Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new battery, dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new battery, dead battery

well my original battery that came w/ the vehicle started to crap out and crank slower, until finally I had to get jump started @ work. (age was unknown on the battery) So i went out and just bought a cheap walmart everstart maxx battery (the biggest I could find) 825cca. the vehicle cranked over great after that and I could hear the starter spin strong.

Today my girlfriend moved the vehicle to go to work parked it, 2 hours later I came out to start it and it wouldn't even click. (She claimed it started fine for her) got a jump start again, (no acessories were left on) drove 30 minutes to work hoping it would recharge it. Got to work, shut it off and still no crank.

The only extra acessory I am running is a pair of ipf lights, which have not given me any problems.

Also my radio worked fine and I had none of the issues of a bad alternator.

I just read an article on finding a parasitic drain. I will try that as soon as I have time.

I am just wondering if I bought a crap battery, or if my alternator is charging, but not properly. I am going to get the battery and alternator tested on my lunch break.

I am just wondering if anybody has experienced this or has any insight. I am leaving on a long trip in 3 weeks 1400+ miles and trying to make sure it is road worthy.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had something similar happen earlier this year. original battery was toast, got the "platinum" battery from Advanced Auto Parts and the next couple days i didn't drive it much, but it cranked slowly when i did get in. then i had to have it jumped a couple times, left it running to charge the battery but still got a dead battery overnight. searched and found the stuff about the parasitic draw also, crossed my fingers hoping i didn't have to track down one of those in a Midwest January, alternator tested fine, so i took the new battery out and had it tested at the parts store. sure enough, they said it was toast as well, just said that sometimes the new batteries are crap right from the start, and since it was still under warranty they gave me a new one. it's been running fine ever since, almost 8 months.

so, i guess i just got a bad battery. have your new battery checked and see if it falls under warranty, if not, maybe buy a nicer non-WalMart battery that has a decent warranty. i paid $80 for mine and it has a 6 year warranty, no questions asked. good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your Walmart has an auto center, they should be able to test the battery & charging system. Check all your connections at the alternator, battery & chassis ground. Loose or corroded terminals can keep your battery from charging properly. Cars can sometimes go a long way on just the battery.
Good luck,
Paul