutley Street.
Email me at advientor@aol.com if you some time to spare.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 PM
RBA

Originally posted by beachtaco
hey chard,

i don't know any of the NOVA guys that could help. most of the TTORA guys i knew don't hang out on any of the boards. good luck with the build and hopefully one of the 4roc members can help you out.

i'm in the same boat. i need to rebuild my 3vze but don't have the time or money. it's going to cost me around $3G to have one installed. it will cost me about the same to do it myself since i have to get new parts since i don't want down time.

good luck.
randy
Hey Randy, how are you? Yeah, it's really pittyfull to work on this engines. I've missed a lot of gatherings b/c of the down time. If only I could get someone... I actually getting pretty close since only the crankshaft pulley, distributor and then the heads can be checked for flatness. If this thing works then I'll just let let it run till it dies then I'd put in a 3.4. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:16 PM

not too bad. i'm so tempted to sell the 4runner as is or trade it in for another truck. not sure especially with the holiday's rolling around. i have access to a spare 3vze but i need to buy a crankshaft and connecting rods which are $$$ parts to come around. or just pull mine out and be down with no vehicle for a week or two. i don't know. oh well... it's a toyota will last 4ever.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Hey what are you doing tomorrow/friday during the day? I emailed you tuesday but didn't get a reply...
Old 11-20-2003, 05:15 PM
RBA

Originally posted by dajabr
Hey what are you doing tomorrow/friday during the day? I emailed you tuesday but didn't get a reply...
Hey Dajabr, tomorrow, I got some spare time if you have. Give me a call at (703) 204-9020 instead of emailing me tomorrow b/c my computer is messed-up right now and I am using a friends' to check my emails and my bbs messages. Went to Sears today to get a chain tool to remove that stubborn crankshaft pulley. BTW, I also check my email on a daily basis and I didnt get any last Tuesday. Let me know. Thanks.