Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Advise quickly on buying 04 or 05 Sequoia!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
LV_4Runner

Need Advise quickly on buying 04 or 05 Sequoia!!

Dear all

I am currenly owning 97 4Runner. As my family is growing (new baby), I have been considering Sequoia and I think I can NOT wait anymore.

Check the dealer today and testdrove 05 4WD SR5. Here is what I observed and concerned, please help me to make wise decision quickly.

1. 04 Sequoia 4WD SR5 (MSRP around 38k), Alloy option package 1, roof rack, for light, cloth seat with Engine and A/T made in Japan.

2. 05 Sequioa 4WD SR5 (MSRP around 38k), Alloy option package 1, roof rack, for light, cloth seat with Engine made in Japan but A/T made in US.
=> But dealer unfortunately made ding in the middle of rear bumper (quater size dent and bumper step damaged). Dealer keeps saying "it is no big deal, we can fix it quickly, you will NOT notice it at all".

I expect the final price difference should be around 1.5k~2.0k between 04 and 05 even though those have very similar MSRP.

< Question >

1. Should I go with 04 as I can get a better deal and Japanese 4 Speed A/T mission?

2. Is the 5 speed A/T (made in US) in 05 Sequoia reliable one? do anybody know who is supplier of the 5 Speed A/T?

3. Should I buy 05 even though it is 2k more expensive, even though it has U.S A/T mission?

4. Or, do you guys think it is safe to buy the first 05 which has newly designed drive-train such as >280horses engine and 5 Speed A/T? I am concerned about reliability of the new product (increased horses and U.S made 5 speed A/T)

4. Is it ok to buy the car with ding fixed in the rear bumper? Is it commonly happening in the dealer lots? If I buy it with the ding fixed, would I have problem later?

Please I need to make decision quickly, any kind of advise will be certainly appreciated... thank you all.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pm'd you

I don't have advice other than test both and see what you like.
On a side note, (but directly affecting your purchase) I've pm'd you.

-wynn
Old 09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh no not a ding...

im jk i wish all mine had was a ding, my dads boss just got an 04 and i think its pretty cool
Old 09-21-2004, 05:34 PM

If you a thinking of selling the truck at some point I am not sure but I think you gain from buying an newer model.
I would prefer in all to made in Japan (that just me)
Why the rush, there must be more Sequoias at the dealers to get one w/o a dent.
C
PS: how many kids do you have? Do you need a sequoia on will a new 4runner do?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:43 PM
LV_4Runner

I have only one kid (even though I am expecting more... ). It is because I live with my parents. Tried some of other brand 3rd row seating cars such as Acura MDX, Honda Pilot. It feels rather too tight, 3rd row seating seems almost (at least to me) useless...

Regarding the new 4runner, I know it is good vehicle as I currently own 97 SR5 4WD with 105k miles runnning like only 2~3 year old car... However, I want to try a little more roomier one as a family SUV.

Actually, I even tried Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, Yes! those are huge and super-roomy cars (roomier than sequoia). But, at last I notice its' crash testing rating, poor!. Can NOT allow my wife and kid drive such poorly rated car!.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

sequoias are sweet

My brother just bought an 02 or 03 Sequoia last year. It had decent miles on it and he got a good deal. Anyway, I like em. But, with only one child I'm gonna hold off on something like that until we're at the 2 or 2.5 kid stage (2 or 2 with one on the way). By then I think I'll start looking at 2-3 year old Cruisers and Sequoias. That is, when I get done w/ school and get a salary job.
For now she can drive the 99

-wynn
Old 09-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Have you driven them both?
If I were in your shoes, and bought the 04, I would regret not buying the 05, because of the big HP jump. But then again, I would be towing something. If you are just using it as a mall runner, then maybe the 04 will suit your needs...

Last edited by SLC Punk; 09-22-2004 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Nam

I would rather go for '04. You know its reputation.

US made, assembled vehicle doesn't have the same quality control as Japan. IMHO.

Do you feel the difference in HP Jump and MPG.

Nam
Old 09-22-2004, 07:37 AM

The five speed auto is the same unit as the 4Runner and Lexus. there have been no reports of breakage here. Keep in mind that Toyota maintains its quality standards for domestically produced vehicles (Honda too) as they always score high on JD Powers surveys. Me, I'd take the 05. If it worries you that much you can buy a longer drivetrain warranty but I seriously doubt you would need to.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:42 AM

Two more years and bye bye to Montero hello Sequoia, Montero has been great but our three kids are growing.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

if the sequoia is getting the 5A/T that the 4th gen 4runners have then that A/T has to be built in japan. (or so I thought)

Unless they are deciding to build it here now (which wouldn't make sense). Are you sure you're reading it correctly? I would suspect that it's built there but assembled here (this would be more logical).

Good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 AM

The 05 is supposed have the vvti 282 horses compared to the 04 with 235 horses--I don't believe the new engine is out yet but I could be wrong--I know the new 4Runner with 270 vvti V8 doesn't arrive until December---If I were you I would wait for the bigger engine--it also gets better gas mileage
Old 09-22-2004, 11:16 AM

I would have bought a Seq but when I drove one and then rove the 4runner I discoverd that the 4runner had WAY more room than previous 4runners, and it was pleanty roomy. In fact I did not notice much of a difference in the room length wise (interior) btween the Seq and 4runner. The Seq just seemed to have more room between the seats (left to right). I decided on the 4runner as it is easier to park and drive, smaller, lights and pleanty big 4 me.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
LV_4Runner

To clarify.....

I checked both 04 and 05 in the dealer lot.

04 has window sticker stating the engine and transmission, both made in
Japan and the car was assembled in U.S.

05 has window sticker stating the engine made in Japan and transmission made in U.S and the final assemble point in Indiana U.S.

,then, I testdrove only 05, which has window sticker stating 282 hp and 5 speed A/T mission. Yes! it is out there in the market. I just testdrove it!.

I kind of decided to wait a little longer to have more choices in color/options. But I still need your opinion........
Old 09-23-2004, 09:31 PM

price seems high

I just bought my 2000 4runner off someone who bought a Sequoia. It's completely loaded with all options. He said he paid 32k out the door. Thats in Marin, Ca. mind you where taxes can't be any higher in the country.

What's up with the new six and eights anyways? Seems like the vvti engine needs 91 octane. Thats big bucks here at the pump.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I would have bought a Seq but when I drove one and then rove the 4runner I discoverd that the 4runner had WAY more room than previous 4runners, and it was pleanty roomy. In fact I did not notice much of a difference in the room length wise (interior) btween the Seq and 4runner. The Seq just seemed to have more room between the seats (left to right). I decided on the 4runner as it is easier to park and drive, smaller, lights and pleanty big 4 me.
I agree! I was tossing between the 4runner and the sequoia. When I compared price, performance, an dsize. I preferred the 4runner over the sequoia (of course). The new 4runner has the same engine, but all Japan made.

If you're decided on the sequoia. I'd say go with the '05. You won't regret the extra money you spent, but you'll regret not having the newer and more powerful engine and transmission. Toyota maintains high quality even in there US and Canada factory. Camry, avalon, tundra, and sienna are all made in us/canada (soon Mexico), and they all are excellent vehicles.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 AM
LV_4Runner

Thank you for all of your advise.

As to 4Runner over Sequoia, yes!, I totally agree with you. Yes! 4Runner is one of the best mid size SUV which I also own. Mine has 110k miles with original engine, A/T and everything except front brake rotors/pads (or course regular maintenance has been done...)

Still runs smooth and nice!. No complaint about 4Runner reliability at all!

Frankly, the reason why I am going with other than 4Runner is NOT because others are better but because I want to try others...^^;. I also agree that the 4Runner is rather more balanced than Sequoia from my own experience of test driving... a little bulky. Probably what I am looking for is, a huge/smooth/safe car for my wife and kids... Of course, I will keep driving my 97 4Runner...

By the way, I am in Detroit area and waiting for more 05 come into market for better choices (mainly for color...)
If you can recommend me any good dealer with better deal, it will be fantastic!!! I am even willing to purchase out of state say driving down to Ohio or Chicago area etc...

Regards,

Old 10-02-2004, 03:56 AM
LV_4Runner

Mark

Thank you for your willingness to hook me up.

Actually, I already got quote from Rinke Toyota, very prompt. It was like around 35.5k for 05 SR5 4WD with Alloy Pack #1, -KE,-RD, etc etc. Not much equipped version. Basically, with Toyota Option Combo pack #1.

Then, I called Rinke and he said that they do NOT have the actual vehicle in stock, what they can do is searching for such vehicle at such price for me ............hmmmmmmm...

I confirmed yesterday that another local dealer (other than what you listed...) just received a few SR5's. I will go and check the lot today...